Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 4 2014, 03:02 AM   #721
Shanndee
Commodore

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah and she was also pretty damn devastated when she learned she couldn't have kids. So clearly she was not completely opposed to the idea.

And there was also that episode where, after continually avoiding ever holding Lily's baby, she finally relented and ended up loving it. And then spent the entire night holding him.

If she could be persuaded back then, surely 20 years later she might be even more open to the idea of kids.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so quickly. When one of my friends (who didn't want kids) found out she was infertile she was devastated as well. But her devastation came from an identity crisis. She felt being infertile somehow made her a failure as a woman. Her thing was "I still don't want kids, but being told I can't is a different thing all together. Am I still a real woman?" So those feelings can be very, very complex.

Also, as Wisaboo said, you don't have to hate kids to not want them. You can really love your friends kids and still not have any interest in being a parent yourself. (I present myself as exhibit A in this instance! )

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 05:01 PM   #722
davejames
Vice Admiral

All true, but I suspect Ted wouldn't have considered asking out Robin again if it was obvious she had no interest whatsoever in being a stepmother. In fact it's likely that by the time the two of them did get married (if they even wanted such a thing), the kids would have already moved out of the house anyway.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 10:17 PM   #723
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm watching last nights The Soup.

"It's a sad day, the final episode of How I met Your Mother aired last night... In case you missed it, he met her in a Philippino Whore House, and she gave him AIDS"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 01:09 AM   #724
Chilli
Commodore

The kids thing wasn't even the deal-breaker for Ted and Robin in my eyes. That's not the thing that made the ending feel so hollow.

What made it feel so hollow is that Ted and Robin, to me, didn't seem to really "get" one another. Not in the same way Tracy and Barney got them, respectively.

I know that's all extremely subjective, esp. considering how all-over-the-place the chracterizations have been ever since this show stopped being great. Ted in particular suffered. The lovable, eccentric, and slightly dorky romantic of the early seasons was more and more turning into a pretentious superdork. By the time The Mother was introduced, it seemed hard to imagine that anyone would actually dig Ted's many quirks ... but thanks to Cristin Milioti's fantastic portrayal, and some bits and pieces of decent writing, it felt to me that The Mother really did. Robin, on the other hand, felt like someone who was willing to accept Ted's quirks, because under all the dorkiness, he was still a decent and reliable guy. For Robin, it was worth putting up with Ted's quirks. The Mother actually thrived on them.

(Yes, this is all pretty Ted-centric - to me, Robin actually became *unpleasant* with the character assassination the writers dumped on her in later seasons. Seriously, what the hell was up with her treatment of Patrice?)

You know, I've actually had a Ted-Robin relationship. There was nothing wrong with it. We got along fine, we still do. My Robin and I get together every few months for coffee, beer, or shots, depending on our respective mindsets. We inevitably end up talking about the romantic misadventures we're going through now/have gone through since. Their parallel nature makes me wonder if we subconciously agreed to subject ourselves to the same mental injures at the same time. And whenever we discuss the wounds we've suffered and/or inflicted on ourselves, we both start thinking about how much easier it'd be to just say "oh, screw it", hook up again, and give up on the whole idea of ever having the kinds of conversations Ted and Tracy had under that umbrella. My god did the conversation Ted and Robin re:"If we're both in our forties, and [...]" remind me of her/us. But, we've both so far managed to remember that, to paraphrase Barney, that isn't the dream.

Now this'll come off as a bit melodramatic, but regardless of how awful HIMYM has mostly been this last year, it's kind of helped me deal with some shit in my own life - or at least has given me some temporary relief from it. Last August, my then-girlfriend, after almost three years, revealed herself to be more Stella than Victoria, and left a gaping hole where my heart once was. Said hole is still there, and will be for some time. In trying to prevent myself from becoming a complete cynic, I actually *really appreciated* glimpses of the Ted-Tracy dynamic. They felt so real, and so relatable - even for a no-longer-that-young eccentric romantic/pretentious dork as firmly stuck in a my-insides-are-dead-and-I-will-never-love-again mindset as I was/am.

Yeah, I know nobody can/should demand that fiction tells the stories you want to see/hear/read, but given all that, there was no way for me to feel about the reveal but ... sad.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 01:20 AM   #725
Mr Light
Admiral

^^

Well said!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 02:04 AM   #726
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Maybe the sitcom "Why I dumped your Stepmother" could be all about Tracy and Ted?

Old April 5 2014, 04:42 AM   #727
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I love how everyone has a different view of the finale that seems to be based on their own life experiences.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 08:16 AM   #728
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yes, that is weird, since everyone is exactly the same.

Old April 5 2014, 09:37 AM   #729
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

There's going to be an alternate ending including on the dvd.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 12:07 PM   #730
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
There's going to be an alternate ending including on the dvd.
Was just about to post this.

Wondering, if they will splice it into the actual episode and make it watchable as the actual ending or if it will be just a cut scene essentially.

Same goes for the supposedly cut 18 additional minutes.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 12:39 PM   #731
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

For some reason I doubt that the alternative ending let's the mother stay alive either.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 12:57 PM   #732
Mr Light
Admiral

Huzzah! I hope this is a happy ending that has Ted and Tracy living happily ever after and then I can chose that to be my canon!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 01:18 PM   #733
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Hopefully in the alternate version, Tracy wasn't sick...so Robin murdered her.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 01:20 PM   #734
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I doubt it, because they said they only filmed one scene. It's the editing that makes the alt ending. That would mean that the kids scene won't be in it because all they talk about is Aunt Robin and Ted (and the 6 years gone mother).

And it is pretty cool that Lyndsy and David kept the ending to themselves for 7 or so years.
Old April 5 2014, 03:01 PM   #735
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
And it is pretty cool that Lyndsy and David kept the ending to themselves for 7 or so years.
That's what NDAs are for.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote