New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Pine To Star In New Drama
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 2 2014, 05:18 PM   #691
Campe98
Commodore

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

^This.
Old April 2 2014, 05:41 PM   #692
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
It's more of a hopeful ending than a fairytale one.
It's not hopeful. It's insane. Ted and Robin are trying to do the same thing again and again expecting different results. And yet, the same thing keeps happening over and over...
Old April 2 2014, 05:54 PM   #693
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's more of a hopeful ending than a fairytale one.
Oh, so Ted is at the very same state he was right before he met the mother: trying to chase girls just to not be alone anymore, and still reaching after Robin.

Now he's not only the guy who was left at the altar, but also the guy who found the mother of his children and then witnessed her death.

What a great hopeful ending.
Old April 2 2014, 06:32 PM   #694
davejames
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
It's not hopeful. It's insane. Ted and Robin are trying to do the same thing again and again expecting different results. And yet, the same thing keeps happening over and over...
Except that they're not a bunch of messed up 20 and 30 year olds anymore. Not only are they both a lot older and more mature, but unlike the previous times (where one was always more interested than the other, or they wanted to hook up for the wrong reasons), it seemed pretty clear at the end that they both wanted to be together now.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Oh, so Ted is at the very same state he was right before he met the mother: trying to chase girls just to not be alone anymore, and still reaching after Robin.

Now he's not only the guy who was left at the altar, but also the guy who found the mother of his children and then witnessed her death.

What a great hopeful ending.
And also the guy who made it clear that he enjoyed and cherished every moment he had with the Mother. And they had a great 11 years together.

At the point he was telling the story, he hardly sounded horribly crushed and depressed about his life, or the cards he had been dealt.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:43 PM   #695
Campe98
Commodore

Ted loved Tracy. Ted spent eleven happy years with her. They had two kids. They got married... Eventually. She got sick. She died. He mourned. His kids want him to move on. He's trying to move on. What happens after is up to your imagination. If you want Ted and Robin to be happy? They're happy. You want them to break up? They break up. You want Robin to die falling from the window seconds after the show cuts to black? That can happen too. They left it ambiguous for you to decide. The idea is: they're going to give it a shot. They're in different places than they were during the bulk of the show. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. It's a hopeful ending. Not insane. Not stupid. Hopeful.

I'm done. This argument is just going in circles. Time to just agree to disagree and move on.
Old April 2 2014, 07:14 PM   #696
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Except that they're not a bunch of messed up 20 and 30 year olds anymore. Not only are they both a lot older and more mature, but unlike the previous times (where one was always more interested than the other, or they wanted to hook up for the wrong reasons), it seemed pretty clear at the end that they both wanted to be together now.
All we know is Ted and Robin aren't in their 30s by the end of the episode. We really know NOTHING of the people they are when Ted finishes the story. Robin could be a pill popping diva for all we know--there's nothing that contradicts that. Ted could have a drinking problem--nothing contradicts that.

We know they are older because there's grey in their hair and the title card tells us what year it is, but, we don't know they are more mature. Ted had to tell a story about how he met the kids mom in order to say, hey, I'm interested in your Aunt Robin... does that really scream mature? It feels like the same old Ted.

In the end, my big problem with the "twist" ending--besides dumping the relationship with the mother into the dust bin-- it's totally not earned. We don't know Ted and Robin at that moment in their lives. We don't see how they are, how they have changed and that this time it would work.
Old April 2 2014, 08:22 PM   #697
selina
Fleet Captain

Am I the only one who saw it coming that
I thought that this was foreshadowed, probably by one of Ted's voice-overs (but I don't remember in which episode it was).

To put my two cents in, I get it why the finale is polarizing but personally, I was okay with it. It was a bittersweet ending whereat the sad thing was to see how best friends drift apart over the years. Which I find very realistic. The "message" I take from this is: Cherish the unique moments with your friends while you can. As for Ted and Robin, I agreee with Campe98, it's entirely up to you.

So, the only thing that didn't work so well for me were the timejumps foreward. It was like seeing their future lives in fast motion and I wish there had been less jumps. It felt a bit rushed.
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 08:37 PM   #698
tighr
Commodore

selina wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who saw it coming that
I thought that this was foreshadowed, probably by one of Ted's voice-overs (but I don't remember in which episode it was).
It has been foreshadowed for years. The mother dying has been a fan favorite theory since at least the 5th or 6th season.
Old April 2 2014, 08:43 PM   #699
selina
Fleet Captain

^ Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Usually I don't follow HIMYM online discussions.
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 09:25 PM   #700
Chilli
Commodore

I'm not going to say anything here that hasn't been said by others, but ...

... I didn't have a problem with the story the show ended up telling. I do have a problem with how it was told. There was nothing wrong with the story, but there was everything wrong with the storytelling.

Stuff like Ted's plan at the end happens, and at times, it even works. My grandfather actually did something similar: after my grandparents got divorced, he reconnected with his high school girlfriend, also divorced by then. They eventually got married, and lived happily ever after - i.e., a few decades, before one of them had a stroke and died at a ripe old age. They were a better couple than my grandparents were, and they were certainly a better couple that their high school selves were. The very valid reason they didn't work as teenagers weren't there any more when they were both divorcees in their 40's - they weren't the same people any more.

Maybe the same applies to Ted and Robin. It's not impossible or even implausible. But that's not what they showed us. They just showed us a painfully lenghty demonstration as to why they didn't work as a young couple. Then they showed us Ted actually working very well with somebody else (I'm split on Barney-Robin) .. and then, bang, she's dead. Literally minutes from their first meeting. And then we learn that older versions of the people that were awful as a couple in their youth try to hook up again later in life, with us having no way of knowing how and how much they've changed since. Ted had six years to get over Tracy's death. We had, what, fifteen seconds? Meh. Life can be pretty depressing, but it's rarely *that* depressing.

Horrible, horrible story framing. If this was the story they wanted to tell us, they shouldn't have introduced us to the mother at all. No face, no name. The fact that she was as lovely as she was, and that she *felt* so right for Ted, is the only thing that gave this show any heart this season. Then, almost as an afterthought, they cut they heart out.
Chilli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 10:36 PM   #701
davejames
Vice Admiral

I never thought Ted and Robin were all that "awful" as a couple, or that their relationship was "toxic" as others have been saying.

They clearly wanted different things when they were younger, and there were some trust issues and moments of jealousy from either side at different points, but it's not like they were throwing furniture at the walls or shooting up heroin together or anything. Lol

Ultimately it was always clear that they cared for each other and had feelings for each other. If the Mother had never died it's likely nothing more ever would have been made of it. But she did die, so the fact Ted might try (after a long grieving period) to reconnect with Robin one more time makes perfect sense.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 11:07 PM   #702
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

^ it makes sense to me.
Old April 2 2014, 11:08 PM   #703
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The mother didn't die.
Old April 2 2014, 11:21 PM   #704
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

Holy crap! That Teddy Roosevelt connection is awesome! So the constant talk of TR in the third to last episode was a huge amount of blatant foreshadowing!!! That's great!!!

Still hate the ending though
Old April 3 2014, 12:31 AM   #705
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

I've only seen the finale once, but after they had all drifted apart, didn't Robin tell Lily that it would be weird hanging out with her ex-husband and the guy she should probably have been with all along?