A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 2 2014, 10:45 AM   #676
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post

I like this one better.
Ditto.
Sames.
Definitely going to pretend that this is the real end to the show. For. Ever.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 11:01 AM   #677
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In the spinoff is 31 going to be the Mother, and the money shot after 9 years is that they introduce Barney as the Father?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 11:48 AM   #678
Australis
Writer

So glad I stopped watching this show a long time ago. Just came in to see how it actually ended, and glad I missed that.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:18 PM   #679
Mr Light
Admiral

I really wanted that happy ending with the Mother. I'm basically where Ted is in the final season, and I want to meet my Tracy dammit

<<And it's funny how having Ted end up with the mother happily ever after would be unrealistic or schmaltzy or fairy tale or typical Hollywood, but Ted ending up with Robin happily ever after isn't. >>

In fitting with the tone of the finale, I'm sure Robin gets slaughtered by a serial killer five years after they finally get together. He probably kills Penny and Luke too. Because, you know, not everybody gets their fairytale ending

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:22 PM   #680
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What would be funny, is after Ted asks permission from the kids, that the boy (Kenny?) says, "Sorry, Dad, but Aunt Robin and I are in love and we're going to get married."

But that's just me.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 12:24 PM   #681
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I found my Tracy already. And I surely hope she doesn't die after we get a couple of kids. And I'm certainly not going to bounce back to the ex girlfriend I had troubles getting over ten years ago if she dies.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:21 PM   #682
Campe98
Commodore

First, God forbid, I hope you're right and you or your Tracy doesn't get sick and die. It could happen though. But if either of you do, wouldn't you want to spend every moment you can together? And wouldn't you be happy for those moments? And you know what? You're right. You probably wouldn't end up back with your ex from ten years ago. But you can't say for certain. Losing your Tracy could change you. Time could change your ex. You and your ex could be two very different people and just be in the right place for each other.

But, don't you think Ted of April 2014... The Ted who's very happy and about to go back to Farhampton with his Tracy... Don't you think he would say the same thing you did about Robin? I admit, they did not do a good job explaining that on Monday night, but I'm pretty sure that's the intent.

I don't deny that it's a bit of a stretch Ted and Robin ending up together. The truth is, that aspect of the show was always hard to swallow for me -- exes hanging out. I barely even speak to my exes. But, the reality of the story is: people die. Sometimes unexpectedly. And Ted and Robin had reconnected over the years. Perhaps because of a Tracy before the wedding. Robin suggests as much in the last scene as MacLarens. Ten years later, that friendship, which was once a romance in this case, could turn into something more. Friends become lovers. It does happen. That's real as well.
Old April 2 2014, 01:28 PM   #683
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I had time to sleep over the ending. I hated it initially, now I am kind of ok with it.

It's not the fairy tale ending most of us wished for. Tough.

The one problem I had with it, is that I liked Tracy a whole lot better than Robin and that made me root for her happy ending more than Ted's and Robin's.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:35 PM   #684
RunawayStarShip
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The events that occur in the finale are not unrealistic... life is "messy". The main problem is that it is a lot of stuff to be crammed into 44 minutes of air time.

The second problem (which is partially related to the first one) seems to be that the writers and producers weren't sure how the audience would receive Cristin Milioti as The Mother, so they tried to maintain focus on the big five for most of the season. Of course, in hindsight, Milioti was wonderful and Tracy was written very well.

The third problem (and this is also partially related to the first one) is the mood whiplash induced by the final scene with Ted's kids, which was filmed way back in season 2. After a montage of photos of Ted and Tracy living happily together, overlapped with bits of their wedding, and finally meeting while Future Ted narrates how he is eternally grateful that he had met her... Ted's kids kind of laugh it off with a "that's it?" It almost seems that ending was filmed more with an intention that Ted had a failed marriage with one of his many girlfriends and that he had not dated for 6 years... which is more in line with the early seasons.

Ted's kids encouraging Ted to give Robin one last shot after 6 years of mourning Tracy isn't a bad thing in itself, but it needed to be a more serious and somber moment than what we got. Ending with the blue horn scene after a more serious and somber encouragement would have been a sufficiently hopeful ending.
RunawayStarShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:43 PM   #685
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

As someone upstream said, it looks like Robin is not traveling as much if at all (the 5 dogs). Maybe she's doing 60 Minutes now, or a network anchor based in NY.
Old April 2 2014, 02:14 PM   #686
Campe98
Commodore

So, interesting Teddy Roosevelt fact... He was married twice. The first time to the live of his life. She died after shortly after giving birth to their second child. The second, to a friend.

While visiting his sister and baby Alice on Christmas, he was reintroduced to an old friend, Edith Carrow. During his childhood years, Theodore and Edith had been sweethearts of sorts. While away in Europe for the first time, Teddy had written Edith all about his adventures. As a young girl and teenager, Edith had always assumed the two would someday eventually marry. For some unknown reason, however, the two stopped talking suddenly, soon after Teddy left for college but before he met Alice Lee. Edith later claimed that Teddy had proposed to her and that she declined at the time, saying she was not yet ready. In a letter to his sister, Theodore simply writes that he and Edith had a disagreement, but neglects to mention why. Edith congratulated Teddy at the announcement of his engagement to Alice, but truly felt crushed. When the two met again in 1885, Edith's hopes of marrying Teddy were renewed. Roosevelt, however, was more reluctant to marry again. He had always regarded marriage as sacred and had believed that marrying twice for any reason either showed a flaw in character or, in the case of the death of a spouse, unfaithfulness. It had also been less than two years since Alice had died, and Theodore felt extremely guilty for having even thought of loving Edith. But, after months of deep thinking and with the encouragement of his friends and remaining family, Theodore proposed to Edith in 1886. The two married in December of the same year.
Link
Old April 2 2014, 03:33 PM   #687
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Rageforthemachine wrote: View Post
Ted tells his kids the story of the mother, but it focuses so much on Robin that it is obvious he still has feelings for her. So was he still carrying this torch for her the whole time? Was that the reason it took 7 years for Ted and Tracy to get married??
Interesting. Something to think about.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Again, living happily ever after with the mother is fairy tale, but living happily ever after with Robin isn't?
I like the ending because of the twist itself, not because Ted ended up with Robin.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:35 PM   #688
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Campe98 wrote: View Post
So, interesting Teddy Roosevelt fact... He was married twice. The first time to the love of his life. She died after shortly after giving birth to their second child. The second, to a friend.
Alice died the same day at TR's mother, as I recall, so it was a double emotional blow.

If I remember correctly, there's only one existing photograph of Alice Roosevelt, and very little of their correspondence has survived. Roosevelt went out of his way to behave as though Alice never existed, and he carefully tried to erase her memory because he was so devastated by her death.

There's some thought that the reason TR's daughter Alice was such a wild child was because TR found her too emotional painful to deal with because she reminded me too much of his first wife.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:41 PM   #689
tighr
Commodore

One of the things that I was hoping for from the finale was that we would get an explanation of why the story had to start with meeting Robin in McLaren's.

For the last several seasons, I had thought that the reason the story of how Ted met the Mother started way back in 2005 because he needed to meet Robin in order to be at Barney and Robin's wedding where he would meet the Mother. But there was something just not quite right about that, because if he was dedicated to sitting down and telling such a long story, he should rightfully have started with meeting Barney 4 years earlier.

Of course Bays and Thomas had no way of knowing 9 years ago how the show was really going to go, but the only indication in the pilot episode of why the story starts there is because it was the day Ted decided he wanted to settle down and get married for the first time.
Old April 2 2014, 05:05 PM   #690
davejames
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Again, living happily ever after with the mother is fairy tale, but living happily ever after with Robin isn't?
That's just it though. The finale wasn't saying that Ted and Robin will live happily ever after (if the writers wanted us to believe that, then they easily could have just shown us that, like they showed us everyone else's future).

Instead it was only stating that these two-- who had something really special at one time-- will attempt to reconnect once more later in their lives. Maybe it will work, and maybe it won't. The point is that Ted decides (six years after the death of his wife) that it's at least worth it to try.

It's more of a hopeful ending than a fairytale one.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote