Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2014, 04:36 PM   #616
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I'm still kind of bummed out this morning. Even though I know the show wasn't called How I Met the Love of My Life
Old April 1 2014, 04:45 PM   #617
Agent Richard07
Admiral

From I storytelling perspective, I maintain that the finale was brilliant and well crafted, as was much of the show's structure. I'm surprised by all the backlash I'm seeing all over the net. I'm not totally oblivious to where people are coming from though. It wasn't a fairy tale ending and certain things didn't unfold in a logical manner. But life is rarely like that and this was a big part of what the show was about.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 05:00 PM   #618
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
From I storytelling perspective, I maintain that the finale was brilliant and well crafted, as was much of the show's structure.
I guess "brilliance of storytelling" is just a matter of opinion then.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 05:05 PM   #619
tighr
Commodore

They ended the show the way they wanted to end the show. Is everyone happy? Probably not. I think the decision to spread out the final season as a single weekend was a bad one. If they wanted to do something unique, they should have made each episode a year.

The way I would have done it:

S09E01 (May 2013) - Robin/Barney Wedding,
S09E02 (still 2013) - meet Tracy at the end of the episode
S09E03 (2013) - First year dating the love of his life, Lily Marshall move to Rome, etc
S09E04 (2014) - Anniversary at the hotel, Lily Marshall move back to New York
S09E05 (2015) - Engagement, Penny, Star Wars, start to see problems for Barney

...etc. After a full season of spending time seeing Ted and Tracy in love, the central conflict for the season comes from the gang losing contact and spreading apart, but still trying to reconnect at least once a year. We gradually would get to see Barney and Robin drift apart, maybe not in three years/episodes, but maybe by November Sweeps. We get hints along the way that Tracy has a health problem, and then the climax of the show comes in episode 14 when she finally passes away. The next six episodes of the season show Ted growing sad but realizing that he was lucky to have spent 11 years with the love of his life, him finally coming around, growing as a person, and in the second to last episode of the series (S09E20 - 2030) decides to sit down and tell his kids the story of how he met their mother, but to do so he has to start at the beginning, then they realize he still loves Robin after all, then the final (hour long) episode is your typical sitcom finale with everyone hugging and crying and whatever. 22 episodes covering 17 years.
Old April 1 2014, 05:23 PM   #620
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

This was a show that liked to pretend it was about life not being a fairy tale, but more often than not it went for the cozy fairy tale resolution anyway. (The much-praised "Last Words" is a case in point; after dancing around the reality that we don't always get picturesque goodbyes with our loved ones, the episode gives Marshall that final "I love you" anyway.) Most of the finale reflects that. In real life someone like Barney would be sleazing it up with twenty-somethings until he died of a heart attack in his late 50s, but instead he gets a magic new baby and instantly turns into a doting papa. In real life Lily would give up on art and Marshall would give up on changing the world and they'd wind up bland professionals leading dull lives for the sake of their kids, but instead they get a year in Rome from a magical benefactor and he becomes a judge despite never demonstrating competence, let alone skill, on screen. And none of that's a surprise, because How I Met Your Mother was never an emotionally realistic show. It was a sentimental romantic comedy that used various narrative tricks to obscure and distract from that traditional core.

The very way in which the final Ted/Robin scene plays out is evidence of the show's rom-com mentality. Given everything that's happened between the two of them, all the ups and downs and missed connections and personal losses, a cutesy callback to the blue French horn is the last way in the world Ted would realistically bring up a possible return to their relationship. That's the kind of sentimental shorthand you use when the bond between two characters is a soulmates/destiny/other-cliche-here kind of thing. And that's the problem: the show wants to give Ted that kind of happy ending, but it can't commit to either Robin or Tracy being the one, so it tries to split the difference. It's not realism: it's two kinds of reassuring romanticism, awkwardly stitched together.
Old April 1 2014, 05:50 PM   #621
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

You guys are missing the entire point. The Mother has always been a McGuffin. She's the Island on LOST. The story has never actually been about how Ted met her. It's about the growth and maturation he had to do in order to be ready to be with Robin. Just about everything we needed to know about how the show would end has been included in the episodes this season, much like how all the clues we needed to figure out WTF was going on over on LOST were finally made known in the first episode of its final season.

The Ted Mosbys out there are searching for "the one." The perfect soul mate who completes their expectation of what an ideal relationship should and must be. Tracy was exactly that. The reality of the situation is that most of the Ted Mosbys out there probably won't find her.

Too, and I seem to go back to this over and over again this season, this is the story the writers wanted to tell and the show they wanted to make.

From a certain perspective, there is the entirely legitimate ownership of that that the writers have every right to. Call me a Hollywood douche for agreeing with it, but we're fans; they're the creators. They know what they're doing. This is the story they chose to tell. Nothing they shot seven years ago made them do it; this is what they WANTED to do.

Thematically, it ties together perfectly and all the clues, all the foreshadowing all the necessary information to deduce this on our own has been there all along. The twist ending of the pilot episode -- "That's how I met your Aunt Robin" -- we should have known (and I started to suspect once Robin and Barney got divorced) that this was exactly how the show would end. This finale fulfilled exactly what those seven words were brimming over with in that entire episode. It's a great twist ending for a pilot episode and it is ultimately a satisfying precursor to an epic love story.

Re: Barney: The womanizer finally meets his match not in Robin but his own daughter. Who "Number 31" is doesn't really matter in the equation because she isn't the one we've been watching for 9 years - Barney is. We can assume she became part of Barney's life as the mother of his child, but his daughter was the one to finally teach him and let him grow out of his immaturity. A father's love for his daughter is a powerful one and I completely bought that Barney would change his ways under those circumstances.

Likewise, as delightful as Tracy has been, she's also not one of the five characters we have been watching for nine years. That the resolution of her arc has caused such an uproar is as much a testament to the writers crafting such a perfect character to complement Ted as it is to Milioti's performance, but our interest, our emotional investment has always been with Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin, both from from a narrative standpoint and from the our vantage point as the audience. Narratively speaking, it makes complete sense that this whole ziz-zag tale would ultimately be about Ted and Robin.

Besides, if you want to feel bad for someone or be angry about something, how about Bob Saget? The man narrates the show for 9 years and doesn't utter a single word in the entire 44 minutes of the finale, let alone ever even appear on screen.

Clearly I'm in the minority here with this opinion and I'm likely to get eviscerated for it, but I thought the finale was beautiful, heartbreaking, and ultimately very good. This show knows how to dole out the feels, and that's exactly what they did last night.

Did the mother drive to the wedding? I think so. Where did the fucking pinapple come from? I don't know. But just like with all those mysteries on LOST that people got so hung up over after the finale, it doesn't really matter. These nitpicks aren't what How I Met Your Mother was about.
Old April 1 2014, 06:00 PM   #622
tighr
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
The story has never actually been about how Ted met her. It's about the growth and maturation he had to do in order to be ready to be with Robin.
Yeah, that's what I said in my post about the hypothetical six episodes after the mother dies. The point is that after the mother dies, he still has some growing to do (getting over her) before he's ready to be with Robin. All we see is him go back to Robin literally 30 seconds after the mother dies.

Did the mother drive to the wedding? I think so. But just like with all those mysteries on LOST that people got so hung up over after the finale, it doesn't really matter. These nitpicks aren't what How I Met Your Mother was about.
What, like literally? No, we saw her on the train with Lily. She stole Darren's van when he was being a douche, and was going to drive back to the city.
Old April 1 2014, 06:01 PM   #623
davejames
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post

The very way in which the final Ted/Robin scene plays out is evidence of the show's rom-com mentality. Given everything that's happened between the two of them, all the ups and downs and missed connections and personal losses, a cutesy callback to the blue French horn is the last way in the world Ted would realistically bring up a possible return to their relationship. That's the kind of sentimental shorthand you use when the bond between two characters is a soulmates/destiny/other-cliche-here kind of thing. And that's the problem: the show wants to give Ted that kind of happy ending, but it can't commit to either Robin or Tracy being the one, so it tries to split the difference. It's not realism: it's two kinds of reassuring romanticism, awkwardly stitched together.
Yeah the show liked to indulge in the usual rom-com cliches now and then, but the finale was hardly suggesting that Ted and Robin will go on to live "happily ever after" with no issues whatsoever from now on. As with the series as a whole, what the finale tried to make clear is just how messy and complicated life can be, and that sometimes great things don't always last.

For all we know, Ted and Robin only end up dating for another few years and split up again. All the finale was stating was that Ted decides at that point in time to finally move on and give it another shot with this girl he's had feelings for.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 06:18 PM   #624
davejames
Vice Admiral

Clearly I'm in the minority here with this opinion and I'm likely to get eviscerated for it, but I thought the finale was beautiful, heartbreaking, and ultimately very good. This show knows how to dole out the feels, and that's exactly what they did last night.
Agreed.

Granted, it probably helps that I always thought Ted and Robin had boatloads more chemistry together than any of the other couples (no matter how much they forced it, I never bought Robin putting up for long with Barney's childish and immature behavior-- and the doubts she had about him before the wedding seemed more than reasonable).

But more than that, I just loved that they stayed true to the spirit of the show as a whole. With how much time they passed, and with everything we've seen before, it was only natural that there would continue to be conflicts and issues and that certain "perfect" relationship wouldn't last. All the finale did was condense 3 or 4 seasons of that drama into one hour-long episode.
Old April 1 2014, 06:37 PM   #625
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I can see why people liked the finale. If you were engaged by the five main characters rather than by the story around the mother, of course the decision to stick to the original plan and treat her merely as a plot device is going to work for you. But there were people who cared about the mother, which is why the creators kept dropping hints about her over the years and eventually made her a recurring character in the final season. They were engaged in a well-intentioned but deeply futile effort to please people who liked a version of the show they'd never intended to make. That may be "what they wanted to do," and I don't begrudge writers in a mass medium for casting a wide net. But it's perfectly understandable that people are unhappy with the way things played out.
Old April 1 2014, 07:21 PM   #626
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

What a crap finale that was because of one event!

Seriously.. the show is called "How i met your mother" and then they kill her off in the finale after Ted spent 10 friggin' years looking for her in the show?

I know the show is about the journey one takes in their life and how each decision leads you to certain points you may not have reached otherwise but i felt that somewhere in the later season Ted has done everything he could (if you want to express it that way) and there was really no character growth anymore. The show at that point was just stalling for 2-3 seasons or more because it was so successful and meeting the mother would mean the end of the show so they kept on to milk the cow as much as possible.

When you put the Pilot and Finale next to each other it's also disengenious.. "And that's how i met your aunt Robin!" was brilliant at the time because it turned the trope of "Will they/won't they" in its head by instantly saying they will not end up together (at least that's what the audience thought at the time). Now apparently the plan was to have Ted and Robin together with the mother being merely an obstacle that was brushed aside to have this apparently huge message (and i think the writers even believe they're clever and did a good story finale).

Radnor and Milloti had so much chemistry together in the few scenes we got with them together that i am pretty much pissed right now thinking that's all we'll ever get. We won't see her integrate in the circle of friends, have her bond with them more closely and develop some running gags of her own and we won't fully see Ted arrive at the finish line with her and be happy for the rest of his life.

It's just bad and a self serving shocker finale so everybody will talk about it (and they do.. i've read respectable news sites today that had an article about the season finale on the front page!).

It's not all bad though.. i even bought the divorce of Robin and Barney because things like this happen in real life often enough. For every happy couple like Marshall and Lily there is one that doesn't make it.. doesn't even have to be their fault but sometimes life intervenes and makes enough problems to cause a rift.

I also liked the aspect of close friends drifting apart because that happens too.. happened to me too(my circle of friends is vastly different than it was 20 years ago) and it is inevitable sometimes.

So it's not a total loss but they still blew one of the main aspects of the show and that will stand forever. The last few seasons were not really of the usual quality but the final season picked up really well so i was hopeful we'll get a finale that the fans had been waiting for years.. instead we got a huge bummer finale just because two showrunners thought they needed to turn everything around and be "unique".
Old April 1 2014, 07:24 PM   #627
AliciaD496
Fleet Captain

View AliciaD496's Twitter Profile

I've always been a Robin and Ted shipper, even after it all seemed kind of useless and hopeless. Thing is that last scene in the finale was fairly open ended. By her smile and what the kids said it seems like Robin might be receptive to Ted wooing her again, but she could just reject him all over again for all we know. I think one of the things the show talked about was how certain relationships happen at certain times in our lives, and perhaps Robin and Ted weren't meant to work out until after he'd gotten his 'happily ever after' with Tracey and she was all traveled out and settled into a different and less active point in her career. It seems like Robin's already helped Ted and the kids heal from the loss of Tracey, so it seems natural that she might become a more official part of the family especially after six years.

I felt a little cheated by the Barney plot line not being expanded a little, but it seems that he's happy and finally gotten something he at least subconsciously wanted (a child) as well.

Otherwise I really liked the finale. But from those who supported the Robin and Barney relationship and were frustrated by Ted's on and off pining for Robin I can see why they wouldn't have liked it.
Old April 1 2014, 07:29 PM   #628
Campe98
Commodore

Here are my full, unedited thoughts on this one...

My Review
Old April 1 2014, 08:37 PM   #629
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Great review, Campe98! Very persuasive arguments!

I haven't watched the show in a few years. I've been so spoiled by episodic TV dramas that sitcoms... HIMYM included... just aren't as fun as they used to be. I had thought to come back for the finale anyway, but I'm almost glad I didn't. I think I would have been bummed out like so many others who watched.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:14 PM   #630
davejames
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Now apparently the plan was to have Ted and Robin together with the mother being merely an obstacle that was brushed aside to have this apparently huge message (and i think the writers even believe they're clever and did a good story finale).
I think you're seriously misreading the episode. Ted really did fall totally in love with the Mother and made it clear that he cherished every moment they spent together.

It was only 6 years after her death that he told this story to his kids that revealed just how much he once loved Robin, and which suggested to his kids that maybe he was finally ready to move on.

The finale was hardly saying the Mother was just an "obstacle to be brushed aside."