Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2014, 02:20 AM   #571
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Wow , that was the worst finale I've ever seen. It makes Battlestar look like Citizen Kane.

Seriously, they spend an entire season on Barney and Robin's wedding along with Ted finally getting over Robin and they just fucking throw it all away. I knew that Tracy would die, they foreshadowed it during the season, but they did her a huge disservice by having her die off screen and by making her second to Robin, despite her being perfect for Ted and for her being the mother of his children.

I am so full of hate right now. It is Mass Effect all over again.
I think this may be a case of a series that outgrew its planned ending, which might have worked better had it resolved after 4-5 seasons and not dragged out the quest for the Mother whilst throwing all kinds of roadblocks between Ted and Robin.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:27 AM   #572
Scout101
Admiral

I didn't mind the ending, it kinda fit. Sweet, funny, etc. When looking back, though, it's kinda odd that they spent the whole last season on Robin and Barney's wedding if it really didn't matter or play into things so much. I mean, only way it really was big in the story was that, I suppose, it was the last time they really spent time together as 'the gang'. Things changed after that.

Ending wasn't top of my list, but liked it. Felt they could have spent a little more time with the mother at the end, though. She just got a quick "when she got sick" line, and then was gone. We'd already gotten bits around it, but still felt rushed. Didn't need a whole thing, just felt quick.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:35 AM   #573
the G-man
Commodore

I thought it worked very well without being overly telegraphed.

Throughout the series there were hints that Robin and Ted were supposed to be together (and Barney and Robin weren't).

If anything, over the years I'd gotten a little fed up with the Barney/Robin thing because it didn't feel right to me. Apparently, the writers were faking me out. Good job.

As for Ted and Robin, we all knew that Robin wasn't the mother for several years now. So the hints at them still having feelings never seemed quite right either. That, to me, seemed like the filler of a show that had gone on a few years to long.

They pulled us through a lot of twists and turns but, in the end, they came around back to Ted and Robin in a way I didn't expect.

Oh, and anytime someone gives a Tom Waits cover its a good thing.

For me, they totally sticked the landing.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:35 AM   #574
Gojira
Commodore

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
Wow , that was the worst finale I've ever seen. It makes Battlestar look like Citizen Kane.

Seriously, they spend an entire season on Barney and Robin's wedding along with Ted finally getting over Robin and they just fucking throw it all away. I knew that Tracy would die, they foreshadowed it during the season, but they did her a huge disservice by having her die off screen and by making her second to Robin, despite her being perfect for Ted and for her being the mother of his children.

I am so full of hate right now. It is Mass Effect all over again.
I think this may be a case of a series that outgrew its planned ending, which might have worked better had it resolved after 4-5 seasons and not dragged out the quest for the Mother whilst throwing all kinds of roadblocks between Ted and Robin.
This was the planned ending all along. The shots with the kids were filmed in the first season. In reality the kids are 9 years older since the series began. So even then they knew how it would end.

I liked the ending. We got to see Ted marry the mother of his children and I know many fans wanted to see Ted end up with Robin. It was the best of both worlds.
Old April 1 2014, 02:41 AM   #575
Agent Richard07
Retired

They hid the obvious in plain sight all these years. To Bays and Thomas... Well played.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:44 AM   #576
Scout101
Admiral

Yep, it fits. Otherwise, the story having so much Robin in it was creepy and TMI from a dad to his kids. I mean, if the mother is in the other room while he's telling THIS story...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:03 AM   #577
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
This was the planned ending all along.
Um, where did I say otherwise? My point was that this ending does not fit the story they've been telling for a number of years now (but would have fit much better had it come earlier). The show sunk the idea of Ted and Robin pretty comprehensively over the last few years.

In retrospect, the reluctance of the producers to introduce Tracy as a character makes a lot more sense now, and the producers should probably have stuck to their guns on that point. Which is a weird thing to say, since Tracy/Cristin Milioti was easily the best thing about this season.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:23 AM   #578
the G-man
Commodore

This was the planned ending all along. The shots with the kids were filmed in the first season. In reality the kids are 9 years older since the series began. So even then they knew how it would end.

Yep, and in a great fake out, Jason Segel telegraphed the ending, albeit as part of a joke, years ago.

I liked the ending. We got to see Ted marry the mother of his children and I know many fans wanted to see Ted end up with Robin. It was the best of both worlds.
Presactly. They took the obvious ending (Ted with Robin) from year one, made us think we wouldn't get the obvious ending and then found a way to logically and methodically bring us back to that ending without a single cheat.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
They hid the obvious in plain sight all these years. To Bays and Thomas... Well played.
I'm the G-man and I approve this message.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:51 AM   #579
C_Miller
Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
This was the planned ending all along.
Um, where did I say otherwise? My point was that this ending does not fit the story they've been telling for a number of years now (but would have fit much better had it come earlier). The show sunk the idea of Ted and Robin pretty comprehensively over the last few years.

In retrospect, the reluctance of the producers to introduce Tracy as a character makes a lot more sense now, and the producers should probably have stuck to their guns on that point. Which is a weird thing to say, since Tracy/Cristin Milioti was easily the best thing about this season.
Agreed. At around Season 4-5, I was still on the Ted and Robin train. If they had pulled this then, I don't think I'd be as upset. But at this point, I can't stand Ted and Robin. Ted and Tracy had such a perfect story and she was perfect for him and that was the point of the last three or four seasons. Tracy is better for Ted than Robin... so how is it a rewarding ending for 9 years of searching for this woman that Ted just ends up with Robin?
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:07 AM   #580
Mr Light
Admiral

I really, really love this show... but I really, really did not like this ending.

The show is called How I Met Your Mother. For nine years we were building to Ted meeting his soul mate, this mysterious quirky perfect little lady. For nine years we've seen over and over again why Ted and Robin aren't meant for each other. For nine years we've built to Barney and Robin being the perfect match for each other.

And then in the final episode all of that gets thrown out the window. Ted meets his soul mate... we barely get any screen time for her... his perfect woman dies... so a few years later he shacks up with his ex? And THAT'S what the series was about? Seeing if his kids were alright with him banging his ex?! Good lord.

And the final insult. No Bob Saget. He spent nine years walking us through the narration and gets absolutely nothing for the final episode where his character actually would have finally appeared and had something to do.

I don't even like the name Tracy

And perhaps worst of all, this episode wasn't even funny. It was all so sad and serious. It was just one failed relationship after another.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:13 AM   #581
Bah Humbug
Admiral

I'm glad that Ted and Robin ended up together. The Robin/Barney thing never really felt right to me.
Old April 1 2014, 04:15 AM   #582
Bah Humbug
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
And the final insult. No Bob Saget. He spent nine years walking us through the narration and gets absolutely nothing for the final episode where his character actually would have finally appeared and had something to do.
You really think that older Ted should've looked like Bob Saget?
Old April 1 2014, 04:22 AM   #583
Mr Light
Admiral

I think it would have been nice for ole Bob to get an on-screen appearance after nine years of voiceover work. And within the reality of the series, it makes no sense. Why did we hear Sagat's voice for 99% of the story and then at the last 1% it's suddenly Radner's voice?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:24 AM   #584
Campe98
Commodore

The Mother, er, Tracy, was a MacGuffin. Plain and simple. This show was always, first, the story of five friends in New York City and second, the love story of Ted and Robin. The finale succeeded in showing both of those things in spades. I think a lot of people are missing the point. I take this away from the series (and I'm bastardizing two HIMYM quotes to get there): "Whatever you do in life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it because life is too short to not do awesome air kicks."

Whatever the case is, this is one of the most divisive finales in TV history.

I will say that it was too rushed. I hope an extended cut is coming.
Old April 1 2014, 04:29 AM   #585
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There could have been a scene where Josh is at the Doctors, the Doctor says that he has laryngitis, and then when Josh tries to speak, Bob comes out, so the Doctor gives him some syrup assuring him that his voice will be back to normal in a couple days.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote