Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 22 2014, 01:05 AM   #331
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Brilliant Episode. Did they always know what Barney's would be? It all seems so perfect and the resolution couldn't have been more awesome and solo Barney.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 01:44 AM   #332
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Nasty Characters Masquerading As Good - Lily Aldrin

I never liked Lily. Even in the early seasons, her pseudo-mousy persona always seemed to me to be a front for greater shortcomings. Perhaps it was a subversive concept the writers of How I Met Your Mother came up with to have one of the rankest, most evil villains ever be cast as one of the main characters.

Originally a meek, self-obsessed loser with a penchant for art, Lily is actually a sinister, power-hungry witch with an infinite stockpile of anger and self-entitlement at her disposal. Her character arc is interesting in that she never really grows as a person; instead, season by season, layers are peeled from her sweet persona until her bitter core self is revealed in its entirety as we approach the finale.

And in the last season finale, the... you know what? I can't do this anymore. Just assume I also threw in some inappropriate misogynistic ways to describe her, too, and let's call it done.

(For anyone who doesn't know what this is about, don't worry, there's no seriousness here whatsoever. )
Old January 22 2014, 02:02 AM   #333
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Lily is a nasty bitch, ugly inside, a horrible person. There are so many times where I would have told her to piss off forever.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 02:22 AM   #334
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't matter how awful the woman you wind up with is, because in theory, it's still better than being alone.

I don't see what the big deal is about spending a year a part?

As long as they send Marvin back and forth between them, and they has a trust worthy Au Pair to handle all that international air flight, it seems easy and neither of their careers would meet any short comings.

Judy seems perfect for the job.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 03:40 AM   #335
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
What if her name is Leia?
My seven year old son came up the same idea. He thought it was hilarious.

Sophronisba wrote: View Post
I am actually really looking forward to next week's episode. There are going to be a lot of callbacks, I think. (And I think we'll see that the mother is the one who dropped the lucky penny back in season 2.)
Great theory. I really hope that turns out to be true.

This was a great episode. I don't remember when the last episode was that wasn't amazing. Things have changed alot since the beginning of the season when things weren't looking so good.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 05:58 PM   #336
tighr
Commodore

I don't see what's so bad about Marshall calling out Lily for going to San Francisco. Just because it happened a long time ago doesn't mean it didn't happen, and it wrecked Marshall.

Add to the fact that Lily would never have come back to New York if it weren't for Barney. She didn't come back on her own. It was selfish of her.
Old January 22 2014, 06:11 PM   #337
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What's wrong with being selfish?

The alternative is to be full of sad, resentful and unfulfilled.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 06:19 PM   #338
Sophronisba
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I don't think you should get married just to avoid being selfish. If she wasn't ready to get married, she wasn't ready. I don't think that makes her a bad person. But I also don't think they should have gotten back together.
Sophronisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 06:52 PM   #339
tighr
Commodore

Nothing wrong with being selfish.

What's wrong is that she was guilted by Barney into returning to New York. If she wasn't happy, she shouldn't have gotten married.

Marshall is in love with her, and wanted to get married to her, so he can't be blamed. She's selfish because she knows Marshall loves her, and will do anything for her, but she's not willing to do the same for Marshall. If she had broken up with Marshall, he would have eventually gotten over it.

Marshall is trying to do the right thing for his family, not just for himself.
Old January 23 2014, 02:47 AM   #340
Aldo
Admiral

This is one time when many people are on agreement about this. As for myself, I think Marshal was being a tad bit harsh, but then again it was in the heat of the moment and everything he said was more or less truthful, at least it was from the heart.

If it were me though, I'm not sure I'd wait eight years to let that little nugget out. I might have told Lily my feelings on the matter a long time ago. On the other hand, perhaps it's something that just didn't occur to him until Lily said that she's never done anything that selfish to him.
Old January 23 2014, 04:08 AM   #341
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't think it was harsh of Marshall at all. He's always been the more considerate of the two, always supportive of Lily pursuing her dream. He's also probably right that if things had gone differently in San Francisco she might never have gone back to him. He's earned a little selfishness at this point, IMO.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:11 AM   #342
Aldo
Admiral

He was certainly justified in what he said, the part I felt was harsh though was equating him and Marvin to "consolation prizes." Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to defend Lily (at least not in this argument), but it's pretty apparent his comments were meant to hurt, and hurt they did.
Old January 23 2014, 02:21 PM   #343
EnderAKH
Captain

Nothing selfish? What about hiding mounds of credit card debt from huge shopping sprees?

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 09:50 PM   #344
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
This is one time when many people are on agreement about this. As for myself, I think Marshal was being a tad bit harsh, but then again it was in the heat of the moment and everything he said was more or less truthful, at least it was from the heart.

If it were me though, I'm not sure I'd wait eight years to let that little nugget out. I might have told Lily my feelings on the matter a long time ago. On the other hand, perhaps it's something that just didn't occur to him until Lily said that she's never done anything that selfish to him.
As soon as she said that line i immediately remembered the season 1 finale where she absolutely devastated Marshal by going to New York for selfish reasons.. seconds before Marshal said it out loud and hit a very painful bullseye.

One thing that became apparent back then was that Marshal could have made it without Lily.. he went through the typical phases of a breakup but he was well on the way to recovery and moving on with his life when she returned and Marshal graciously accepted her back.

Now the problem simply is the passed time after Marshal brought it up again.. 8 years is a long time but it's apparent Marshal didn't fully forgive her and put it to rest which is a very dangerous thing ( i know people who repeat things that were done 20-30 years ago during a fight and it's very ugly).

I agree that Marshal seems to be the softer, more forgiving part of the relationship but he still went behind the back of Lily with a life changing decision and he doesn't get to play the "You've done it before so now it's my turn!" card in this case.

I know it's for drama purposes but in the age of cell phones not being able to call the other to talk it out (even if it's impersonal) doesn't fly and no job, apart from medical and military, needs split second decisions.

I'm curious how this gets resolved.. both are following their dreams which are unfortunately at opposite ends so one has to give (it'll obviously be Lily i believe because the couple needs to stay in the vicinity of the other couples).
Old January 23 2014, 10:00 PM   #345
tighr
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
He still went behind the back of Lily with a life changing decision and he doesn't get to play the "You've done it before so now it's my turn!" card in this case.

I know it's for drama purposes but in the age of cell phones not being able to call the other to talk it out (even if it's impersonal) doesn't fly and no job, apart from medical and military, needs split second decisions.
In Marshall's defense, he was honest with her about applying for the job last season. But when he was offered the job over the phone earlier this season, it was a "take it or leave it" opportunity, he did not have the option to consult with his wife. In fact, the show went into great detail about that in the episode in which he was offered the job (Can I do it next year? etc). He then felt that he needed to tell Lily face-to-face, which he could not do until making it back to New York for the wedding.