How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ryan123450, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was harsh of Marshall at all. He's always been the more considerate of the two, always supportive of Lily pursuing her dream. He's also probably right that if things had gone differently in San Francisco she might never have gone back to him. He's earned a little selfishness at this point, IMO.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He was certainly justified in what he said, the part I felt was harsh though was equating him and Marvin to "consolation prizes." Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to defend Lily (at least not in this argument), but it's pretty apparent his comments were meant to hurt, and hurt they did.

3. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Nothing selfish? What about hiding mounds of credit card debt from huge shopping sprees?

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

As soon as she said that line i immediately remembered the season 1 finale where she absolutely devastated Marshal by going to New York for selfish reasons.. seconds before Marshal said it out loud and hit a very painful bullseye.

One thing that became apparent back then was that Marshal could have made it without Lily.. he went through the typical phases of a breakup but he was well on the way to recovery and moving on with his life when she returned and Marshal graciously accepted her back.

Now the problem simply is the passed time after Marshal brought it up again.. 8 years is a long time but it's apparent Marshal didn't fully forgive her and put it to rest which is a very dangerous thing ( i know people who repeat things that were done 20-30 years ago during a fight and it's very ugly).

I agree that Marshal seems to be the softer, more forgiving part of the relationship but he still went behind the back of Lily with a life changing decision and he doesn't get to play the "You've done it before so now it's my turn!" card in this case.

I know it's for drama purposes but in the age of cell phones not being able to call the other to talk it out (even if it's impersonal) doesn't fly and no job, apart from medical and military, needs split second decisions.

I'm curious how this gets resolved.. both are following their dreams which are unfortunately at opposite ends so one has to give (it'll obviously be Lily i believe because the couple needs to stay in the vicinity of the other couples).

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

In Marshall's defense, he was honest with her about applying for the job last season. But when he was offered the job over the phone earlier this season, it was a "take it or leave it" opportunity, he did not have the option to consult with his wife. In fact, the show went into great detail about that in the episode in which he was offered the job (Can I do it next year? etc). He then felt that he needed to tell Lily face-to-face, which he could not do until making it back to New York for the wedding.

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I agree with the points made. I always felt that it was more of a hobby for Lily. Plus, I thought I wouldn't want that job if I was a real artist, except as a freelancer on the side perhaps. The Captain kept telling her what to do. I got the impression some of the picks she made was really the Captain's with little input from Lily.

Also, Lily was all about it being her dream. I don't think she dreamed about being an art consultant for a rich guy in Italy fora year.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Nothing selfish? What about hiding mounds of credit card debt from huge shopping sprees? >>

OMG! I totally forgot about that! Marshall should have brought that up too! I need the judge job to pay off your massive credit card debt! :lol:

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Episode 200! How Your Mother Met Me...

A predictable episode on many levels.

- We knew it was coming when the season was announced.
    - Different Intro... Check!
    - As expected, they took us through the key moments where she appeared before.
    - Ted couldn't actually meet her and sure enough he didn't.

Still good to actually see though. The only thing I didn't like was that they gave her too much baggage.

9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone has baggage. I missed the first few minutes of the episode (no cable so no DVR) so I don't know all the details but I think it's impossible for someone single in their late 20s or early 30s not to have a lot of baggage. I'm 34 and single and I certainly related to the mother in this episode.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Disappointed they went the whole time without naming her, but expected I guess. Backstory was ok, just felt a little short. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Also, despite the title, she didn't actually meet him, although she'd seen him around I guess...

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, he hasn't met her either, and we know for a fact this season concludes with said meeting. Not really that big of a disappointment. It's more "her journey through life to the point where she's ready to meet Ted".

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Really, really disappointed we didn't get her name... but an excellent episode.

13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

this was one of the few episodes that I've liked this season.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Really good episode. Like everyone else it was pretty predictable because most of the stuff that happened was the stuff that we talked about before the season even started :D One thing I was disappointed about though was that we didn't get the Mother telling the story to her kids for this episode.

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

A very enjoyable episode; I just wish Ted had leaned over and said "Hello."

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Then they would have needed to hire an actress to play the voice of the older Mother.

17. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Amen to that. This episode hit pretty close to home due to the loss of someone in my own life relatively recently. It rang true to me.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, or he started singing along or something like that.

I did enjoy it a lot though, and I think they definitely picked the perfect actress to play the mother because I found it quite a touching episode, I mean her speech to the stars was great and we never even met Max!

It was nice to see the return of some things...and Mitch!

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

nice to know that she was the 'no' in his "2 out of 3 times, guaranteed" :lol:

20. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

So happy to see naked guy again! :D I loved the episode, and thought it was very sweet. I enjoyed seeing all the callbacks to older episodes.

I was a bit worried where the season was going back during the opening episodes, but things have certainly turned around. The mother has been a brilliant addition to the cast, and now I can't wait for next week.