Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 2 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Robert Comsol
Commodore

How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterprise

As part of my ongoing "educational" efforts I felt it necessary to start researching a bit more of Star Trek related NASA history.

Here is a genuine article from 1976 how NASA changed the name of the first (atmospheric testlight only) Space Shuttle from Constitution to Enterprise.

In retrospect one may be tempted to ask "What was wrong with those fans?"

An overdose of The Making of Star Trek, some kind of allergic reaction to the works of Franz Joseph, a conspiracy instigated by Walter Matt Jefferies or else?

Of all the stories revolving around Star Trek, that's one I would like to hear more of.

If anyone can provide further background details (i.e. who initiated the campaign, what did Gene Roddenberry say about the name change etc.) please share it with us.

And don't look at me. I did not initiate this campaign against the Constitution.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

it was probably more 'we want a shuttle called enterprise because we like star trek', not 'we specifically hate the name constitution for some reason'.

but you can't be sure with Trekites

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Hooray for the letter writing campaign by the fans. Great work.
Thank you President Ford!
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
feek61
Commander

Originally the first shuttle was going to be retrofitted after the atmospheric flight test to allow it to go into space (isn't that something; the Enterprise refit, lol). It ultimately was deemed too expensive to modify the first shuttle for space flight so they just built one from the ground up which was cheaper. If it had been know back in the day that the first shuttle would never go into space; I doubt very seriously if the fans would have united to have the name changed. It always made me kind of sad that there was never an "Enterprise" that made it into orbit.
Old September 2 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Maybe someday, with some future generation of spacecraft. It was a distinguished name prior to Trek, and a lot of later-generation scientists, astronauts, etc. have been Trek fans.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Robert Comsol
Commodore

junxon wrote: View Post
It was probably more 'we want a shuttle called enterprise because we like star trek', not 'we specifically hate the name constitution for some reason'.
Hmm...you're possibly right, but surely the fans must have felt compelled to deliver some good reasons against Constitution and on behalf of Enterprise.

And the newspaper article I linked, mentioned that Enterprise had a more international sound to it than Constitution. Which happens to be exactly the same reason why Gene Roddenberry discarded the original Yorktown proposal and went for Enterprise instead.

The picture from the official ceremony. I think I know the gentleman between Roddenberry and Koenig, but I forgot his name.

And if I'm not mistaken that's Jesco von Puttkamer (second on the right from Koenig) who's looking at the Enterprise and probably thinking "If they ever do a Star Trek film I'd like to contribute scientific expertise and explain how the warp drive could function."

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Gojira
Commodore

I never saw the naming of the Shuttle as being against the name Constitution. I think that Shuttle could have been named anything else and Trek fans still would have wanted the name Enterprise.
Old September 2 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
jpv2000
Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
I never saw the naming of the Shuttle as being against the name Constitution. I think that Shuttle could have been named anything else and Trek fans still would have wanted the name Enterprise.
I feel the same.

@ Bob: Thanks for that pic. I remember watching that live back in the day. I was so thrilled that the first one was named Enterprise.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
J.T.B.
Commodore

I know they aren't the same type of vessel, but I like reserving the name "Constitution" only for the frigate in Boston.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The picture from the official ceremony. I think I know the gentleman between Roddenberry and Koenig, but I forgot his name.
The guy on the left is NASA administrator James Fletcher, the other is George Low, deputy administrator.

Leisure suits were apparently the uniform of the day for the male crew...
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:21 PM   #10
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

This week, Leonard Nimoy takes us In Search Of...the Space Shuttle Constitution.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:11 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yes, but a fan of the name Constitution can easily take it personally but claiming, Trekkies hate the Constitution in an effort to make the opposition look bad.

It's not like the name Enterprise is insignificant in American history, Star Trek or no.
Old September 2 2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Green Shirt
Commodore

Gawd, I hope that hideous 70s clothing never makes a comeback.
Old September 2 2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

I don't mind the business suits of the day. Compared to the ones from the 60s they were pretty sharp.

But, unless you were tall and slim, the leisure suits were just horrid!
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:43 PM   #14
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Maybe someday, with some future generation of spacecraft. It was a distinguished name prior to Trek, and a lot of later-generation scientists, astronauts, etc. have been Trek fans.
And it still is a distinguished name outside of Trek. The U.S. Naval aircraft carrier Enterprise was just recently taken out of service. And despite the fact that the Navy has gotten into the practice of naming their aircraft carriers after presidents -- a practice I deplore, BTW -- they've announced that the new Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier CVN-80 would be named Enterprise.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

CoveTom wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
And it still is a distinguished name outside of Trek. The U.S. Naval aircraft carrier Enterprise was just recently taken out of service. And despite the fact that the Navy has gotten into the practice of naming their aircraft carriers after presidents -- a practice I deplore, BTW -- they've announced that the new Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier CVN-80 would be named Enterprise.
I'd was about to ask about that: whether StarTrek had diminished the name in the eyes of the Navy.

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote