Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 2 2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Tuskin38
Ensign

Ship Changes in STID (Possible spoilers?)

I didn't see anyone documenting these already so i thought I'd make a thread. If mods believe this is better off the mega thread above, by all means move the post there.

I've been making notice of the changes between the JJ-Prise after, the 'Refit' version at the end of the movie. All images will be 'before' and 'after' below.

First and most obvious, the impulse drive and 'warp fins' as you can see in the above image the main impulse engine on the Saucer section is small and in two peices, while the newer version is one big engine. The warp fins pre-'refit' are in 3 segments, while the 'refit' version they're in 4 peices

Next, the Phaser Arrays
Pre-refit they have 'ball turrets' similar to what was seen in the Refit in the TOS movies, after how ever the 'balls' have vanished.

Final for now, the Bridge. In most shots the 'view screen' on the CG model is too short and wide and does not match the actual set. The new model how ever the 'view screen' matches the the physical set better. This CG bridge is also used earlier in the film for a zoom in on the bridge. http://i.minus.com/ibtwyBOzxjUxaM.png

Tuskin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:20 AM   #2
austen_pierce
Captain

Re: Ship Changes in STID (Possible spoilers?)

These are really good. enterprise lost its balls.

But Can we back up a bit? Why did the newest flagship need a refit one year into service? Why not a simple repair/restoration?
austen_pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:08 AM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post

But Can we back up a bit? Why did the newest flagship need a refit one year into service? Why not a simple repair/restoration?
Well we already saw upgrades to Federation starships in the Vengeance, why not add some to the Enterprise now that it's public?

RAMA
Old September 2 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I suspect in the next film, when Kirk orders "red alert," the phaser ball turrets will pop-up into place.

I was a bit surprised that, despite all the exterior changes to the Enterprise, that the bridge was completely unchanged at the end. But with a new director at the helm for Star Trek XIII, they'll probably just do what they did in IV/V - change it completely with no explanation whatsoever
Tuskin38 wrote: View Post
Final for now, the Bridge. In most shots the 'view screen' on the CG model is too short and wide and does not match the actual set. The new model how ever the 'view screen' matches the the physical set better. This CG bridge is also used earlier in the film for a zoom in on the bridge. http://i.minus.com/ibtwyBOzxjUxaM.png

As I said in the other thread, the high detail model is actually used for compositing with the actual set, it's the low detail one which has the CG bridge inside. And it's first seen in the 2009 movie after Pike and Nero's viewscreen negotiation, when the camera pulls back from the window and flips over.

I suspect they usually use a smaller window to reduce their workload - you can see into the correctly-sized one much easier, and I suspect ILM just didn't want to have to put CG actors at all the stations and make sure they all match the live-action bridge cuts.
Old September 3 2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Kpnuts
Commodore

It's such a shame they upgraded the impulse engine, I much prefer the smaller one.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 11:27 PM   #6
James

They took the weapons away, the ship gets it's butt kicked every time it gets in a fight anyway so they figured weapons weren't needed. Pine's Kirk can yield to the next villain with ease.
Old September 4 2013, 01:44 AM   #7
austen_pierce
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post

Well we already saw upgrades to Federation starships in the Vengeance, why not add some to the Enterprise now that it's public?

RAMA
To me it just feels too soon to be making changes to the model. The ship in its 2009 form lasts maybe two years and one and three-quarters movies???
Old September 4 2013, 04:34 AM   #8
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I just realized that it's had a paint job upgrade. It's more creamy/white, and generally lighter now.

I mean look at those warp nacelles.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:52 AM   #9
SeerSGB
Admiral

James wrote: View Post
They took the weapons away, the ship gets it's butt kicked every time it gets in a fight anyway so they figured weapons weren't needed. Pine's Kirk can yield to the next villain with ease.
Unlike the Enterprise in TWOK, TSFS, TUC, GEN, INS, NEM
Old September 4 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
WarpFactorZ
Captain

You all obviously missed the Star Trek Writers' Guide for Movies. Quoting:

1. Establish enemy as long time opponent of Kirk (or Picard, etc...). Either series foe or genetic cloning connection preferred.

2. Give enemy (preferably large, invincible) ship with clear advantages over Enterprise.

3. Finale of movie: blast crap out of Enterprise as if it were made out of paper mache, to within an inch of destruction. Find obvious resolution at end to save ship and destroy enemy in glorious fashion.

4. Set up for next movie (in which Enterprise will be mangled to within an inch of destruction).
Sheesh.
WarpFactorZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 07:17 AM   #11
SeerSGB
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post

1. Establish enemy as long time opponent of Kirk (or Picard, etc...). Either series foe or genetic cloning connection preferred.

2. Give enemy (preferably large, invincible) ship with clear advantages over Enterprise.

3. Finale of movie: blast crap out of Enterprise as if it were made out of paper mache, to within an inch of destruction. Find obvious resolution at end to save ship and destroy enemy in glorious fashion.

4. Set up for next movie (in which Enterprise will be mangled to within an inch of destruction).
Sheesh.
Yeppers, pretty much standard issue Trek fare. Unless the ships they're up against are explicitly said to be woefully primitive, there seems to be a default to letting the enemy kick the Enterprise's teeth in.
Old September 4 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Sheesh.
Yeppers, pretty much standard issue Trek fare. Unless the ships they're up against are explicitly said to be woefully primitive, there seems to be a default to letting the enemy kick the Enterprise's teeth in.
Storytelling 101: Make the problem to be solved seem insurmountable to increase dramatic tension.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
austen_pierce
Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Sheesh.
In ST09 Enterprise took the worst hull damage from the red matter black hole, not Narada. Since the detonation if the red matter was Kirk's plan, I tend to think he kicked his own teeth in.
Old September 5 2013, 06:00 PM   #14
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Tuskin38 wrote: View Post
Next, the Phaser Arrays
Pre-refit they have 'ball turrets' similar to what was seen in the Refit in the TOS movies, after how ever the 'balls' have vanished.

It's possible that this is just a CGI error. If the phaser balls are a separate component, they could've simply forgotten to include them or turn them on for these passes.

My in-universe theory? They're just retracted.
Old September 5 2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Gojira
Commodore

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
It's such a shame they upgraded the impulse engine, I much prefer the smaller one.
I agree with you there. It seems like a little too much.