Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 2 2013, 03:03 AM   #16
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: 12th Doctor Costume?

My initial thought was something like this:

but I would also rather like to see him in something warm and summery like this drawing I did a few years back for a theoretical 13th doctor:

But now I'm beginning to lean towards something kind of 60s or 70s. An aging man who is trying to grab at some youthfulness by appropriating a hip younger style that he is too out of touch to realize is terribly out of date (though perhaps actually ahead of its likely immediate resurgence). Something like THESE perhaps.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:21 AM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
With so many comparisons to the 1st doctor I could see the 12th doctor wearing something like Hartnell.

Capaldi even did the "suit tug" thing the 1st doctor did during the reveal show.

I definitely get Hartnell vibes off that picture. Seeing Capaldi like that, I half expect him to end every second sentence with "hmmm?"
He's even got that inquisitive arrogant smirk of Hartnell Doctor, in that pic

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:32 AM   #18
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally copy but update the 1st doctor's seasons

Different stories but feeling like classic Hartnell.

Heck some stories are lost. It wouldn't hurt to do the lost stories since most people never saw them or forgot them.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Think Third Doctor only instead of a frilly shirt a Sex Pistols t-shirt under the velvet smoking jacket!

Twelves going to be a "Strokes" fan and you know it!

Now that you mention it, imagine if twelve's suit plays up Capaldi's Rock band past

Imagine Twelve wearing that.

Twelve- To hell with the recorder!

*Pulls out electric guitar*
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Starkers
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

That's precisely the sort of thing I meant actually! There's another dad at my kids' school, much the same age as myself, maybe older (I'm 41) and he wears stuff like that. First day I saw him, he had pants hanging down his ass. I have wanted to beat him to death with my bare hands ever since.
It's odd, because on the one hand I think he'll be very smart and elegant (face it to some degree or another 9,10 and 11 have been every so slightly scruffy) but on the other hand I keep getting a slightly punk image in my head around Capaldi. Not talking safety pins or anything, I can just see a fairly traditional Victorian/Edwardian Doctor look that's offset by something very in your face.
I can't agree that Tennant's look as scruffy at all, his suits and coats were always clean, unlike say the second Doctor who had no problems getting muddy and even wearing out the knees on his pants at times. Eccleston had a workering class look and Smith's look was more of a middle class look. But I agree and I've said as much Capaldi would return to the Edwardian look.
Being honest I think a lot of it with Tennant comes down to the hair, but although he wears a suit I recall it looking quite crumpled from time to time (hardly surprising given the jacket was made from the material of the trousers so it is slightly more lightweight than a regular suit would be. Throw in the converse trainers, the fact his tie was rarely straight, and the fact he was a bit stubbly at times and I still stand by scruffy. As for Smith, with him again it’s the hair sometimes, but also his lower half, however smart his upper half is, in the first two and a half series he was wearing very scruffy trousers and boots.

I think all three modern Doctors have had great looks and looks that worked for them, but smart isn’t a word I’d associate with them (and yes you could argue that over time the Doctor has maybe been scruffier more often than suave)
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
With so many comparisons to the 1st doctor I could see the 12th doctor wearing something like Hartnell.

Capaldi even did the "suit tug" thing the 1st doctor did during the reveal show.
I think Colin Baker adopted some of those mannerisms too.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 05:46 PM   #21
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

I don't care as long as there is a regular hat involved.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

no hats, I think Smith's done that now (I appreciate it isn't a regular hat but still...)
Old September 3 2013, 12:38 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I actually think the Twelfth Doctor's outfit shouldn't look too different from what Capaldi wore in the reveal show, but with one little subtle item that adds a bit of eccentricity to it (like a particular colored tie or perhaps a bit of piping around the jacket).
Old September 3 2013, 02:33 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I'd love to see the twelfth Doctor wear something similar to what David Bowie wore in "Fire Walk With Me".
Old September 3 2013, 03:14 PM   #25
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

no hats, I think Smith's done that now (I appreciate it isn't a regular hat but still...)
Nope, not enough. I want more.

Most Doctors had at least one reoccurring hat and I think that's a tradition that should continue.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Redfern
Commodore

"Most"? Hmm, that's debatable.

Hartnell had that black cap in the first episode and only a few times wore a panama type hat.

Pertwee briefly donned a black fedora in "Spearhead..." and then nothing.

I don't remember Colin EVER wearing a hat.

McGann, no hat, but his is the 'special case' for most conditions.

Eccleston didn't wear a hat.

Tennant, he wore a a straw hat in one scene in his final story when he visited the Ood's homeworld.

Smith, well, we remember the fez and the stetson mainly because River shot both of them, but he didn't wear them on a regular basis.

Troughton, Tom, Davison and McCoy, were the only ones to wear hats on any kind of regularity.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Starkers
Admiral

Hmm, juat had a thought, and whilst it would mean putting Capaldi in a suit, it would be different. How about a Nehru style jacket? Might give him a myasterious air, although it might also make him look a little like a Bond villain...but is that a bad thing?
Old September 3 2013, 06:20 PM   #28
diankra
Commodore

Redfern wrote: View Post
Troughton, Tom, Davison and McCoy, were the only ones to wear hats on any kind of regularity.
Well, Troughton didn't really: he wore That Bloody Hat (as it's officially known - yes it is, don't tell me otherwise) in his first three stories but never later; apart from that there's just a woolly bobble hat in Fury from the Deep. Hartnell wore his fur hat or the panama a lot more than that!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Tom
Rear Admiral

please no suit with question marks!! lol

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 03:18 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
please no suit with question marks!! lol
Although, it could be neat to have him trying one on in the scene where he's selecting his new outfit.