Retro Review: The Dogs of War
By: Michelle on Mar 28

Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 7 2014, 03:21 PM   #136
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: 12th Doctor Costume?

New hairstyle too.

Clockwork droids? Cool!
Old January 7 2014, 03:26 PM   #137
Lonemagpie
Writer

He seems happy enough to be at work on the first day of the new job...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:38 PM   #138
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

If people only knew how much this guy LOVED the show when he was younger you'd understand his smile.

This is like a dream come true for him

He has been a fan since the very beggining, meaning he saw the Hartnell and Troughton episodes that are still missing.

He tried to sieze control over the Doctor Who fanclub throughout the early 1970s.

Decided to make a fanclub by himself, which was joined only by two people. And one of said people was his brother. The other was some guy who sent 20 pence to join.

Annoyed the hell out of DWM and BBC up until the mid-1980s.*

Went through a punk phase, formed a band, wrote lyrics influenced by Doctor Who and dropped acid with bandmate Craig Ferguson.*

Got into acting for the sake of becoming the Doctor.
Has been auditioning repeteadly since the 1980s to get the role. So far, he lost again McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith.

Almost left acting altogether back in 2005, as he felt his roles weren't good enough and if it was not for him ranting to Armando Ianucci (producer of The Thick of It/In The Loop) during a dinner in Armando's house which was recorded, he wouldn't have landed the role.*

Went against Hugh Laurie to play House. Lost.*

Built a Dalek for a school project at 15.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 05:36 PM   #139
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Got into acting for the sake of becoming the Doctor.
Has been auditioning repeteadly since the 1980s to get the role. So far, he lost again McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith.
Damn, if nothing else, he's persistent.

Went against Hugh Laurie to play House. Lost.*
Honestly, I'm glad Hugh Laurie won it. He was amazing in that role.

Samurai8472, what's you're source for the above facts? Not that I don't trust you, but I always question sources.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 06:00 PM   #140
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

^
A bunch of gathered up info on Capaldi from

The Official Doctor Who Fan Club Vol 1

-Annoyed the BBC when he was younger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onstantly.html

-Watch an interview with him and Craig Ferguson. Craig mentions he they got stoned together.

Wanted to run the Doctor Who fan club in the 1970's

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/08/05/pete...-who-fan-club/
Old January 7 2014, 09:35 PM   #141
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Watch an interview with him and Craig Ferguson. Craig mentions he they got stoned together.
I'm looking forward to Capaldi's appearance on CraigyFerg's show. I expect one will say to the other, "So, are we still tripping on acid, or is this really happening?" In a Scottish accent, of course.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:41 PM   #142
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

If that story is true, I hope he is reallly good in the role, cause it sounds like they will have to drag him out kicking and screaming when the times comes to regenerate again.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:09 PM   #143
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well Tennant was a huge, self-proclaimed DW fan, and he still got burnt out and left after 4 years, so I'm sure it'll happen with Capaldi eventually as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:16 PM   #144
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
If that story is true, I hope he is reallly good in the role
The kid wouldn't budge

Miller continues the story in his book.

“During the next phone call to Sarah, I asked how things were going with Peter Capaldi. ‘Oh god, I wish someone would sort him out.’ Then she paused. ‘Actually, he lives in Scotland too – could you pop over to Glasgow and sort him out for me?’ I giggled nervously, quickly finished the call, and worriedly headed back to the house. Was she being serious? Did she actually want me to go over to Glasgow and ‘Sort him out’? Was I to become Doctor Who‘s hitman?… Seriously, I worried about this for days.”
Old January 8 2014, 06:42 AM   #145
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

davejames wrote: View Post
Well Tennant was a huge, self-proclaimed DW fan, and he still got burnt out and left after 4 years, so I'm sure it'll happen with Capaldi eventually as well.
True, but I get the impression that Peter Capaldi is a much, much, much bigger Whovian than David Tennant.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 07:55 AM   #146
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
True, but I get the impression that Peter Capaldi is a much, much, much bigger Whovian than David Tennant.
Yea, if a kid is so well known to the Production/Office staff that they joke about sending a hitman to take care of the kid, you gotta class that as Superfan or Uberfan.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:42 AM   #147
Starkers
Admiral

I think the other thing to consider is that Tennant was very near the start of his career when he got the Who gig, however much he loved the role he wanted/needed to move on and do other things. Capaldi is, absolutely no offence intended, nearer the end of his career than the beginning. He probably isn’t in a place where he feels he needs to ‘crack’ America, or expand his range to show people what he can do. People already know what he can do.

So long as he proves popular in the role, and so long as the shooting schedule doesn’t take its toll or he doesn’t have to leave for unforeseen personal reasons, I could see him staying in the role longer than Tennant or Smith. I’m not talking Tom length here, but maybe something akin to Pertwee.

That is a lot of ifs though probably best to take it a series at a time!
Old January 8 2014, 07:19 PM   #148
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I think it would be tragic if we had another Colin baker situation with Capaldi. Or probably closer to the Hartnel situation where he gets fired. Whether it be because of unpopularity or more tragically, he gets too old or ill to play the doctor anymore. Might happen.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 10:37 PM   #149
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I think it would be tragic if we had another Colin baker situation with Capaldi. Or probably closer to the Hartnel situation where he gets fired. Whether it be because of unpopularity or more tragically, he gets too old or ill to play the doctor anymore. Might happen.
What a fucking bizzare statement based on... nothing, especially when you consider that in age, he is a contemporary (in age) of Tom cruise, Jonny Depp, George Clooney, Viggo Mortensen (same age) etc.

55 in 2014 with no preexisting health condition is not 55 in 1964...

Last edited by JoeZhang; January 8 2014 at 10:57 PM.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:01 AM   #150
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

William Hartnell also drank and smoke a considerable amount so he had plenty of health problems when he started the show.

What was the line in Adventure in Time and Space "he's not as old as he looks"?