Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 11 2013, 03:50 PM   #151
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
That's what I thought originally, but this would require the double amount of data storage space on a Blu-ray disc.
And waaaay more than twice as much effort to make it.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:02 PM   #152
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Nobody asked for my opinion, so I'm going to offer it. :-)

I'm a purist when it comes to aspect ratios. I want to see films and TV shows in the aspect ratio they were originally shot for. I want to see the shot as the director and cinematographer originally composed it. I don't want any changes, even minor ones such as removing "extra space" above someone's head, because that's not the way the shot was originally framed.

Therefore, I am more than willing to accept the black bars either above and below, or to the left and right of, the image. I would never want to see TNG converted to 16:9 any more than I would like to see TWOK in 4:3. To me, it's the same as taking old episodes of classic TV shows like I Love Lucy and colorizing them just so they look "modern." Leave things from the past alone. Let them look like they were from the past. Don't force them to be part of the modern era of filmmaking.

That being said, I understand that what I am saying is just my opinion, and that others are certainly free to disagree. I certainly have no objection to CBS producing a 16:9 version of TNG to satisfy those fans who want it, as long as the original 4:3 versions also remain available. My problem comes in when you have a situation like George Lucas where someone wants to declare "my new version is better and you should never see the original version ever again."
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:24 AM   #153
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The business with Lucas is especially damning since the Libary of Congress selected SW for preservation over 20 years ago, and yet that preservation did nothing to stop GL from messing and re-messing with it, all to the film's detriment.

One part of this messing with aspect ratio business is that folks seem to not be concerned with the framing, and that is troubling to me because the framing is a significant part of the storytelling process. Likewise, any process that shrinks or bloats or otherwise distorts the image so it happens to fit the shape of your display is image denigration, and why, in an era of HD with 4K on the horizon, are you wanting to trash the image?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 12:35 PM   #154
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I'll never understand the advocating of changing the aspect ratio for TNG or anything else. If the preserved 4:3 image bothers some people, why don't they also complain about 2:35 shot films featuring black bars at the top and bottom part of their TVs? I'm glad CBS decided to stick with the original aspect ratio, much like they did for TOS, and hopefully with DS9. It is not necessary to alter the image just to appease a group of people that seem to be allergic to black bars. If that means they'll never get into the show because of an aspect ratio that doesn't fit their screens, tough shit for them. They're no different than those who didn't give TOS a chance just because of old 1960s F/X not living up to ILM standards. Just be grateful TNG is getting a remaster at all. I was one of those who actually doubted CBS would ever take on a project of this magnitude, and with every new HD image released I'm still impressed. That's why I'm not too tough on the HTV S2 work because I'm still amazed that I'm getting to see HD quality footage at all.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote