Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 11 2013, 12:42 PM   #91
starburst
Fleet Captain

Re: Why didn't Chekov ever make Captain?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
The real question is why Uhura never made captain.
I could well imagine she made Captain and then later Admiral, I doubt she would have ended up commanding a ship though as I could see her more at home working at SF Command or the Academy, there are many posts a Starfleet Captain can take up other than sitting in the centre seat of a starship.

Sran wrote: View Post

Scotty never wore command colors despite being promoted to captain, though his rank was more reflective of his expertise and experience than any sort of command authority. He was second officer during the five-year mission but spent the rest of his Enterprise tour almost exclusively in engineering, only coming to the bridge for urgent repairs or to speak with Kirk directly.
Scotty was an odd in the later films, he actually wore both Engineering and Command colours, Engineering gold/mustard when he was in full uniform and then the white undershirt of a Captain when at work on the Enterprise with the black utility vest.

As for Chekov, he was obviously competent enough for Kirk and Spock to leave in command in V and VI as he was seen a couple of times in the Captains Chair. I always liked the idea he would have been Sulu's XO after the events of TUC and later made Captain even if he didnt command a ship.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:40 PM   #92
Use of Time
Commodore

Looks like Chekov actually Captained a couple of different ships in the novels. He is mentioned as the CO of the USS Cydonia in Shatner's The Return and he is also noted as having been the CO of the USS Undauntless.

Of all the books I think The Sundered nailed his character post TWOK. He was depicted as a somewhat damaged individual that begrudgingly took the job of XO for Sulu. He performs his role in a much more guarded and cautious manner due to his experiences aboard the Reliant. He eventually fills the role comfortably and performs superbly as I remember. He does go on to eventually take over as the Starfleet C-in-C in the Shatnerverse.

As for Uhura, her comments in TSFS pretty much sum up her ambition to me. "Peace and quiet appeals to me Ensign." Uhura always struck me as the one member of the crew that was versatile enough to leave Starfleet and still be happy. I could see her pursuing music or teaching. She didn't seem to need Starfleet like the rest of the main crew.
Old November 25 2013, 01:13 PM   #93
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

It seems like none of the senior staff are still assigned to Enterprise at the start of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Given that Spock is the Federation Envoy to the Klingon Empire, perhaps he'd arranged to have Kirk, Scotty, Uhura and Chekov returned to the ship especially for the mission. They could have been off elsewhere doing other things. Uhura especially points out that she's teaching at Starfleet Academy. Perhaps Chekov was away serving on another starship.

Personally, I'm surprised Sulu didn't request him for the position of Executive Officer aboard Excelsior.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 01:39 PM   #94
Maurice
Vice Admiral

David.Blue wrote: View Post
So up until the Dominion War, seems likely promotion was fairly slow. And Chekhov was quite junior, with a couple of great big black marks on his record (like stealing the Enterprise).

Yet if Star Trek: Renegades ever reaches the stage where we consider it canon, Chekhov did indeed become a Captain. And is currently an Admiral!

The USS Chekhov btw I suspect is named for the playwright.
It's Chekov for the Trek character, Chekhov for the playwrite, so if the spelling should be the tipoff.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 02:05 AM   #95
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

There's a series of really good fanfic stories where he made Captain.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 03:54 AM   #96
Shawnster
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Let's face it... when you're XO of a ship and manage to let it get hijacked by a wrathful madman who you just happened to forget about who steals a weapon of mass destruction which creates a cold war style conflict between the Federation and Klingon Empire, your file isn't at the top of the promotion list.

This. In seven pages I've only seen a handful of references to the fact that Chekov was an XO of a starship. For some reason he went from 1st officer, second in command of the ship back down to a lower position on the Enterprise. Now, either Chekov believed that serving under Kirk as Navigator (end of Star Trek IV and Star Trek V) and Security Chief (Star Trek VI) was more preferable to being an XO on another Starship, or else Chekov was in some way blackmarked and prohibited from serving in that capacity any more.

Look at his career through the movies

TMP: Security Chief
WOK: 1st Officer of Reliant
SFS: No posting - awaiting reassignment
TVH: Serves as navigator at the end of the movie
TFF: Serves as navigator after Sybok takes control. Was left in command while Kirk and Spock were off ship.
TUC: Security Chief
GEN: No posting that we know of - served as a dignitary at the launch of Enterprise- B.

Books aren't canon, Of Gods and Men aren't canon. Going just by on-screen evidence, Chekov's career stalled after the events of Ceti Alpha V.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 09:42 AM   #97
Shaka Zulu
Captain

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
Not everyone makes captain in a navy. Fact of military service. Another thing to consider: Starfleet may have downsized after Khitomer as was proposed in TUC during the mission brief. If that's the case, there would be fewer billets and may have kept several officers in the same rank or position for years.
I would hope not. Even with the Klingons off the enemy list Starfleet should know there will be other non-friendly forces out there.

Something similar is currently happening in the U.S. Navy. They're even having to shorten the rotation time for ship command positions so that it gives more people a shot at being CO.
Sad but true. We should know better by now as well.
How so? Who is going to challange the USA in anything (especially since the PRC has the USA's manufacturing in it's back pocket anyway?) And what's Russia going to do?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 02:43 PM   #98
Armored Saint
Captain

- Mr Adventures, come to the closet with me! Other Mr Adventures, you have the bridge.

Although think, in fanon, much like McCoy in TNG, she may actually have made admiral in the end.
She finds the way to screw the cloaked Bird of Prey, she's definitely too good to be demoted as admiral.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 05:37 AM   #99
Shaka Zulu
Captain

starburst wrote: View Post
I could well imagine she made Captain and then later Admiral, I doubt she would have ended up commanding a ship though as I could see her more at home working at SF Command or the Academy, there are many posts a Starfleet Captain can take up other than sitting in the center seat of a starship.
She did become Captain of an Oberth-class ship, USS Intrepid II, and then later captain of the Antares-class USS Hermes, eventually becoming an operative for Starfleet Intelligence and then Admiral in a series of novels.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 05:50 AM   #100
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
If I remember right, they were going to give Chekov a Captain's rank in Generations, then thought better of it. Probably figured everyone would ask "then why isn't he the one commanding the Enterprise-B?"
Actually, Chekov was a last minute addition to that film. Every line that Chekov had was supposed to be for McCoy, but De Kelley declined to appear. But Walter Koenig agreed to do it, so Chekov was put into the film and got every McCoy line.

Same goes for Spock: Nimoy didn't want to do it either, so Scotty got all the lines that Spock would have.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 04:09 PM   #101
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ One (possibly apocryhal) story that I heard was that Walter Koenig encouraged the extras playing the journalists to refer to him as 'Captain Chekov' in their adlibbed chatter during the scene where the TOS trio first walk into the Ent-B bridge, but it got picked up by somebody when they were watching the dailies and it was wiped out in the sound looping session afterwards.

Whatever the case, Chekov clearly isn't wearing the rank.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 07:34 PM   #102
Armored Saint
Captain

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Actually, Chekov was a last minute addition to that film. Every line that Chekov had was supposed to be for McCoy, but De Kelley declined to appear. But Walter Koenig agreed to do it, so Chekov was put into the film and got every McCoy line.
Damn, his behavior on Enterprise-B was a good for him, but it's clear he was acting so McCoyish.

Oh, and as we can see in The Deadly Years, having a higher rank than Captain doesn't mean you're good to command a starship.

I don't think the Ceti Alpha incident would have get him a black mark on Starfleet files. It's surely noted that he's a desaster as historian, but it's not his own fault if this system had not been pointed out as having Khan somehere.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 01:27 AM   #103
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Let's face it... when you're XO of a ship and manage to let it get hijacked by a wrathful madman who you just happened to forget about who steals a weapon of mass destruction which creates a cold war style conflict between the Federation and Klingon Empire, your file isn't at the top of the promotion list.
Kirk managed to get his ship hijacked several times a year and made admiral. I don't think Starfleet is too picky.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 02:26 AM   #104
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Damn, his behavior on Enterprise-B was a good for him, but it's clear he was acting so McCoyish.
In a cut scene he calls Scotty a whiskey blooded wirry-cow.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:19 AM   #105
2takesfrakes
Fleet Captain

Chekov's toupe looked worse than The Shats!