TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 13 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Wiped Episode Discoveries

Bleeding Cool is reporting on the rumor that there are some discovered episodes soon to make a return.

This particular rumor has been floating around for about a year, since the "Galaxy 4" and "Underwater Menace" returns. Now it's picking up steam.

And "Evil of the Daleks" gets a mention.

I think the "full Hartnell," however, is unlikely, because we'll never, ever see "The Feast of Steven" again.

We shall see.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Bleeding Cool reports that there have been rumors going around about a very special surprise for the anniversary: An announcement that a number of previously lost Doctor Who episodes have been recovered, including fan favorite Evil of the Daleks.

And the rumour is that we may be getting a whole host of Doctor Who episodes.

Not new ones, but episodes not seen anywhere since they were first broadcast.

And there are lots. Lots and lots. Completed serials that we’ve only had incomplete before, full series that nothing existed of. Not everything. But heaps and heaps. Possibly even The Full Hartnell.

There’s even the rumour that the much touted DVD set Regenerations out this month, with its previewed animation clip of the regeneration between the first and second Doctors is a bluff, and they now have the full The Tenth Planet in which the Doctor regenerated for the first time which will be released in this set. But that strikes me as wish-fulfillment too far. Would be very clever though.

UPDATE: Shortly after posting, I received further confirmation of the details listed above from another, better connected source. I don’t think I need to cross my fingers quite so hard any more.
While this is all rumors and such, I certainly hope it's true. This isn't first time I've heard something along these lines, especially in regards to Evil of the Daleks, so hopefully there's some truth to it.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Blast you, Allyn, you beat me to the punch!

Old June 13 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

If this is a hoax, it's a very cruel one. It would be awesome if true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
If this is a hoax, it's a very cruel one. It would be awesome if true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
"Cruel" is, I think, a little strong.

allyngibson.net
Old June 13 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

If even a quarter of this is true, it would be FANTASTIC!

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

This will be so cool if true. Even if only a few episodes are recovered of stories that already have something still existing, it may be enough to at least animate more stories

Can you imagine if you were a Warehouse worker (and knowledgable enough in the fandom to know what a find it was), and happened across a box filled with canisters of Doctor Who episodes while you clearing out an old section of the warehouse

So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; June 13 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?
One rumor that's circulating is that a large mass of material has been found/was recovered, and that this happened either with or close in time to "The Underwater Menace" and "Galaxy 4." When those episodes made their premiere at the British Film Institute, the rumor was that was just the tip of the iceberg; people in the know knew that there was more than just those two.

Then specific names started getting tossed around. "Marco Polo." "The Enemy of the World." Possibly "Evil of the Daleks." (And yes, I know how unlikely a recovery of "Evil" is.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool says that he's heard from his sources that sixty episodes have been recovered. I can't believe that. No, wait, I can. But I won't believe that. Because that's impossible.

allyngibson.net
Old June 13 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

For those that believe this:

Congratulations! You are the 100th reader of this post and have won a million pounds. All I require are your bank account and PIN number, to be sent to my friend in Nigeria.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
One rumor that's circulating is that a large mass of material has been found/was recovered, and that this happened either with or close in time to "The Underwater Menace" and "Galaxy 4." When those episodes made their premiere at the British Film Institute, the rumor was that was just the tip of the iceberg; people in the know knew that there was more than just those two.

Then specific names started getting tossed around. "Marco Polo." "The Enemy of the World." Possibly "Evil of the Daleks." (And yes, I know how unlikely a recovery of "Evil" is.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool says that he's heard from his sources that sixty episodes have been recovered. I can't believe that. No, wait, I can. But I won't believe that. Because that's impossible.
Yea, I remembering reading "There's more, they're holding out on us".

60? OMG, my wildest dreams didn't even dare fantasize about more than 10 episode in one shot. 10 Episodes would cause a total fangasm, IMHO.

Wow, just... wow, this will be like taking a bath in awesome sauce if there's any truth to it.

DalekJim, yea, it's pretty incredible, but, this is BleedingCool we're talking about, after holding back on it for over a year and half, it's a pretty low chance that there's isn't some kind of smoke for the fire. Sure 60 could very well be an exaggeration, but, hard to believe it's complete BS. They're not known for just blurting any old rumor with no substance, without stating there is absolutely no substance. This article sounds like the author is holding back on some of the wilder claims

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:59 PM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?
Old June 13 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?
As I understand it, yes. That one was made to be transmitted once. It wasn't offered for sale abroad.

allyngibson.net
Old June 13 2013, 07:14 PM   #13
StCoop
Commodore

It all strikes me as people going "It's the 50th Anniversary so wouldn't it be wonderful if lots of missing episodes were found."
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Here's hoping Tenth Planet and Celestial Toymaker are found! Tenth Planet because c'mon, first regeneration and first cybermen, yes please! Celestial Toymaker as I saw the surviving fourth episode and loved it. Probably my favourite Hartnel episode I've seen.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:33 PM   #15
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
As I understand it, yes. That one was made to be transmitted once. It wasn't offered for sale abroad.
Which is just as well because it was abysmal (based on what I've seen from the fan reconstruction).