Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 1 2013, 03:04 AM   #31
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: Theory About Why Most Don't Care for Enterprise as Much...

I never understood Berman's musical taste. Everything sounds layered and bland, he didn't like scores with punch and bombastic horns blaring everywhere. Sometimes the background scores all sound the same. It's surprising how many shows actually credit a composer rather than a music supervisor. Apparently he thought audiences shouldn't be aware of the music.
Old September 1 2013, 05:05 AM   #32
DecktheThralls
Rear Admiral

The smarter they made the show - the shorter it would be on the air.
DecktheThralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 08:00 AM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The human-heavy crew I also found dull. Though not a favourite of mine, Phlox was an interesting addition, with some very alien abilities and a different approach to things, whilst T'Pol was a source of 'conflict'.

If the series had been set at the beginning of the Federation on a ship with Andorians, Tellarite, Rigellians, etc on board I would have found it more interesting--in the early days the very different ways each species looked at things would have made for some very interesting and dynamic stories.

I really wanted to like ENT, but it had no sense of adventure to it and did just feel like very poor VOY.
Old September 1 2013, 01:03 PM   #34
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

IMO, more use should have been made of established 'favourite' races from the beginning, with less emphasis on new species (which made parts of ENT seem like TNG / VOY alien-of-the-week). I would not be surprised if the Suliban / TCW put off a lot of viewers, and less said about vampire space nazis the better.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 02:38 PM   #35
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

We're lucky ENT and VOY were on UPN rather than one of the majors like NBC. Both shows probably would have done much worse and gotten cancelled early. They probably should have kept Trek as a first run syndication offer.
Old September 1 2013, 06:07 PM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I never understood Berman's musical taste. Everything sounds layered and bland, he didn't like scores with punch and bombastic horns blaring everywhere. Sometimes the background scores all sound the same. It's surprising how many shows actually credit a composer rather than a music supervisor. Apparently he thought audiences shouldn't be aware of the music.
In some respects the audiance shouldn't be aware of the music. If the music is done well it pulls you into the scene, the emotions, the tone of the it etc.. Bad music throws you out of thescene because you notice the music.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:21 AM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

But great music enhances a show. I'm thinking of Game of Thrones, some True Blood themes and of course NuBSG. Not everything can be NuBSG but I do think the VOY and DS9 music was forgettable and occasionally awful. That's why we notice the music in Counterpoint, because it's real music and not just bombastic or waffley filler.

ENT had a much better score, noticeably atmospheric and creative. Not amazing, but amazing compared to the three series that proceeded it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:40 AM   #38
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

VOY did a bit of it. I liked David Bell's Borg theme for VOY: Dark Frontier, and he did similar work in ENT. TOS had some great action music, and I missed that starting with TNG, but it admittedly had a lot less physical action stuff.
Old September 3 2013, 02:39 AM   #39
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

I really had a good time watching Enterprise. I knew going into it that it was considered to be the most "disliked" Trek, so I had low expectations. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

At first, the "new wording" (er, rather "old wording"?) did throw me off only at the very beginning, but it did convey to me that they were going for authenticity. That, and having Archer constantly "make mistakes" then mentioning that maybe one day there would be "rules" dictating ones behavior in a similar instance (aka the Prime Directive), also showed they were trying to go for a more authentic look at what it may have really been like in their century for space travel. I thought it took some thought of the writers and producers to put those in and it made sense.

The show got better and better as it went on. Sorry it went off while it did.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:45 AM   #40
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
The human-heavy crew I also found dull. Though not a favourite of mine, Phlox was an interesting addition, with some very alien abilities and a different approach to things, whilst T'Pol was a source of 'conflict'.
I also enjoy it more when there is a more "diverse" crew, however keep in mind it WAS the first command in space of that kind and the Federation had not been formed yet, therefore consisting of mostly humans, a Vulcan (which makes sense for the time period)...and Phlox (for some reason? I don't recall them explaining).

I really like when they have a more diverse crew, but can understand why they did not have one in THIS particular case.

I liked the integration of some recurring non-human characters towards the end such as Shran and the Xindi.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old September 3 2013, 02:56 AM   #41
Dream
Admiral

No one ever complains about Spock being the only alien in the crew in TOS.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:57 AM   #42
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
And he was only half-Vulcan!

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old September 3 2013, 03:38 AM   #43
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I was not a fan of Spock initially. I was fresh off The Outer Limits* a few years earlier. My first reaction upon seeing Spock was that he was the worst looking alien I'd ever seen. I thought it was sort of hokey to put an alien on the bridge. Maybe I was resenting the need for aliens to help humanity advance. Maybe it was a Forbidden Planet influence (or This Island Earth). Maybe I thought it was treating the Vulcans like technological gods. I don't know. Though usually I don't go around complaining about him like this.

EDIT: But I'm also a preacher's kid too (though he's long gone), so perhaps that's part of it.

* = Like that ugly mask Skip is wearing over there on the left between the cowboy and Melakon.

Last edited by Ho Ho Homeier; September 3 2013 at 03:54 AM.
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:38 AM   #44
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, Spock was always overrated to me. Sure he's an interesting character, but he just never clicked for me. He's there, he's a Trek icon, but I just don't get excited about him.
Old September 3 2013, 09:23 AM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

You need the context of Spock pre-rest of Trek. He was damn exciting before Trek filled up with main character aliens and entire species histories.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote