MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 12 2013, 09:25 PM   #31
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Changes To The Observation Lounge....

The text from the link is somewhat confusing:

"As the observation lounge windows, which were covered with a gray fabric when the set had to double as sickbay, were used for the new observation lounge set, sickbay needed a new wall behind the biobeds".

IIRC from my visits to the set in 1988 the sculpture wall and the lounge windows were connected and one set. When it was the conference lounge they moved chairs and briefing table inside, when it wasn't they moved the biobeds in there and covered the windows (with matching carpet pieces).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:32 AM   #32
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

The wooden wall with the golden starship models ran right through the ceiling circle above the central "master" biobed. When the set doubled as sickbay, that wall was removed. The wall was also removed in later seasons when the Observation Lounge doubled as the Captain's messhall ("Sins of the father") or a small theatre stage. The wall with the slanted windows was used in the Observation Lounge from season 1 to 7. In season 1, it was covered with carpet when the set was redressed as sickbay. When the windows were solely used as the Observation Lounge windows beginning in season 2, sickbay needed a new wall behind the biobeds so that wall was created anew.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:08 PM   #33
Praetor
Vice Admiral

While I really like the idea of the wall, can I just say that the whole gold on wooden paneling thing looks so incredibly dated? I mean it was a cool feature and all, but good lord. Sooo eighties...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Which is why they revived the brass or golden sculptures aboard the Enterprise-E?

I think it's a timeless theme and added some beautiful maritime touch to the conference lounge, just as the ancient steering wheel on the Enterprise-A in ST V (gotta be grateful for little things).

IMHO still much better than the sterile GNDN wall we got after the destruction of the sculpture wall, and I dare to speculate watching that in HD on Blu-ray will just emphasize what got lost here.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the wall on the E was kinda tacky too IMO.

But fully agreed it was better than the GNDN wall. I just have an issue with the whole gold/woodgrain thing. Plus it was the eighties... no one knew better.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old September 18 2013, 08:25 PM   #36
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Praetor wrote: View Post
Yeah, the wall on the E was kinda tacky too IMO.

But fully agreed it was better than the GNDN wall. I just have an issue with the whole gold/woodgrain thing. Plus it was the eighties... no one knew better.
Actually, BECAUSE it was the Eighties, EVERYBODY knew better.

I'm guessing you weren't around then?

Although, to be fair, I'm not in complete disagreement with you. I found the neon-colored shorts alot of my contemporaries wore then to be stupid looking. That's one fashion I do hope NEVER makes a comeback.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 09:53 PM   #37
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I was around for half of the decade...
Old September 18 2013, 11:41 PM   #38
Makarov
Commander

Part of the reason I love TNG is that for some reason the 80's styling is just crazy enough to feel like the distant future to me.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote