RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 809
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 30 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Changes To The Observation Lounge....

I've always liked that set but I can't understand why they had to get rid of the history of the enterprises. I thought it was a nice touch and bridged the gap between the TOS ship and the other enterprises. I always loved that you could see the TOS movie Enterprise and even the C and over time we got to see the C and even the Enterpise B in the movie generations.

So why change it I'm assuming it was removed at the season 5 I've seen it in season 4 .
Old August 30 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Changes To The Observation Lounge....

IIRC, the set was severely altered for STVI:TUC, filmed between TNG's season four and season five. It was the officer's mess set in TUC.
Old August 30 2013, 03:23 AM   #3
Lance
Fleet Captain

Correct. The new wall section seen in STVI is what replaces the "ships of the line" display from S5 onwards.

There's also a difference between the obs lounge in Season 1 and the one seen from Season 2 onwards. IIRC, in S1 it was a modified section of the sickbay set, whereas S2 saw them build a dedicated set for the obs lounge that was used for the rest of the series.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:11 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Forbid they remodel a room on a space hotel over seven years also.
Old August 30 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
IIRC, the set was severely altered for STVI:TUC, filmed between TNG's season four and season five. It was the officer's mess set in TUC.
Forgot about that didn't they use the engineering set from TNG for Star Trek 6 TUC as well ????
Old August 30 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Yup, they just coloured all the display panels Movie green/blue.
Old August 30 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Nero's Shadow
Captain

I liked this one more better seen from FC and Nem
Old August 31 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
jpv2000
Captain

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
I liked this one more better seen from FC and Nem
Same here. I was never too fond of the first one.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 12:38 AM   #9
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

FC had a very different lineage wall with larger models and the wall took up most of the..., well, wall. We see Picard walk past this larger wall at the beginning of the movie and, most notably, smashing it with a phaser rifle during his "Ahab moment." near the climax.

I'm not too much a fan of that lineage wall in the screen cap because the ships are not in scale with one another (it looks like they simply used the AMT/ERTL model kits available at the time) and also appear in no discernible order.
Old August 31 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
jpv2000
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FC had a very different lineage wall with larger models and the wall took up most of the..., well, wall. We see Picard walk past this larger wall at the beginning of the movie and, most notably, smashing it with a phaser rifle during his "Ahab moment." near the climax.

I'm not too much a fan of that lineage wall in the screen cap because the ships are not in scale with one another (it looks like they simply used the AMT/ERTL model kits available at the time) and also appear in no discernible order.
True, but I like both of those better than the original. I prefer the one in FC, but both are an improvement over the first, in my opinion.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 05:13 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Yep. Although I've never heard an explanation for this, I've always assumed that the set construction guys (or whatever their title actually is) accidentally damaged that ENTERPRISE model wall beyond repair during the reconstruction and it had to be replaced. It was just that nobody ever commented on it.

Still, if that WAS the case, I was disapointed that they didn't put up a new model wall instead of that "pointy ended" wall they ended up building.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 05:16 PM   #12
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Forgot about that didn't they use the engineering set from TNG for Star Trek 6 TUC as well ????
With the exception of the bridge, the entire ENTERPRISE-D set stood in for the ENTERPRISE-A in TUC.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yep. Although I've never heard an explanation for this, I've always assumed that the set construction guys (or whatever their title actually is) accidentally damaged that ENTERPRISE model wall beyond repair during the reconstruction and it had to be replaced. It was just that nobody ever commented on it.

Still, if that WAS the case, I was disapointed that they didn't put up a new model wall instead of that "pointy ended" wall they ended up building.
Actually that's what I had always heard, the lineage wall was damaged during the making of TUC. I think it's more likely they just thought the wood paneling and the crude gold models no longer looked good and went with a new wall that better fit the design themes of the 1990s (which had thankfully chucked out wood paneling) and the tone the series had taken on.
Old August 31 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I'm also sure some people were happy that the conference lounge's sculpture wall was destroyed because they got rid of uncomfortable evidence.

On the top right of the picture (first post) we can clearly see Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C.

As some may remember the official "excuse" for not using Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C design for the VFX model in "Yesterday's Enterprise" was that they couldn't find his original sketches and designs anymore.

They could have just gone to the conference lounge studio set and take a fracking look at the Enterprise-C sculpture!

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The excuse I had always heard was that Propert's design was too complicated to create in a limited time and budget that had to work with.