The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 30 2013, 09:19 PM   #31
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
As far as IMAX formatting, I don't get why that's important when you're viewing it at home. Yes, there may be more clarity, but it would be like looking at a letterbox VHS movie on a 13 inch TV, unless you have an IMAX screen handy.
It's the same reason I don't want TNG or any other series cropped to 16x9 -- the original aspect ratio is always better. In this case, some scenes were filmed with IMAX film, requiring a different aspect ratio.
Old August 30 2013, 09:20 PM   #32
The Keeper
Commodore

IIRC, someone here once stated a key story detail can only be seen in the IMAX format, 'Kirk and Uhura holding hands'.

Let the outrage commence!
Old August 30 2013, 10:22 PM   #33
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

TrekCore's INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray review: "...the most confusing, exploitative release ever"
Old August 30 2013, 10:27 PM   #34
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

geneo wrote: View Post
Very sad. Paramount should have created the correct blu ray with everything on it and sold it itself, forget about all that extra stuff put on different store's versions. Another unwise Paramount move.

If enough people protest maybe Paramount will do another release with everything on it.
Agree. I will not buy any version and wait for Paramount to release a version complete with all the extras in one release.
Old August 30 2013, 10:28 PM   #35
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Agree. I will not buy any version and wait for Paramount to release a version complete with all the extras in one release.
You'll be waiting a long time for that one.
Old August 30 2013, 11:03 PM   #36
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

While I agree it's scummy for Paramount to do this, it is something that happens with movies and music when released through retailers. One will have a book, another will have a few extra songs not available anywhere else, etc.
This isn't the same thing.. Previously, those "exclusive" bonus materials, books, music, toys, whatever, were in addition to what was created for the Blu-ray.

In this case, what was created for a typical Blu-ray release (2-ish hours of featurettes plus a commentary) is split into different releases.

Do you have Blade Runner on Blu-ray? Imagine that instead of the box set that's available everywhere, only Best Buy has a set that includes the workprint, only Target has a set that has the other cuts, only Wal-Mart has a set that has the deleted scenes, and every other release is just the final cut and a trailer. That's what STID has become.

And if this becomes a business model that other studios adopt, then fans are screwed.
Old August 30 2013, 11:46 PM   #37
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
While I agree it's scummy for Paramount to do this, it is something that happens with movies and music when released through retailers. One will have a book, another will have a few extra songs not available anywhere else, etc.
This isn't the same thing.. Previously, those "exclusive" bonus materials, books, music, toys, whatever, were in addition to what was created for the Blu-ray.

In this case, what was created for a typical Blu-ray release (2-ish hours of featurettes plus a commentary) is split into different releases.

Agree, this is disappointing.

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Galileo7 wrote: View Post
You'll be waiting a long time for that one.
I know.
Old August 31 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
As far as IMAX formatting, I don't get why that's important when you're viewing it at home. Yes, there may be more clarity, but it would be like looking at a letterbox VHS movie on a 13 inch TV, unless you have an IMAX screen handy.
It's the same reason I don't want TNG or any other series cropped to 16x9 -- the original aspect ratio is always better. In this case, some scenes were filmed with IMAX film, requiring a different aspect ratio.
And yet: I saw it both ways in the cinema, as I saw it on standard 2k digital projection, as well as in IMAX.

The Blu-ray presentation appears to mimic the standard theatrical AR.
Old August 31 2013, 02:34 AM   #39
austen_pierce
Captain

Practices like this will self-fulfill the standing prophecy that Blu-ray will be the shortest-lived media format EVER.
Old August 31 2013, 02:46 AM   #40
JWPlatt
Captain

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Practices like this will self-fulfill the standing prophecy that Blu-ray will be the shortest-lived media format EVER.
That honor may already be held by Circuit City's DIVX format (born June 8, 1998; died June 16, 1999), or maybe self-destructing disks like Flexplay. But they are both examples of where consumers flexed their power to reject manufacturer and studio stupidity, greed and eternal cynicism by not buying into it.
Old August 31 2013, 02:50 AM   #41
trekker670
Fleet Captain

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
And yet: I saw it both ways in the cinema, as I saw it on standard 2k digital projection, as well as in IMAX.

The Blu-ray presentation appears to mimic the standard theatrical AR.
Take a look at the TrekCore review, it clearly shows that the bluray is cropped from showing the full frame as it was filmed. I won't argue that the bluray shows what was given in your standard theater, but this movie was pushed as being an IMAX film (lots of press releases, trailers, even special showings), therefore the original intent of this film was to be show in the IMAX AR.
Old August 31 2013, 02:57 AM   #42
Skywalker
Admiral

The commentary track is the only bonus feature I'm really upset about. Very disappointing.
Old August 31 2013, 04:42 AM   #43
RollTide1017
Ensign

Heads up guys, go to CinemaNow.com and sign in or create an account. Search for "Star Trek" and the exclusive Best Buy extra features, with a 30 minute run time, show up as a "free title" purchase. Unfortunately you have to have a cc on the site to complete the purchase but, the price is $0.00. I have a feeling that this is a mistake so, act quickly.
Old August 31 2013, 07:48 AM   #44
Gsam
Lieutenant

here in northeast, usa it is almost 3 am and I have signed in my account and have the 30 minute extra features on my tv right now at $0.00. I don't get it either as one would think this was a mistake but the cust. service rep. gave me coupon code to put in so it would be free. So I guess IDK what to think or what to tell you except give it a try.
Old August 31 2013, 08:38 PM   #45
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
HD-DVD would like a word with you, sir.
Closed Thread