Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 7 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
serenitytrek1
Commander

Trek Literature in Abrams Universe.

Does anyone know when we will see and read a novel set in JJ Abrams Trek universe?

I am kind of disappointed that some of the novels including star fleet academy was cancelled earlier this year.

Whatculture seems to feel my pain. They listed 4 unpublished literature books set in Abram's Universe that could have inspired a movie.

http://whatculture.com/film/6-star-t...en-films.php/7

Which only makes me wonder why the books were cancelled in the first place...sigh.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Literature in Abrams Universe.

Some of the authors on this board have stated that at this point the Abramsverse novels, as they remember them, would need to be extensively re-written to fit into the continuity with "Into Darkness". So it seems that we won't be seeing any novels Neil after J.J Abrams is no longer in control.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Some of the authors on this board have stated that at this point the Abramsverse novels, as they remember them, would need to be extensively re-written to fit into the continuity with "Into Darkness". So it seems that we won't be seeing any novels Neil after J.J Abrams is no longer in control.
^I don't see how that first sentence leads into the second. Just because the specific novels we wrote aren't compatible with STID, that doesn't mean there couldn't be new Abramsverse novels commissioned if the interested parties were willing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

My guess would be that we probably won't see any Abrams-verse novels until after the third movie, at this point.
Old September 8 2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher - Amazon UK have Seek A Newer World as out this month.

I realise it's probably just a placeholder glitch, but I though you should know !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_...qid=1378596810

Last edited by Relayer1; September 8 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
Does anyone know when we will see and read a novel set in JJ Abrams Trek universe?

I am kind of disappointed that some of the novels including star fleet academy was cancelled earlier this year.

Whatculture seems to feel my pain. They listed 4 unpublished literature books set in Abram's Universe that could have inspired a movie.

http://whatculture.com/film/6-star-t...en-films.php/7

Which only makes me wonder why the books were cancelled in the first place...sigh.
Geeze, that article is fanboy histrionics at their worst.
Old September 8 2013, 03:25 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The novels were cancelled on orders from Bad Robot, weren't they? So if Abrams abdicates, they may someday see the light of day.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:14 AM   #8
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The novels were cancelled on orders from Bad Robot, weren't they? So if Abrams abdicates, they may someday see the light of day.
Presumably. It might have been Orci and Kurtzman who did it though, which seems likely after Orci's meltdown on TrekMovie. I don't get the feeling that he'd accept any AbramsTrek project he wasn't in on from the start, even if all he did was okay the idea.
Old September 8 2013, 04:41 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The novels were cancelled on orders from Bad Robot, weren't they?
We don't know that. There are a lot of speculations about what happened, but nothing definite.

So if Abrams abdicates, they may someday see the light of day.
Except at least a couple of them would no longer fit with screen canon, so they'd have to be heavily rewritten at the very least.

Old September 8 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

IIRC, Orci denied all knowledge of the cancellation on Trekmovie.com when it happened, saying he was looking forward to reading them.

I suspect the reason is THIS, or at least some snippet of it. TOS novels are Pocket's biggest sellers, and saying adios to those "sure thing" profits in favour of X number of years writing nuTrek novels instead probably did not thrill them.
Old September 8 2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Geeze, that article is fanboy histrionics at their worst.
He recommends that cerain novels replace the movies that were made based only on the blurbs?

And suggests that "no one besides the editors at Pocket Books, the guys at Bad Robot, and the authors have read them."

Since Orci & Kurtzman were busy writing STiD - and suggesting what TOS episodes could be featured in the IDW comics - I doubt they had time to read four whole novel manuscripts.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Since Orci & Kurtzman were busy writing STiD - and suggesting what TOS episodes could be featured in the IDW comics - I doubt they had time to read four whole novel manuscripts.
Really?

If I put my mind to it I can read a novel in four or so hours. Now what they would be doing would be a bit more extensive, with noting what changes need to be made. But I don't think it would be so much so that they couldn't handle it.
Old September 8 2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Really?

If I put my mind to it I can read a novel in four or so hours. Now what they would be doing would be a bit more extensive, with noting what changes need to be made. But I don't think it would be so much so that they couldn't handle it.

Depends on the book . . . and what your schedule is like. It recently took me a week to finish reading a ms. because I was reading it very closely and taking copious notes. And I'm currently juggling multiple writing and editing projects, so reading anything longer than a comic book is not really an option at the moment.

It's sometimes not so much a case of putting one mind's to it, but as having more pressing matters (and deadlines!) on your slate. And Works-in-Progress are always going to take priority.

Plus, after you've put in a full day working on Star Trek, the last thing you might want to do is read more Trek . . . especially if your spouse, friends, family, and pets want some of your attention, too!

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 8 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

And suggests that "no one besides the editors at Pocket Books, the guys at Bad Robot, and the authors have read them."

"The guys at Bad Robot" does not mean Kurtzman and Orci. K&O don't even work for Bad Robot -- they have their own distinct, eponymous production company now. Bad Robot is Abrams, Burk, and their employees, including a publicity/marketing department that's presumably responsible for reading and approving tie-ins.

Besides, there were four years between the two movies, and our novels came fairly early in that span. So it's possible they could've found the time. Whether that's relevant to the question of Bad Robot's or CBS's decisions is unknown, though.

Old September 8 2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Angstromdweller
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post

Really?

Well, that's you.

I've recently finished a master's degree in physics, do qualify for a Mensa membership, but the speed with which I read is just frustratingly slow.

It takes me maybe 20 hours to get through the average trek novel, and usually I manage to get through 15-20 novels per year in total. Four more would be a significant undertaking.

Skill and success doesn't necessarily mean that all abilities are equally gifted. Granted, one may be inclined to think that writers are decent readers in general, but still.