Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 31 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: College Football 2013

1001001 wrote: View Post
Well, my beloved Trojans look sketchy: Good defense, good running game, serious problems at the QB spot.

Both Wittek and Kessler looked off against Hawaii. If that game is any indication of our season, it will be a long one.
Would you say this is Kiffin's "make-or-break" season? I have seen that postulated elsewhere, but think they're a bit premature. Still.... the pressure is only going to get worse for him
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Use of Time
Commodore

He had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball last year in comparison to the rest of the PAC-12. (sans Oregon) He had an experienced QB and one of the premier WR's in college football. That performance against GT in their bowl game was abysmal. I will never understand why guys like Colin Cowherd continue to think this guy is a hot commodity head coach. He was handed the keys to a Lexus last year only to leave it crashed and burning in a ditch.
Old August 31 2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Use of Time wrote: View Post
That performance against GT in their bowl game was abysmal.
That was mostly on Wittek though. He was terrible.

And it doesn't look like has improved all that much.

I don't know about Kiffin. I think he's okay. Unless he can suit up at QB, there's not much he can do.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Use of Time
Commodore

I don't know about Kiffin. I think he's okay. Unless he can suit up at QB, there's not much he can do.
Maybe, but that whole team just didn't show up in that game. They obviously didn't want to be there and it showed. The Wittek excuse is fine for the bowl game but the PAC-12 wasn't that deep last year and USC really struggled against teams that didn't come close to having the same talent they did.
Old August 31 2013, 11:21 PM   #20

Maybe, but that whole team just didn't show up in that game. They obviously didn't want to be there and it showed. The Wittek excuse is fine for the bowl game but the PAC-12 wasn't that deep last year and USC really struggled against teams that didn't come close to having the same talent they did.
Last year was a tremendous disappointment. I look at the defense for a lot of that. The Trojans were undisciplined, and got a lot of stupid penalties to extend opponent's drives.

I'm no Kiffin apologist, I'm really kind of on the fence with him. I'm not sure how much is his fault. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the man.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 1 2013, 03:48 AM   #21
Use of Time
Commodore

Last year was a tremendous disappointment. I look at the defense for a lot of that. The Trojans were undisciplined, and got a lot of stupid penalties to extend opponent's drives.

I'm no Kiffin apologist, I'm really kind of on the fence with him. I'm not sure how much is his fault. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the man.
Well he is going to get another shot this year with an extremely talented team. I would think Kiffin would be wearing out his grace period if he can't get this team to win.
Old September 1 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

So much to talk about.

My Jacksonville State University Gamecocks beat the Alabama State University Hornets in a 24-22 win last night after a rain delay. I got caught in a torrential downpour and spent the entire game soaking wet. It was worth it though, The score was ASU 6 - JSU 0 at the half. JSU then switched quarterback and immediately scored three touchdowns and a field goal in 10 minutes to open the 3rd and seal the win. It was close near the end, though.

#5 Clemson gets to brag about beating #8 Georgia. If UGA loses to South Carolina next week, their season is effectively over. We'll see.

Boise State is not good.

FCS schools get some wins over notable FBS schools including:
Eastern Washington over Oregon State
North Dakota State over Kansas State
4 others
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:44 PM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

At least Cal didn't embarrass themselves last night, but there were some really crappy decisions that went on. Also, I don't like the new harshness on targeting players. It's too subjective, and any decision can change the complexion of the game. The Cal player who got ejected didn't look like he was targeting, just playing football. I understand the need for hits to the head and I respect that, but when are we no longer going to see "football" because of these rules. When is it just going to be two hand touch or flag football. The defense has to play, just like the offense.
Old September 1 2013, 11:06 PM   #24
Use of Time
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
At least Cal didn't embarrass themselves last night, but there were some really crappy decisions that went on. Also, I don't like the new harshness on targeting players. It's too subjective, and any decision can change the complexion of the game. The Cal player who got ejected didn't look like he was targeting, just playing football. I understand the need for hits to the head and I respect that, but when are we no longer going to see "football" because of these rules. When is it just going to be two hand touch or flag football. The defense has to play, just like the offense.
I saw that too. That kind of call is going to end up getting made in a high visibility game down the road and piss off a lot of people. Just a matter of time.
Old September 1 2013, 11:10 PM   #25
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I saw that too. That kind of call is going to end up getting made in a high visibility game down the road and piss off a lot of people. Just a matter of time.
And that is my main problem with the rule. What if this happened in a big bowl game, or the National Championship game. Heck, we have playoffs on the way, what about one of those games. I think these rules committees need to go back and get a more concrete definition of the rule, and take the subjectivity out of it. They want to protect players and stop hits to the head, fine. Just don't put too much power in the official's hands.
Old September 2 2013, 01:26 AM   #26
Use of Time
Commodore

Not that I had much faith in the Hokies against Bama anyway but the Tide didn't really look all that dominant on the offensive side of the ball. The Hokies pretty much handed them 21 points on special teams with a pick six thrown in as well. In terms of straight up offense and defense the game wasn't all that lopsided. The SEC is going to be a challenge for them this year if that is what they have to offer. McCarron was under 50% completing passes and they gave up over 130 yards on the ground to a first year starting running back from VT.

That being said it is only week 1 and Saban will no doubt adjust accordingly.
Old September 2 2013, 06:08 AM   #27
tighr
Commodore

I was also underwhelmed by the product on the field from Alabama. Nothing seemed to gel, which isn't what Saban is used to considering he typically performs above standard in games where he has plenty of time to prepare. The offensive line (largely brand new) probably had a lot to do with the troubles, as I noticed numerous hurries by McCarron and Yeldon seemed to have trouble getting through the LOS. But in open space outside the tackle box, everything else was typical Bama. The defense looked stifling, and obviously special teams were a win.

Almost feel guilty saying that a 35-10 victory wasn't good enough.

The line is going to need to improve for the team to have success this season.
Old September 4 2013, 02:15 AM   #28
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I don't think that victory was good enough. Alabama has line problems. If anything costs them a three-peat, it will be that.
Old September 8 2013, 02:53 PM   #29

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!

I hate being right on this one, but I said before USC has "serious problems" at the QB spot, and that could not have been more evident last night. Losing at home? To Washington State? This is a new low. Both QB's stunk up the place.

When your defense gives up 3 points, you expect to win the game. That was just...I can't think of the word...Charles?

Long season indeed...
Old September 12 2013, 03:55 AM   #30
Neroon
Mod of balance

Yahoo Sports has damning evidence of 5 SEC players receiving improper benefits - including Alabama OL DJ Fluker
Couple this with the Oklahoma St series in Sports Illustrated and these are not exactly golden times for college football. The difference with the Yahoo Sports report is that it contains actual physical documentation whereas the Okla St story evidence is made more of former players snitching on former teammates and coaches (Les Miles anyone?).
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote