Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 13 2013, 10:49 PM   #16
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Re: Sisko's judgment of Dukat in "Waltz"

The way I see it, after Waltz Dukat was no longer crazy. He was just (mostly) done deluding himself that he was one of the good guys the whole time, and that the universe was conspiring against him. Sisko made him face the fact that he was, in fact, evil, no matter what he told himself and others his intentions were. He could have redeemed himself at that point, but he chose to embrace it instead

Now, whether that was good for the character or not is debatable, and not everyone's going to like any change, let alone that one.
Old October 14 2013, 12:06 AM   #17
Tuvok
Lieutenant

Dukat was always charming and due to his charisma and drive quite likable.

But he did run a slave labour camp people.

Where people where worked to death.

Of course, part of him needed to be loved and respected, even by those beneath him.

But no matter how charming or wry he was. Dukat first and foremost was a monster

No matter what he told himself

Tuvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:13 AM   #18
Data girl
Ensign

I always thought Dukat had shades of grey. He loved his daughter ,but he would not let her get in the way of his power trips. I think dukat loved power more than anything else. I think he had corrupt power that led to his downfall.
However, I love his voice and the way he carries himself.
Data girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 02:25 AM   #19
Tuvok
Lieutenant

He sure was a charmer.

But a bastard is a bastard no matter the compliments.

When all is said and done, he truly believed that the Bajorans where better off being cared for (enslaved) by the Cardarssians.

He viewed the hell, the death and carnage as unfortunate side effects of a strict parent disciplining a naughty child.

The character had depth and loved ones, redeeming qualities. But even Monsters are capable of love, even when they are nuking settlement, working slaves to death and torturing others in the name of progress.
Tuvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 07:22 AM   #20
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think Dukat became 'evil' until after he completely lost his mind before that he seemed to behave in a way similar to how people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder behave.

Here is a list of typical symptoms of someone suffering from NPD:

• Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
  • Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others
  • Envies others and believes others envy him/her
  • Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
  • Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
  • Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
  • Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic
Sounds a lot like Dukat. Even though he was completely twisted before Waltz i don't think he would have ever gone as far as he did at the end of the series. It's pretty sad that he went from being a really complicated and multifaceted character to being a one dimensional 'i will rule the universe' type
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 04:36 PM   #21
nureintier
Commander

I certainly don't agree with him calling Dukat "pure evil." I mean, he wa nuts, he was an egomaniac, but "pure evil?" Nah. Though I do think they tried pretty hard to make him seem nastier in that particular episode and the later ones.

Part of me wishes that Waltz was the end of Dukat, but then, I guess I think any Dukat is better than no Dukat, because I still looked forward to any Dukat episodes when I first watched season 7. Still, i do think making him evil was a bad move and that he did become a cartoonish villain after that, rather than a complex character.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 11:28 PM   #22
Data girl
Ensign

Season 7 made me laugh. They even gave red evil eyes.
He was more interesting before that. He had comloex relationships with Kira and his daughter. Although , he did show how messed up he is when he did try and kill his daughter. However, the flawed chacters made DS9 the best
Data girl is offline   Reply With Quote