Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 3 2013, 11:41 PM   #31
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Defending J.J. Abrams (rant) (Spoilers)

James wrote: View Post
BruntFCA wrote: View Post
This board seems to be VERY pro Abrams from what I've read.

You are absolutely right on that one. They should change the name to JJTrekBBS. They are so pro Abrams it's not funny, to them the classic trek is old and obsolete. The classic version of Star Trek is superior to this new version in every way, the classic had life lessons and philosophy that could be applied to the real world plus it had a scientific system based on real astronomy.
I am a long time TOS fan and I do not think it is obsolete. I am also a huge JJ Abrams fan and think he has done a wonderful job with Star Trek.
Old September 3 2013, 11:43 PM   #32
James

Gojira wrote: View Post

You are absolutely right on that one. They should change the name to JJTrekBBS. They are so pro Abrams it's not funny, to them the classic trek is old and obsolete. The classic version of Star Trek is superior to this new version in every way, the classic had life lessons and philosophy that could be applied to the real world plus it had a scientific system based on real astronomy.
I am a long time TOS fan and I do not think it is obsolete. I am also a hugge JJ Abrams fan and think he has done a wonderful job with Star Trek.
Hugge? Apparently Abrams doesn't inspire proper grammar. Maybe you should stick to Abrams Trek only.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old September 3 2013, 11:52 PM   #33
SeerSGB
Admiral

Did I miss a report on CNN about ESA or NASA discovering giant space amoebas? Or that there was a giant space faring bugle snack heading our way.

As for morals: What I learned was that a ship of 400 people from an advanced civilization were worth more than a planet of primitives or any planet where the government didn't line up perfectly with Kirk's opinion.

I love TOS, it's my fav of the series, but at the end of the day it's as much fluff as any of the other entries in the franchise. And, yeah, remastering or not, it looks dated and campy to modern (see: younger) audiences.
Old September 4 2013, 12:09 AM   #34
Gojira
Commodore

I am a long time TOS fan and I do not think it is obsolete. I am also a hugge JJ Abrams fan and think he has done a wonderful job with Star Trek.
Hugge? Apparently Abrams doesn't inspire proper grammar. Maybe you should stick to Abrams Trek only.
It was a typo that I corrected. Why are you flamming me?
Old September 4 2013, 12:10 AM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

You really have no idea what you're talking about. But what else is new?

I like the Abrams films though I think they have flaws and am a huge fan of Star Trek: The Original Series which I started watching in 1975.

So you can take and cram your generalizations. Mmkay?
Old September 4 2013, 12:11 AM   #36
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

You are absolutely right on that one. They should change the name to JJTrekBBS. They are so pro Abrams it's not funny, to them the classic trek is old and obsolete.
I love the original series.
The classic version of Star Trek is superior to this new version in every way, the classic had life lessons and philosophy that could be applied to the real world
I thought it was a fun action-adventure show, but whatever.
plus it had a scientific system based on real astronomy.
Examples, please.
Old September 4 2013, 12:42 AM   #37
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Okay, your first post I might have let slide, assuming snark rather than intent to bait. Your second post is making it much more personal and the baiting more pointed; that will earn you a warning for trolling.

Comments on this should be taken to PM.

Re: this bit...
You are absolutely right on that one. They should change the name to JJTrekBBS.
You'll want to take that up in the Questions, Suggestions & Feedback forum. We don't do name changes in this one.
Old September 4 2013, 01:39 AM   #38
austen_pierce
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

You are absolutely right on that one. They should change the name to JJTrekBBS. They are so pro Abrams it's not funny, to them the classic trek is old and obsolete.
The classic version of Star Trek is superior to this new version in every way, the classic had life lessons and philosophy that could be applied to the real world
Examples, please.
I think (but obviously can't confirm) that the astronomy reference has to do with the naming of the stars and planets in TOS.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:02 AM   #39
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Examples, please.
I think (but obviously can't confirm) that the astronomy reference has to do with the naming of the stars and planets in TOS.
But they flipped the Bayer designation for Ceti Alpha. It should be Alpha Ceti.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 06:54 PM   #40
thumbtack
Commodore

the classic trek is old and obsolete.
Yes, but still entertaining in an old and obsolete kind of way.

Except for Voyager and Enterprise, which were not entertaining even before they became old and obsolete.
Old September 4 2013, 08:26 PM   #41
SeerSGB
Admiral

It boils down to this: Do you want the franchise to live on, or wallow in nostalgia until it fades its TV history? Be grateful for at least the fact that Abrams created serious films and didn't go the campy, silly route with them.
Old September 4 2013, 08:39 PM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Be grateful for at least the fact that Abrams created serious films and didn't go the campy, silly route with them.
This.

After the cancellation of Enterprise, I expected the next Trek project to star Will Farrell and Jack Black as Kirk and Spock.
Old September 4 2013, 08:48 PM   #43
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Be grateful for at least the fact that Abrams created serious films and didn't go the campy, silly route with them.
This.

After the cancellation of Enterprise, I expected the next Trek project to star Will Farrell and Jack Black as Kirk and Spock.
To be honest, I'd be surprised if something like that wasn't discussed at some point.

Abrams was the best choice for the job. He has a respect for the genre, he has the name, and--like his style or not--he has talent.
Old September 4 2013, 09:13 PM   #44
T'Cal
Commodore

As for the line from the OP about how TNG's films didn't do much character development, I have to disagree. In GEN, Picard moved forward emotionally after coming to terms with his brother's and nephew's deaths and saving an occupied planet Kirk and Data got emotions (and became an unsuccessful attempt at comic relief), not to mention the E-D died saving the lives of our heroes. FC had Geordi get eye implants, Picard developed feelings for Lily, Data became even more human during his captivity by the Borg Queen, and Deanna moved out of her comfort zone when dealing with the challenging Cochrane. INS saw Deanna and Will rekindle their relationship leading up to marriage in the next film, Picard fell in love, Data moved even closer to being as human as he can be by actively developing a relationship with a child, and Worf became an idiot (what a waste of a deep and richly written character). In NEM, Will & Deanna got married and prepare to move on to Will's first command as captain of Titan, Picard grew personally after meeting his insane young clone, Beverly is moving on to SF Medical, Data is preparing to move up to XO as a full commander, and Data made the most human decision ever - he sacrificed himself for his friends, not merely the ship and crew. While these films weren't great, there was some real character growth in them.
Old September 4 2013, 10:08 PM   #45
Opus
Commodore

T'Cal wrote: View Post
As for the line from the OP about how TNG's films didn't do much character development, I have to disagree.
A good topic for discussion.

In GEN, Picard moved forward emotionally after coming to terms with his brother's and nephew's deaths
Except the deaths were contrived. But I give you that Picard had a moment of growth in the movie. But is Picard different in the next movie as a result? I don't personally think so.

and saving an occupied planet (w/)Kirk
But is this character development per se?

and Data got emotions (and became an unsuccessful attempt at comic relief)
As a use of comic relief, yes. As character growth? I don't know. By the next film, he can turn on and off his emotions at will. He's kind of the same old Data.

not to mention the E-D died saving the lives of our heroes.
Not a character.

FC had Geordi get eye implants
But they did nothing to say how this affected the character of Geordi. This isn't "character growth" as defined by a story. We don't know if Geordi learned and grew from having new implants. He never talked about them. No growth here.

Picard developed feelings for Lily
Was that in the novel? Because it wasn't in the movie. They became pals, but Lilly's purpose was to call Picard out on his hypocracy. And speaking of Picard, his character actually regressed to a point before the episode "I, Borg" in Season 5 of TNG because he goes back to his angry revenge seeking ways and acts as though Hugh never existed.

Data became even more human during his captivity by the Borg Queen
Maybe for 0.68 seconds. But by the end of the movie, the reset button is hit and everything's the same again.

and Deanna moved out of her comfort zone when dealing with the challenging Cochrane.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to create character development, son.

INS saw Deanna and Will rekindle their relationship leading up to marriage in the next film
Yes, it was nice to see they actually followed through on that. It may be the only instance in the Berman era Trek films.

Picard fell in love
They did nothing with this. They hit the reset button at the end.

Data moved even closer to being as human as he can be by actively developing a relationship with a child
They did nothing with this. Another casualty of the reset button.

and Worf became an idiot (what a waste of a deep and richly written character).
And thus, not "development".

In NEM, Will & Deanna got married and prepare to move on to Will's first command as captain of Titan
Mentioned earlier, a nice touch.

Picard grew personally after meeting his insane young clone
Ugh! Don't remind me of the terrible premise of this movie, and how dreadfully dull Picard and Shinzon's conversations were with each other. "I know you because we share the same genetic material. Woooooo....." Did Logan never hear of... twins?! Nature vs. Nurture and all that jazz? My gosh, what an insipid plot point. And then Picard decides to just give up before Data arrives to beam him back to the E-E. Really?! That just sucks. Is it growth? I don't know. I guess it was supposed to be. It was stupid.

Beverly is moving on to SF Medical
Peripheral to the movie and her character.

Data is preparing to move up to XO as a full commander, and Data made the most human decision ever - he sacrificed himself for his friends, not merely the ship and crew.
True. But we will never know if the writers were going to bring him back as B-4. And since he had downloaded his memories to B-4 before his sacrifice, he would have had no knowledge of itand, as a result, no character growth from it.

While these films weren't great, there was some real character growth in them.
Ehhhh, I don't know. I'd have to say they were better action/adventure flicks than deep stories offering strong, palpable emotional growth of these characters.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote