Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?
Kirk 31 59.62%
Spock 12 23.08%
McCoy 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26 2013, 04:49 PM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Kirk, Spock, or McCoy

Ridiculously close between Kirk and Spock, but I have to go with Kirk. Such an amazing character.

William Shatner is my favourite actor of the three, too.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

So I am just curious why is Kirk everyone's favorite character? It will make the thread more interesting.

And I guess since I asked it is only fair my reasons for McCoy:

McCoy complains a lot and sometimes he unfairly gives Spock a hard time but personally I like flawed characters. He usually admits when he is wrong in the end.

I also like how he interacts with both Kirk (I see him in many ways as Kirk's conscious) and Spock (his verbal sparring partner).

He can be cantankerous but underneath it he is full of compassion. And yes he is hard on Spock but when Spock is hurt or in trouble he is often the first to run to his aid or to defend him.

Another large reason McCoy is my favorite is because of Deforest Kelley. From everything I read he was one of the nicest people in Hollywood, a true gentleman. The cast and staff of Star Trek all loved him and you aren't going to find a single bad thing said about him. Nimoy said that McCoy represented humanity which was perfect for De Kelley.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

Kirk is also a flawed character. So is Spock for that matter. Kirk is indeed heroic, resourceful, quick thinking and decisive, but he can also be impulsive and stubborn. He is intelligent and not a dumb jock like so many action heroes can be.

He can be charismatic and...he delivers great speeches.
Old August 26 2013, 06:10 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Kirk: The focal point of he famous trio that was brought to life by an incredible actor.
Old August 26 2013, 06:12 PM   #20
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Shatner's performance is probably the main reason he's my favourite TOS character. I was watching Wrath of Khan earlier, and found his performance bang-on in every scene, and deeply moving.
Old August 26 2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

If you'd have asked me a few years ago; I probably would have said, 'Spock' - but these days, for me, it's 'Kirk'.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Kirk was the character I liked best when I first started watching the show. But to be Kirk, he needs Spock and McCoy.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Mr_Homn
Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
If you'd have asked me a few years ago; I probably would have said, 'Spock' - but these days, for me, it's 'Kirk'.

Same here. Spock was my favorite for a long time. But then one day I realized every time I get a craving to watch star trek, in my mind's eye I'm thinking of Kirk.

Shatner was so charismatic as Kirk. He's the reason Kirk is my favorite. On paper, Spock is my favorite. But Shatner brings the intangibles. Nothing against Nimoy who was brilliant of course.
Old August 26 2013, 07:22 PM   #24
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Kinokima wrote: View Post
Nimoy said that McCoy represented humanity which was perfect for De Kelley.
Bones, for basically this reason. Most human character on the ship. Spock was half-human and Kirk's starring role frequently required him to be superhuman.
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 07:35 PM   #25
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Kirk is also a flawed character. So is Spock for that matter. Kirk is indeed heroic, resourceful, quick thinking and decisive, but he can also be impulsive and stubborn. He is intelligent and not a dumb jock like so many action heroes can be.

I won't argue that Kirk and Spock have flaws but often they are not as apparent for me as McCoy's. They are often proven to be right in the end.

That being said I love scenes when their flaws are more apparent. For example one of my favorite Spock episodes is Galileo Seven when he realizes "logic" might not always be the best answer.

I think the films also do a better job than the TV series of growing both Kirk & Spock.

That being said I agree with a lot of your other positives of Kirk. Honestly when I started watching the show I didn't think I would like Kirk as much as I do because I am not a big fan of his character type, but there is something about Kirk that makes it work for me and I think a lot of that does have to do with Shatner's charisma & performance ( a similar character I am not a fan of for example is Hogan from Hogan's Heroes). I can understand why his men are so loyal to him because I believe in him too.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 11:07 PM   #26
jpv2000
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post

This sums up my feelings on Kirk perfectly.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 02:22 AM   #27
Gojira
Commodore

I like them all pretty equally...but Spock has a slight edge over the other two.
Old August 27 2013, 02:43 AM   #28
Push The Button
Captain

It is amazing that, because we love these characters so much, we find it difficult to choose a favorite. Personally, I can't say the same for any of the spinoffs. In TNG, Picard was my favorite, with Data being a distant second, and then maybe Worf. As for the other series, I couldn't even name three from which to choose from each one.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 02:52 AM   #29
Shanndee
Commodore

Voted for Spock, but he and McCoy kick each other out of first place for me on a regular basis.

I am totally in the minority here in that I can't stand Kirk. Even as a kid I didn't like him, and I like him less and less the older I get!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 03:51 AM   #30
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't usually like the archetypal all-American action hero but Shatner's charisma performance made me connect with Kirk. His welcoming charisma was what made the world of Star Trek so inviting.

A damn shame all the critics shit on him. He has a few goofy moments, but no more than the rest of the cast.