RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,843
Posts: 5,220,633
Members: 24,231
Currently online: 751
Newest member: pheniks

TrekToday headlines

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2013, 04:57 PM   #1
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Hey Guys!

At one point in my life I was a stoner, but it didn't last long and I felt after about 6 months I learned all I could from weed and have moved on to a far healthier life. While I was in this green haze I would then as I do now watch a lot of Trek. While watching it in this mental state I learned a lot about how to watch the show!

When watching baked I would see the charactors not like charactors in the show but what they repersented in a metaphorical sense. I didn't see Picard or Janeway or Kirk as captains but leaders and there suborinates as architypal figures. The aliens where just sperate tribes or groups and while I knew I was watching Star Trek I could see past the sci-fi shell to the story itself. I was never able to see the show in this manner without post show diesection and introspection but after my stoner watching days it's like a superpower that has never gone away.

The other thing I noticed is that when you watch the shows baked that the flavor of the time it was made is very obvious! Each show oozes with it's time of production and I found while I enjoyed watching them all, the best show to watched ripped was TOS! I remember putting on "Amok Time" with my roomate, loading up the bong and laughing so hard when Spock smashed the computer that I couldn't breath for 10 minutes. The Doomsday Machine was almost too much to bear!

Have you guys had a smililar experince?
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.

Last edited by jazzstick; August 23 2013 at 07:47 PM.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

In the early to mid 80s (before TNG), I had a ritual. TOS aired at 6pm on the local station on weekdays, so I'd get home from work, roll three joints at 5:30, and light the first one at 5:45. By the time the show started, I was primed.

I was very particular about when I would get high in those days, only doing it after work. I learned early that I could not indulge and then go out in public, because once I decided to go for a drive while high. Ten minutes later I was automatically driving to work, thinking about something other than my driving, when I suddenly realized it was only Saturday. Since then, I only use the stuff indoors.

When I got a VCR and watched them that way while under the influence, I'd get very absorbed into it, one time spending 20 minutes analyzing and rewinding a 2 minute scene (Joe Tormolen's breakdown in The Naked Time). I watched everything in the scene-- actor delivery, camera work, music, all of it.

However, it doesn't work for me with TNG, DS9, VOY, or ENT. I suppose it works with TOS because of the sense of familiarity, because I was watching those when they first aired in the 60s.

I'm 62 and I still smoke the stuff when I can get it. Though right now, I'm out.

The only other show that worked with that stuff for me was Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner, also from the 1960s.

Oh, and also with The Three Stooges shorts, but only with Curly.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)

Last edited by Melakon; August 23 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

and if you smoke enough you sound like janeway
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

I've been smoking cigarettes since 1970, so I sound like Lauren Bacall.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Melakon wrote: View Post
In the early to mid 80s (before TNG), I had a ritual. TOS aired at 6pm on the local station on weekdays, so I'd get home from work, roll three joints at 5:30, and light the first one at 5:45. By the time the show started, I was primed.

I was very particular about when I would get high in those days, only doing it after work. I learned early that I could not indulge and then go out in public, because once I decided to go for a drive while high. Ten minutes later I was automatically driving to work, thinking about something other than my driving, when I suddenly realized it was only Saturday. Since then, I only use the stuff indoors.

When I got a VCR and watched them that way while under the influence, I'd get very absorbed into it, one time spending 20 minutes analyzing and rewinding a 2 minute scene (Joe Tormolen's breakdown in The Naked Time). I watched everything in the scene-- actor delivery, camera work, music, all of it.

However, it doesn't work for me with TNG, DS9, VOY, or ENT. I suppose it works with TOS because of the sense of familiarity, because I was watching those when they first aired in the 60s.

I'm 62 and I still smoke the stuff when I can get it. Though right now, I'm out.

The only other show that worked with that stuff for me was Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner, also from the 1960s.

Oh, and also with The Three Stooges shorts, but only with Curly.

Sounds like a great ritual!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

jazzstick wrote: View Post
Sounds like a great ritual!
It was more complicated than I made it sound. Rates were low enough I could usually get an o-zee then. First step was to dump it into a flour sifter to get the loose stuff first, and save the better stuff for later. There was a special tray I used to roll. I couldn't hand roll worth crap (still can't), so I used one of those little hand held rolling machines. And I think I burned incense. Each session, I repeated all the steps.

It was an old apartment house that had been a hotel during the 1920s, some units (there were only 25 single room apartments) had original Murphy beds in the wall with manufacturer labels showing a patent date of 1911. A lot of the people in the building indulged, including the manager. She'd join us in our weekend parties. Her husband was a former convict who didn't use the stuff, but he was an alcoholic. He could buy a case of beer at 6am, and go on another run at 9. We frequently had to carry him downstairs to his apartment, unconscious. One guy in the building was a dealer.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)

Last edited by Melakon; August 23 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Melakon wrote: View Post
. . . I learned early that I could not indulge and then go out in public, because once I decided to go for a drive while high. Ten minutes later I was automatically driving to work, thinking about something other than my driving, when I suddenly realized it was only Saturday.
Hell, I've done that when I'm completely sober!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:42 PM   #8
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Melakon wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
Sounds like a great ritual!
It was more complicated than I made it sound. Rates were low enough I could usually get an o-zee then. First step was to dump it into a flour sifter to get the loose stuff first, and save the better stuff for later. There was a special tray I used to roll. I couldn't hand roll worth crap (still can't), so I used one of those little hand held rolling machines. And I think I burned incense. Each session, I repeated all the steps. It was an old apartment house that had been a hotel during the 1920s, some units (there were only 25 single room apartments) had original Murphy beds in the wall with manufacturer labels with a date of 1911. A lot of the people in the building indulged, including the manager. She'd join us in our weekend parties.

Now that sounds like a Bukowski good time!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:44 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Me and a few friends once played a drinking game while watching season 7 of ds9. Take a drink every time Damar does. That got us pretty goofy.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:47 PM   #10
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

R. Star wrote: View Post
Me and a few friends once played a drinking game while watching season 7 of ds9. Take a drink every time Damar does. That got us pretty goofy.
Kanar...with Damar...LOL!!!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:54 PM   #11
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

I found TOS the most enjoyable in that mental state but Voyager was absolutly terrifying! I think it was from a fear of the Borg that I've had since I was a little kid! I remember watching the Scorpion two parter and having panic attacks as the "leader" tried to save one of her own from an enemey tribe while she crosses their territory!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

jazzstick wrote: View Post
Now that sounds like a Bukowski good time!
It was that type of neighborhood. It was 9 blocks from downtown. There were 5 bars within 3 blocks. The YMCA was 2 blocks away, and I worked there for a short time as a desk clerk renting out rooms. There was a greasy spoon diner next door to the Y. Just around the corner from us was the Blackstone Hotel, which was home to several prostitutes. One night there was a fire there, and all the girls and their pimps were wandering around the sidewalks. It wasn't that serious, because the hotel stayed open afterwards.

I finally got my first good job downtown, and since my rent was so low (about $100 a week, utilities included or perhaps even less), I stayed there though everyone thought I would move to a better place. My reasoning was now I could afford to buy things I wanted (like a computer, a color tv, and weed). I was without a car for a while too. I'd only made less than 9k any year before, but this new job started me at 17k. It was like being suddenly rich. I stayed there another 4 years, only leaving when I took a job transfer within the company across the state.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:27 PM   #13
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

Melakon wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
Now that sounds like a Bukowski good time!
It was that type of neighborhood. It was 9 blocks from downtown. There were 5 bars within 3 blocks. The YMCA was 2 blocks away, and I worked there for a short time as a desk clerk renting out rooms. There was a greasy spoon diner next door to the Y. Just around the corner from us was the Blackstone Hotel, which was home to several prostitutes. One night there was a fire there, and all the girls and their pimps were wandering around the sidewalks. It wasn't that serious, because the hotel stayed open afterwards.

I finally got my first good job downtown, and since my rent was so low (about $100 a week, utilities included or perhaps even less), I stayed there though everyone thought I would move to a better place. My reasoning was now I could afford to buy things I wanted (like a computer, a color tv, and weed). I was without a car for a while too. I'd only made less than 9k any year before, but this new job started me at 17k. It was like being suddenly rich. I stayed there another 4 years, only leaving when I took a job transfer within the company across the state.

Yeah that really sounds like a section out of "Women", cool!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

The weird thing about the Y was, the swimming pool was on the 5th floor.

We had one guy who lived at the Y when I worked there, he wound up on the news for killing a garage mechanic after being dissatisfied with their service. That was the kind of publicity we didn't need.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Kathryn's Avatar
 
Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Watching Trek...Higher Than A Kite!

jazzstick wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
Sounds like a great ritual!
It was more complicated than I made it sound. Rates were low enough I could usually get an o-zee then. First step was to dump it into a flour sifter to get the loose stuff first, and save the better stuff for later. There was a special tray I used to roll. I couldn't hand roll worth crap (still can't), so I used one of those little hand held rolling machines. And I think I burned incense. Each session, I repeated all the steps. It was an old apartment house that had been a hotel during the 1920s, some units (there were only 25 single room apartments) had original Murphy beds in the wall with manufacturer labels with a date of 1911. A lot of the people in the building indulged, including the manager. She'd join us in our weekend parties.

Now that sounds like a Bukowski good time!
As a fellow fan of Bukowski, I must agree. Hank would be proud.

However, Bukowski did say he stuck to drinking. He wasn't into drugs.

Still though...the part about the dude who drank a case at 6AM and another at 9AM...yeaaaa Bukowski.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.