Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 2 2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Nathan
Lieutenant Commander

Chris Benett's website..is it working?

Chris, I was trying to access your site to get some annotations, I was gonna give Uncertain Logic a try. Are you having problems with it? I thought maybe it was my computer, but I tried to access from both my home and work location with no luck.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Sran
Commodore

Re: Chris Benett's website..is it working?

^Just a suggestion, but you might try sending Christopher a PM.

Edit: Looks like his website is no longer working, based on his most recent blog post.

--Sran
Old April 2 2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Nathan
Lieutenant Commander

Sran, thanks for solving the mystery, I shoulda checked there too. Chris is probably pulling his hair out now. I'll just wait a few days, he'll probably have something up shortly. Thanks.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2015, 09:18 PM   #4
BuckBokai
Lieutenant

View BuckBokai's Twitter Profile

I've been wondering the same thing recently. Looks like the mystery is solved at least. Hope he gets a new one up and running soon!
Old April 2 2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Google cache still works, but clunky though
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2015, 12:55 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

I'm thinking I'll probably begin reconstructing my site as an expansion of my blog for the moment. At least that can be a stopgap, with the option to get a new author page later.

Oh, man, I just realized, there are going to be so many dead links to my site content on Memory Alpha and Beta now. That's why I hesitated to change hosts even though I was having problems with the one I had.

Come to think of it, that's probably an argument in favor of getting my own domain name that I can keep even if I change hosts.
Old April 3 2015, 01:04 AM   #7
Idran
Captain

Domain names are relatively cheap, and it's not too hard to hold one across hosts either. Though if you go that route, since it is one of the bigger names and so it might be on your mind, I'd recommend avoiding GoDaddy; they tend to have some awful business practices when it comes to domain name registration, trying to control their associated sites almost as much as an ISP, holding names hostage when they disagree with the content of the site, etc.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2015, 01:12 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, you're not the first person to warn me away from GoDaddy. Heck, the name itself makes it unappealing.

I've seen some recommendations for something called Bluehost.
Old April 3 2015, 01:13 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm thinking I'll probably begin reconstructing my site as an expansion of my blog for the moment. At least that can be a stopgap, with the option to get a new author page later.

Oh, man, I just realized, there are going to be so many dead links to my site content on Memory Alpha and Beta now. That's why I hesitated to change hosts even though I was having problems with the one I had.

Come to think of it, that's probably an argument in favor of getting my own domain name that I can keep even if I change hosts.
I left a comment on your blog and recommended pulling together your professional site and your WordPress blog as a single website. And if you went that route, WordPress.com offers the ability to buy a domain name with the domain upgrade, so what's now christopherbennett.wordpress.com could become christopherbennett.com or somesuch.

Just some thoughts. They might even be helpful.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2015, 01:26 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

^I gather that Bluehost offers a free domain name as part of their service, and one can upload WordPress software into it. I'm not sure if that would mean that I could move my blog there or tie the two pages together or whatever.
Old April 3 2015, 01:35 AM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I gather that Bluehost offers a free domain name as part of their service, and one can upload WordPress software into it. I'm not sure if that would mean that I could move my blog there or tie the two pages together or whatever.
If you went with Bluehost, yes, you could export your WordPress.com blog as an XML file and then import it into a new Bluehost-hosted WordPress install.

Advantages to this: You can use any theme you want, you can install plugins, you can even use Google Ads to make money. These are things you can't do on WordPress.com.

Disadvantages to this: Internal links in your blog will break and you'll have to go through and fix them by editing the old posts. You have to feel comfortable with maintaining your SQL install. You have to make backups of your database from time to time. You may have to handle your own PHP and SQL upgrades. In other words, there's a bit of technical stuff you'd have to do. That said, it's stuff that I'm fairly confident you could do.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2015, 01:47 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

^I don't even know what an SQL is. My sister got the computer-savvy genes in my family.
Old April 3 2015, 02:42 AM   #13
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ I think what Allyn means is that if you're smart enough to write and sell novels you're smart enough to learn how to do these things; they're not incredibly difficult and don't really require professional/carreer-level commitment. However it's still quite a bit to swallow and a fairly steep learning curve when starting from scratch and most likely the problem here is more lack of time (after all you do have a job to tend to) and/or interest. Which is fine; not everyone needs to be an engineer.

FWIW, I'm sure you could find someone in this community to work with you and help you out (IIRC I even offered in the past - currently super-busy at work until mid-April though) but of course that requires a high level of trust, and while it's possible to set things up to require minimum ongoing maintenance, does make you dependent on them (or a suitable substitute - at least it's not hard to find people who can deal in standard setups) in case of tech issues.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2015, 02:26 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Latest site update...

https://christopherlbennett.wordpres...heres-my-plan/

Long story short, I'm going to recreate my site content on my Written Worlds blog for now, either as a stopgap or a permanent change, depending on what I decide later.
Old April 3 2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I like how King-of-Science-Research-and-All-Other-Knowledge Christopher L. Bennett becomes flailing and helpless when confronted with researching relatively simple Internet tasks. It's reassuring in its own way.