"Second Chances" and its disturbing implications

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by polyharmonic, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Might well be, as the explanation we get in the episode is something our heroes cooked up on the spot, based on very little available evidence. Perhaps only the next cycle at Nervala IV, eight years later, would allow Starfleet to properly test the theory and discover that it didn't hold water after all?

Timo Saloniemi

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My take has always been that Riker's meteoric rise in rank was a series of lucky coincidences, as well as Riker being somebody who puts himself 'out there'. The Pegasus incident seen him, as literally a fresh graduate from the academy, take a critical role in protecting his captain when the majority of the ship's crew mutinied. Whatever the moral implications of the incident, and I don't doubt Riker stewed over them for decades afterwards, once they got back to Earth his standing up for Pressman and his keeping Pegasus a secret, he probably found a good word going in for him, hence his first promotion. Then the Nervala IV incident happens and he gets another commendation, resulting in his making Lt. Commander. If you look at the timeline, including the events of "Best of Both Worlds" where he does make Captain, then Riker goes from Ensign to Captain in the space of about nine years. He was probably seen as Starfleet's golden boy. I don't doubt that his decision to stay aboard Enterprise as her XO was seen as something of a surprise by the brass back at Starfleet command.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'd say it would depend on the context of the killing. The Riker clone was being formed from genetic material which was stolen from Riker, after he denied its use (as was his right to do). His rights were violated in the process, although the theft was done out of desperation.

4. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

It was a let down for me as well.

I always wanted Riker to be Captain, finally got my wish. :)

Worf agreed with me as he requested to transfer to Riker's new ship if he took the promotion, as I recall.

Even if it had meant his leaving the series, I knew someone would immediately start writing novels of Riker's adventures, as they now do. ;)

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda makes you consider property issues too. I know Will's "gift" of his own trombone to Tom was meant to be a peace offering... but shouldn't he have legal claim to everything else too? Almost insulting to be given one of your own things as a "gift" back to you by a fellow keeping the rest as if he's completely entitled to them all. Like I took your wallet but here's your license back. I don't need it.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

All of which is true, but should not Riker have expressed his disagreement with the creation of the clone upon the people who stole his genetic material and created the clone?

And not upon the unconscious and defenseless clone, who was innocent of all wrong doing?

:)

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Like I've said, since the clone hadn't achieved consciousness yet I think Riker was allowed to make the choice to abort it.

He should express his displeasure to the people who raped him as well.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that's a fairly amusing conundrum! :)