Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old June 19 2014, 06:44 PM   #31
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Deluxe soundtrack?

Okay, enough.

Everybody take five.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old June 19 2014, 07:23 PM   #32
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Deluxe soundtrack?

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I didn't intend to come back to this thread, but I feel compelled to do so.
Sometimes, it may be better just to walk away from a conversation which is going south.

That said: doubleoh, I really think you need to take a look at the way you're interacting with people here.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
God forbid anyone have two different version of the same thing...

I get the hesitation to double-dip, but it's not like you can't re-sell the original release if you have to. eBay, Amazon Marketplace, or your local CD stores are all viable options, people.
Condescending and snarky.

Money drives the market. It's the reason Paramount knows that they can, for instance, split up all the special features for Star Trek Into Darkness across the various DVD, Blu-Ray, and digital releases -- they know we will just buy them up.

What's more, motion picture scores are becoming "collector's items." They increasingly depend on our actually purchasing them to prove to the people producing the albums that there is still a market out there for these same kinds of products. The less money we spend, the more they believe "Nobody's gonna buy this," when considering what projects to do.

The Star Trek Into Darkness soundtrack album currently available is only $11.83 on Amazon if you buy the actual CD. It's listed at $9.49 if you just download the mp3 album and it's $7.88 to get a used album.

Forgive me but if you guys are going to be this butthurt about losing out on $10 measly dollars in the eventual double-dip, I would submit that there are probably better things you could be spending your hard earned money on.
Condescending and snarky, with a dollop of the "industry-insider"splaining which is becoming an unfortunate habit.

Somehow, I just knew you were going reply. [Snark]

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I have merely elected to wait for a possible (probable?) expanded edition of a soundtrack I like but don't love. In the meantime, I can quite easily live without it. "Double dipping is not the end of the world" - OK, err, so? I simply do not want to double dip on this release, that's it - no more, no less.
Good for you! [More snark]

Is it really necessary to use terms like "silly fan entitlement" when discussing this by the way?
Once again, I was not referring specifically or solely to you.

There are plenty of examples of "silly fan entitlement" on display in various threads throughout this message board.

The outrage over the Into Darkness home video special features comes to mind.

The whining about the TOS Soundtrack Box Set and before it the Ron Jones TNG Box Set not (initially) being made available in single disc releases.

Some fans want what they want and are increasingly unable to cope when the content they want isn't given to them exactly as they expect it. Even now, in the thread about the TOS Box Set thread, despite the gargantuan amount of manpower and work hours LaLaLand put into that 15-disc set and all 636 tracks (636!) there are still people in that thread who don't think it's enough. They spent time bitching about whether or not a track was missing. They're now wasting their time trying to assemble individual episode scores. The point is it's just not enough. Nothing ever will be.

That's what I mean by fan entitlement.

So, LOKAI, take a step back. I know it might be hard to parse out but my comments were not directed toward you. If you don't want to drop $7 on the album, great! The point is that it's there if you really want it. Clearly you don't really want it. But the implication that somehow fans are being shortchanged because one version is currently available but another isn't (yet, anyway) is ridiculous. Now, I know you didn't say that specifically, but someone would eventually. They always do.

And since I wasn't responding to you or referring to you specifically, you shouldn't be worried about any of it. So... chill.
Lecturing, mini-modding, condescending, and more snark.

Is this really the way you want to come across? Don't you think this kind of thing might be a contributing factor to so many conversations in which you've been a participant over the last several months becoming confrontational and even hostile? Maybe that's not been at all what you intended, but it is what I've been seeing happen. Perhaps it's time you took a step back and looked at this from a greater distance and a different perspective.

I'm going to let this thread cool off for a bit longer and then I'll consider whether to re-open. At this point, I'm inclined against, as there hasn't been any real news concerning an expanded soundtrack anyway.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Closed Thread