Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 27 2013, 05:33 PM   #76
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Old Star Trek TOS DVD's

My apologies to anyone who took offense to this line:
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
IMO, until you've seen Trek in HD, you haven't really ever seen Trek.
Qualified with "IMO," my only intent with the statement was to rave about the quality of the HD remaster. Nothing more, nothing less. I certainly didn't mean to imply that those who don't have the bluray sets aren't Star Trek fans, or to make fun of poor people (of which I'm one, by any definition), or anything else.
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Lacking any sophistication in the subject, a lot of us did not know that there were 35mm masters of each episode stored safely in Hollywood. We thought that the cut scenes would never be seen again, and that Star Trek itself was deteriorating, disintegrating, decomposing before our eyes. It seemed like soon the show would be gone forever.
The idea didn't seem out of the question back in the day when a show like Dr. Who could lose entire seasons worth or episodes forever.
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I thought the DVDs looked good but the blu-rays are way better. Better depth of field, color saturation, definition, etc.
It's interesting to compare the two versions of "WNMHGB" on bluray -- the aired version vs. the original version. Both episodes are in HD, but the original pilot was transferred from a 16mm source, and, though I'm no expert, it looks to me like the original pilot was just straight transferred; there's plenty of grain and, in general, it just looks more like an actual film being projected from a projector. It actually looks pretty cool.