Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 23 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

"You should have heard him defend you.." - really??

A guy that singlehandedly saved Earth.

And by proxy, every other Federation planet from a terrorist from the fucking future. A terrorist that took out the most powerful member planet of the UFP.

The terrorist that made his way to Earth and crippled all other ships by activating their defense grid prefix codes.

And he is to be demoted and sent back to the academy because some facepainted rolled up poster worshipping natives saw "a starship rising out of their oceans!".

Then later, Admiral Robocop has the gall to tell Kirk that Pike was defending him. Whoa! If anything, the UFP + the Feds + every Federation member sentient species should be beholding Kirk to the highest of honors.

Don't mind me. Just that particular aspect of STID really buggered me.

Kirk's a fucking hero and savior of the Feds. Show some fucking respect!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Re: "You should have heard him defend you.." - really??

Daily business for Starfleet in both realities, actually, and I agree, their stickling for rules is one of their more annoying aspects. Still, most of their officers are willing to find some loophole, and Pike's in this case is to reinstate Kirk to at least be his XO.

At any rate I think Pike was angrier at Kirk's recklessness and lack of humility than the actual breaking of rules.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

Also, Kirk saved squat. It was Spock who did all the actual saving. And he didn't even get promoted!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:03 PM   #4
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

They showed Kirk plenty of respect. They promoted him by several grades and gave him command of one of their newest ships. Not their fault that he blew it.

I tend to think it was less breaking the rules than it was lying about it that got Kirk in trouble. Rightly so. Had Kirk manned up to it, he probably would have gotten off with a lecture. Instead he proved that he wasn't a man, but a teenage boy who feels no responsibility to anyone or anything. The events of the previous movie were probably the difference between being demoted and being kicked out completely.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I do buy it, because although Kirk and crew did a great job stopping Nero, he was largely insubbordinate, flippant, and frankly he did not seem to respect the chair as Pike put it.

He should never have been down there endangering spock's life in the first place, and though morally it was the right thing, he did alter the natural development of the Nibiru native population, and broke Starfleet's #1 directive of not interference.

Kirk's journey in the film was about him attaining the wisdom he needed to be in command.

It also addressed his meteoric rise from Stowaway cadet on academic suspention to captain of the Federation flag ship.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

He should never have been down there endangering spock's life in the first place, and though morally it was the right thing, he did alter the natural development of the Nibiru native population, and broke Starfleet's #1 directive of not interference.
There is no further development period without the interference.
Old August 24 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post

And by proxy, every other Federation planet from a terrorist from the fucking future. A terrorist that took out the most powerful member planet of the UFP.

The terrorist that made his way to Earth and crippled all other ships by activating their defense grid prefix codes.

And he is to be demoted and sent back to the academy because some facepainted rolled up poster worshipping natives saw "a starship rising out of their oceans!".

Then later, Admiral Robocop has the gall to tell Kirk that Pike was defending him. Whoa! If anything, the UFP + the Feds + every Federation member sentient species should be beholding Kirk to the highest of honors.

They didn't bust him for violating the Prime Directive.

They busted him for lying about it on his reports. Hero or not, that's a BIG time no-no.
Old August 24 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
I tend to think it was less breaking the rules than it was lying about it that got Kirk in trouble. Rightly so. Had Kirk manned up to it, he probably would have gotten off with a lecture. Instead he proved that he wasn't a man, but a teenage boy who feels no responsibility to anyone or anything. The events of the previous movie were probably the difference between being demoted and being kicked out completely.
This of course assumes Prime Kirk didn't lie in his reports everytime he broke the Prime Directive.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:32 PM   #9
SeerSGB
Admiral

Kirk probably had a bullseye on his back from day after the Nero attacks. He jumped up the ladder, got command of the Enterprise, and was basically acting like he could do no wrong. It would be very likely that there's be senior officer or fellow captains lined up around the block to bust his nuts if they could get the dirt on him to do it.
Old August 24 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post

Ok, let's say you save a couple of people from a burning house. Does that make you an experienced fire fighter? Should everyone just bow before you and hand you everything for free?

Stopping a bad guy doesn't say anything about his command abilities. An incident where he violates the a major directive, doesn't care and even lies about it, does.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
He jumped up the ladder, got command of the Enterprise, and was basically acting like he could do no wrong.
So Kirk was acting like a typical Starfleet captain basically.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Stopping a bad guy doesn't say anything about his command abilities. An incident where he violates the a major directive, doesn't care and even lies about it, does.
So the problem here is basically that he's James T. Kirk.

Or are you seriously going to tell me that Kirk never broke the rules.

As for the lying in a report thing, didn't Janeway once make it sound like Kirk had a habit of fudging the details in his reports.
Old August 24 2013, 08:42 PM   #12
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I found the "You've been demoted back to the academy. Oh, wait, I went and defended you offscreen and now you're just demoted to First Officer" thing odd. Kirk never really suffers from that demotion, except hanging around in the bar, and it struck me as an odd punishment, even for fabricating a report. It wasn't "You're cashiered out of the service," but rather "Go back to school!" The double demotion seemed like a hold over from a previous version of the script that was downplayed until it becomes a five minute exchange that ultimately has little bearing on the plot of the film.
Old August 24 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

As for the lying in a report thing, didn't Janeway once make it sound like Kirk had a habit of fudging the details in his reports.
Well the confusion of reality and fiction is one problem of these films. "He is James T. Kirk, he just HAS to be Captain of the Enterprise."

Franchise demands put over logical character development.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Well the confusion of reality and fiction is one problem of these films. "He is James T. Kirk, he just HAS to be Captain of the Enterprise."
So basically your problem boils down to them doing something that isn't realistic aka business as usual in a Star Trek production.

I mean they had a fraking magic torpedo that made planets for God's sake.

And your telling me Kirk getting a three-step promotion from lieutenant to captain for saving the capital of the federation from a mad terrorist with a WMD never mind stopping him from taking out the rest of the federation breaks your suspension of disbelief

And the main reason for this is that he acts like SLIGHTLY more of a jerk than usual.

Franchise demands put over logical character development.
When the frak has Star Trek ever had logical character development?
Old August 25 2013, 04:21 AM   #15
MarsSpectre
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

There is no further development period without the interference.
Yeah, Spock's preaching to Kirk about violating the prime directive made no sense, because Spock was doing the same thing by stopping the volcano!!

Like Pike said, they were there to OBSERVE.
MarsSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote