Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 22 2014, 04:36 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Kirk's Medal(s)

In both This Side of Paradise and The Tholian Web, we see a shot of a medal of Kirk's. I'm not sure what each is supposed to represent exactly, but presumably they denote a past achievement of some sort...

My question is, do they supposedly represent the same medal, albeit with a different prop used? It seems like a lot of work to make two, which would represent two different achievements, considering that no specific meaning is attached to either one.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2014, 05:31 AM   #2
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Kirk's Medal(s)

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
In both This Side of Paradise and The Tholian Web, we see a shot of a medal of Kirk's. I'm not sure what each is supposed to represent exactly, but presumably they denote a past achievement of some sort...

My question is, do they supposedly represent the same medal, albeit with a different prop used? It seems like a lot of work to make two, which would represent two different achievements, considering that no specific meaning is attached to either one.
Neither script describes the medal other than "a medal." Since The Tholian Web script doesn't say something like "the same we saw in 'This Side of Paradise'," or "a different medal from the one we saw in 'This Side of Paradise"," I'm not sure we could ever divine the props' intent.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2014, 05:43 AM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

The little medallions are interesting, if a bit generic. One appears to be a figure standing on some steps, with a few others standing in the background, while holding something in his arm, and the other arm raised.

The other one is a figure with both arms raised, almost in a basketball-player pose. I don't know enough about classical symbolism to assume any meaning from them.

While viewing the one in The Tholian Web (right), McCoy is saying "He was a hero in every sense of the word, yet his life was sacrificed for nothing", so I'm assuming that medal must represent some heroic act. The other, which Kirk is looking at, I assume to represent perhaps his attainment of command, because I can't see him looking at one thinking "Boy, I sure was heroic!".

I'm supposing that the boxes they are in may have been cigar boxes originally.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Metryq
Fleet Captain

A partial list of Kirk's decorations is given in "Court Martial." The one that always makes me smile is "Starfleet citation for Conspicuous Gallantry." What does that mean—that Kirk paused in the middle of the action to strike a heroic pose, then dove back into the action? (You never know when some time traveling historian is on the loose with a camera.)
Old November 22 2014, 11:07 AM   #5
2takesfrakes
Commodore

You can see the outline of whatever the box originally contained still in the cloth of the one on the left. That's sort of cheesey ...
Old November 22 2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
You can see the outline of whatever the box originally contained still in the cloth of the one on the left. That's sort of cheesey ...
I hate to go there, but it looks like the outline of a penis medal.

Anyway, someone identified the actual real world medals used in a thread long ago.
Old November 22 2014, 03:17 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'd love to see a close-up of Kirk's medal in Star Trek for comparison. Are any good pics out there?
Old November 22 2014, 04:01 PM   #8
J.T.B.
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
The one that always makes me smile is "Starfleet citation for Conspicuous Gallantry." What does that mean—that Kirk paused in the middle of the action to strike a heroic pose, then dove back into the action?
Heh, that reading never occurred to me. It's borrowed British terminology that goes back to one of their older military decorations, the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Anyway, someone identified the actual real world medals used in a thread long ago.
I think the consensus was that they were generic trophy shop athletic/sports medals.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2014, 04:23 PM   #9
BK613
Fleet Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I think the consensus was that they were generic trophy shop athletic/sports medals.
Agreed.
Old November 22 2014, 06:21 PM   #10
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

The box imprint might just be loose satin that fell that way upon opening. Not necessarily a close-fitting case for something else now missing.
Old November 23 2014, 01:57 AM   #11
Poltargyst
Lieutenant Commander

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I hate to go there, but it looks like the outline of a penis medal.
Oh, if anyone's deserves a medal, I'm sure it's Kirk's.
Poltargyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2014, 03:07 AM   #12
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Neither script describes the medal other than "a medal." Since The Tholian Web script doesn't say something like "the same we saw in 'This Side of Paradise'," or "a different medal from the one we saw in 'This Side of Paradise"," I'm not sure we could ever divine the props' intent.

The intent may not have been explicit and thought out, but the end result is that we clearly see two different medals. One is awarded for getting women to surrender and the other is for climbing staircases naked.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2014, 05:59 PM   #13
PCz911
Commander

Interesting topic. But, don't get me wrong, all I could do was think about this being a scene in galaxy quest. My apologies for the snickering. Especially with some of the responses (stair climbing...). Very good.
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2014, 06:43 PM   #14
J.T.B.
Commodore

Just imagine Frank Gorshin saying "Of course they're different medals! Look, that ribbon is red on the right side instead of the left!"
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Metryq
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
One is awarded for getting women to surrender and the other is for climbing staircases naked.

Kirk also has medals for talking computers to death, dramatic pauses and shoulder rolls. And he took the Grand Chess Master of Vulcan award three years in a row.