RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,395
Posts: 5,505,573
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 455
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 24 2013, 02:19 AM   #46
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
There's literally ZERO reason he needed to come in here and shit on this actor's coming out other than to bash him.
I don't see how my post was any less valid than anybody else's. If people disagree then that is fine, but calling me a homophobe because I'm skeptical of one celebrity's actions is not a nice way of debating, and is a fuckton more confrontational than my criticism of that bloke off of fucking Prison Break.

I am not a homophobe, nor have I ever said anything homophobic. I have respected Orson Scott Card's right to free speech, and acted skeptical regarding the actions of one celebrity's tabloid antics. This equates in Locutus's mind as homophobia, and he is entitled to his opinion. I just don't want people that I perhaps actually like and respect reading his bullshit claims that I am frequently homophobic, and believing them.
I know I said I'd carry this on in PM only but I'll reply to this because I want to clarify that I did not call you a homophobe nor do I think you are one. I do think you say things that are anti-homosexual in nature. I also think you sometimes say things that have misogynist and racist tinges to them, though. I don't think you hate women or are a racist but you have a consistent habit of saying things that, from where I'm sitting, are very, very problematic. You can disagree but I hope you at least consider what I said instead of writing it off as political correctness because that's not what this is by any means.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:28 AM   #47
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Also, you're just annoying in general, so that tends to amplify the harsh feelings I have towards you. You might just be the Diet Coke of homophobia, but in the little world of TrekBBS, you're a giant irritating mosquito that always pecking at me, so it adds up.
Likewise, I consider you to be a total proponent of anti-individual, aggressive mob mentality, highlighted by your stock internet meme avatar. It doesn't help that you appear to have gone completely power mad with your mod status, parading around the forum with personal attacks such as the one you just leveled at me. Attacks that would have gotten any other user a bollocking.

try not having a kneejerk negative reaction to anything involving gay people in threads for a while. Then I might reevaluate my opinion.
I don't need to establish shit. Anybody paying attention should see that I am not homophobic.

sidious618 wrote:
I know I said I'd carry this on in PM only but I'll reply to this because I want to clarify that I did not call you a homophobe nor do I think you are one. I do think you say things that are anti-homosexual in nature. I also think you sometimes say things that have misogynist and racist tinges to them, though. I don't think you hate women or are a racist but you have a consistent habit of saying things that, from where I'm sitting, are very, very problematic. You can disagree but I hope you at least consider what I said instead of writing it off as political correctness because that's not what this is by any means.
Hmm, I appreciate your more civil tone, but don't think my views on homosexuals are anything less than fair. I have plenty of gay friends (It's impossible to be a Doctor Who obsessive and not have at least 7!), never refer to homosexuals derogatorily, believe they should have the same rights as us, have watched gay pornography, and been involved in sexual acts with men.

...yet I'm homophobic because I'm skeptical of the Prison Break guy? It just strikes me as unfair. If I was a homophobe, I'd take that claim. I don't care either way. but I'm not, so it's factually incorrect.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:30 AM   #48
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

EDIT: Never mind, completely off topic.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.

Last edited by Nagisa Furukawa; August 24 2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Off topic diversion.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:39 AM   #49
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
EDIT: Never mind, completely off topic.
As opposed to the last 2 pages?

I need sleep because it's late, and my need for sleep outweighs my need to defend myself from clunky accusations from total strangers across the ocean.

Peace.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:42 AM   #50
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
You're openly hostile and antagonistic when you talk about homosexuals.
Man, I've done gay things with guys and openly support them having all our rights. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, and are trying to push across your snideness as tolerance. It's disgraceful bullshit.
What exactly are "gay things?" Picking out drapes? Making cut-off jean shorts? Homemade crepes? The only gay "thing" is having an sexual attraction to someone of your own gender. I don't care if you've gone down on a string of men in one fantastic orgy of fellatio. Unless you are sexually attracted to and prefer the company of men you've done no "gay things." It's possible to engage in same-sex sexual encounters and not be gay. How, when, where and for what personal or professional motivations someone chooses to come out is their own business. I don't care if an actor things it'll get him another $50 million on the opening weekend. He can come out whenever, however he wants.

Hell, it'll be nice when things like this AREN'T news.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:44 AM   #51
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses
 
The Festivus Awakens's Avatar
 
Location: Performing Festivus Miracles
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Likewise, I consider you to be a total proponent of anti-individual, aggressive mob mentality, highlighted by your stock internet meme avatar.
You know, say what you will about me, my family, my friends, my pets... what have you. But when you insult my avatar, that just cuts right to the core of me.

I always knew Duchovny was part of the establishment the whole time.

It doesn't help that you appear to have gone completely power mad with your mod status.
__________________
Locutus of Bored
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #52
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Well, I've observed some things here-

1) People don't like being called homophobes...even when they haven't been called homophobes.

2) People need to pay less attention to how they view themselves and more attention to how people are saying they're coming across.

3) N people saying you behave in a certain way doesn't mean you behave in that way. But it might be a sign that you should consider whether you -might- be behaving in that way.

4) If you're going to go cynical on something, try to have a substantive reason for it beyond being cynical. Oh, and state what that reason is. Or at least state that you're just being cynical because you're a cynic, and don't actually have any deeper reason for your feelings.

I'm reminded of when I told someone they were "acting stupid" and they went postal on me for calling them stupid. Which is to say there's a difference between how one behaves at a given moment and one's general personality.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #53
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
What exactly are "gay things?" Picking out drapes? Making cut-off jean shorts? Homemade crepes? The only gay "thing" is having an sexual attraction to someone of your own gender. I don't care if you've gone down on a string of men in one fantastic orgy of fellatio. Unless you are sexually attracted to and prefer the company of men you've done no "gay things." It's possible to engage in same-sex sexual encounters and not be gay.
Come on, it's abundantly clear what he meant, IE some form of physical relations with a man from the same sex. It's just semantics to argue otherwise and there's absolutely nothing offensive about referring to same-sex encounters that one's self had as "gay things." That's insanely stretching to find something to be offended by.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #54
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

I've never watched Prison Break so I have no idea who Wentworth Miller is, but good on him for coming out.

I still hope to see the day where coming out about one's sexuality is as important as coming out about one's skin colour, etc. A complete non-issue.

But until that day, hooray for people like Wentworth! I hope he's an inspiration to people struggling with self-acceptance.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 03:02 AM   #55
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
EDIT: Never mind, completely off topic.
As opposed to the last 2 pages?

I need sleep because it's late, and my need for sleep outweighs my need to defend myself from clunky accusations from total strangers across the ocean.

Peace.
How is discussing peoples reactions and comments on Miller coming out off topic?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:28 AM   #56
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral
 
Jolly Old Krampus's Avatar
 
Location: Gryffindorian
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
I've never watched Prison Break so I have no idea who Wentworth Miller is, but good on him for coming out.

I still hope to see the day where coming out about one's sexuality is as important as coming out about one's skin colour, etc. A complete non-issue.

But until that day, hooray for people like Wentworth! I hope he's an inspiration to people struggling with self-acceptance.
This. . Not too long ago, there was a thread I started regarding how certain gay celebrities choose to come out nowadays, and I'm reminded of that thread. Depending on one's point of view, either the issue matters or it doesn't. But I always admire those who don't feel they have to hide who or what they are. It's not like gay celebs have to have a press conference when they come out; in a lot of cases, they were never in the closet to begin with. As long as they've made peace with themselves, the negative publicity and backlash don't really matter.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Jolly Old Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:38 AM   #57
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
What exactly are "gay things?" Picking out drapes? Making cut-off jean shorts? Homemade crepes? The only gay "thing" is having an sexual attraction to someone of your own gender. I don't care if you've gone down on a string of men in one fantastic orgy of fellatio. Unless you are sexually attracted to and prefer the company of men you've done no "gay things." It's possible to engage in same-sex sexual encounters and not be gay.
Come on, it's abundantly clear what he meant, IE some form of physical relations with a man from the same sex. It's just semantics to argue otherwise and there's absolutely nothing offensive about referring to same-sex encounters that one's self had as "gay things." That's insanely stretching to find something to be offended by.
From my experience within the gay community, and it is considerable, gay people don't tend to refer to intimate same sex relations as "gay things," just as a straight person doesn't tell someone, "oh yeah, I totally did straight things with that person last night."

It's something a person who has absolutely no understanding of a same sex relationship would say. It's like watching The Cosby show and then telling people you consult with a black doctor when cries of racism are thrown your way.

In short, I doubt the veracity of his statement.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:45 AM   #58
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
What exactly are "gay things?" Picking out drapes? Making cut-off jean shorts? Homemade crepes? The only gay "thing" is having an sexual attraction to someone of your own gender. I don't care if you've gone down on a string of men in one fantastic orgy of fellatio. Unless you are sexually attracted to and prefer the company of men you've done no "gay things." It's possible to engage in same-sex sexual encounters and not be gay.
Come on, it's abundantly clear what he meant, IE some form of physical relations with a man from the same sex. It's just semantics to argue otherwise and there's absolutely nothing offensive about referring to same-sex encounters that one's self had as "gay things." That's insanely stretching to find something to be offended by.
From my experience within the gay community, and it is considerable, gay people don't tend to refer to intimate same sex relations as "gay things," just as a straight person doesn't tell someone, "oh yeah, I totally did straight things with that person last night."

It's something a person who has absolutely no understanding of a same sex relationship would say. It's like watching The Cosby show and then telling people you consult with a black doctor when cries of racism are thrown your way.

In short, I doubt the veracity of his statement.
He used the wrongs words therefore he's not one of us!! Let's get the pitchforks and torches and go chase him down!! He didn't describe his personal, private same-sex experience in the same words we do; he's just pretending to be one of us!! Faker!! Liar!! *gets mob*

__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:47 AM   #59
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

J. Allen wrote:
From my experience within the gay community, and it is considerable, gay people don't tend to refer to intimate same sex relations as "gay things," just as a straight person doesn't tell someone, "oh yeah, I totally did straight things with that person last night."

It's something a person who has absolutely no understanding of a same sex relationship would say. It's like watching The Cosby show and then telling people you consult with a black doctor when cries of racism are thrown your way.

In short, I doubt the veracity of his statement.
If that really, genuinely offends and upsets you then fine, but what I said doesn't even stretch the vaguest boundaries of political correctness I've encountered before. You people are acting like the gay community is this ridiculously delicate subset of people, and it's just beyond patronising to them. No gay person I've ever met would be offended by my use of the word "gay" to describe the act of myself kissing, fondling or fucking another man for pleasure.

Seriously, take a step back and look at this situation objectively. It's just this insane PC witch-hunt that's spiraled out of control. In being so desperately not to offend, and to appear tolerant, you've fed in to something very obscene. Liberalism today is a joke because of stuff like this.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:50 AM   #60
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
He used the wrongs words therefore he's not one of us!! Let's get the pitchforks and torches and go chase him down!! He didn't describe his personal, private same-sex experience in the same words we do; he's just pretending to be one of us!! Faker!! Liar!! *gets mob*

Your hyperbole is useless.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If that really offends you then fine, but what I said doesn't even stretch the vaguest boundaries of political correctness I've encountered before. You people are acting like the gay community is this ridiculously delicate subset of people, and it's just beyond patronising to them. No gay person I've ever met would be offended by my use of the word "gay" to describe the act of myself kissing another man for pleasure.

Seriously, take a step back and look at this situation objectively. It's just this insane PC witch-hunt that's spiraled out of control. In being so desperately not to offend, you've fed in to something very obscene.
Actually, it's rather difficult to offend me, but I don't hesitate to say when something doesn't pass the smell test. Your posts do not. You are either very inexperienced with the community, and are attempting to shore up your credibility on the matter, or you are making it up on the spot. Neither option speaks well of your intent.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.