RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,760
Posts: 5,216,465
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 876
Newest member: Vger23

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2013, 11:14 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

I'm upgrading the smartphone tomorrow. I pretty much had settled on the Samsung GS4, though the Note's 5.5" screen almost swayed me, and my happiness with my previous 2 HTC phones almost made me choose the beautifully made HTC One. Anyone want to take a last stab convincing me of which phone to get? T-Mobile is my carrier.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

I'd say go with your gut says, if you are swayed chances are sooner or later you'll wish you wnet with what you wanted.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

Moto X or HTC One. I don't think T-Mo is getting the X just yet though.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

So apparently the Sony rep had come into the store not long before we got there, because they were pushing the Xperia, a pretty good phone. Gorilla glass, waterproof, and 5" screen, quad core 1.5 ghz cpu. I didn't really need to see the salesman's Xperia while in the shower though, but there was that. My wife chose that one. They almost swayed me because apparently my battery was water damaged from my gym sweat...but I wound up getting the GalaxyS4, and so far it's the best phone I've had or tried out. Really happy with it. In particular, the radio seems to get much better reception than my last phone. LTE has come to my area and although I'm on the outer fringes most of the time, I look forward to trying that out too.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; August 25 2013 at 10:56 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

I like my iPhone 5 out-of-the-box, but if I ever get an Android phone I'm going to root it immediately so I can play around with it.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

So my iPhone 4 finally bit the dust. After nearly two and a half years, the poor battery was giving out. It would only hold a charge for about six hours, and the constant charging was making it worse.
I did some research and came to the conclusion that the HTC One was the way to go, but when I got to the Verizon store I pussed out and played it safe with the iPhone 5. Big mistake...
It's extremely light, and feels cheap. The battery sucks. I could have it fully charged when I go to bed, and it's at 93% when I wake up, and through minimal usage throughout the day like listening to podcasts on my commute, checking my e-mail a couple of times per day and maybe a few words with friends, and it's down to 40% by the time I get home.
Worst of all, it's the most boring phone I've owned. There is no personality or anything interesting about it. I loved my iphone 4, but the 5 was just dull.
So after a week of not liking the 5, I took advantage of Verizon's 14 day return, gladly paid the $35 restocking fee and picked up the HTC One yesterday. So far I love it! It looks great, feels great, the battery is top notch, and while I have a lot to learn, it's a very fun phone to play around with. So glad I picked it up.
__________________
Henderson!!!!
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
LaxScrutiny
Commodore
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

RAMA wrote: View Post
They almost swayed me because apparently my battery was water damaged from my gym sweat....
I have long bemoaned the fact that my electronic watch can survive being submerged to 150 meters, but they can't make a phone that can survive a few drops of sweat.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

What would happen if you say dared to use it outside when it was raining?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
They almost swayed me because apparently my battery was water damaged from my gym sweat....
I have long bemoaned the fact that my electronic watch can survive being submerged to 150 meters, but they can't make a phone that can survive a few drops of sweat.
Motorola and a few other companies do employ various protective seals and coatings and such. Sony even has a phone (and a tablet) you can use completely submerged.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

Lindley wrote: View Post
I like my iPhone 5 out-of-the-box, but if I ever get an Android phone I'm going to root it immediately so I can play around with it.
That's the thing... You don't need to root your Android phone to play around with it. Get yourself a decent launcher, like Nova Launcher, and you have tremendous flexibility.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
I like my iPhone 5 out-of-the-box, but if I ever get an Android phone I'm going to root it immediately so I can play around with it.
That's the thing... You don't need to root your Android phone to play around with it. Get yourself a decent launcher, like Nova Launcher, and you have tremendous flexibility.
I'll have to check that out sometime. I have encountered enough things I've needed root for not to dismiss that option, though.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
I like my iPhone 5 out-of-the-box, but if I ever get an Android phone I'm going to root it immediately so I can play around with it.
That's the thing... You don't need to root your Android phone to play around with it. Get yourself a decent launcher, like Nova Launcher, and you have tremendous flexibility.
Does that allow you to control things (ala Services on a PC) as well as uninstall the "uninstallable" apps?

Also, every thread I've seen about rooting also talks about replacing the OS. Is that necessary?
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

As far as I am aware, rooting does not require you to replace to OS. Rooting is merely a way to let you change settings that you aren't normally allowed to change.

And no, Nova launcher doesn't allow you to uninstall the apps that you would normally be prevented from uninstalling. it's just an app that lets you change the appearance of the homescreens and the app dock.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Into Darkness
Commander
 
Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: In the Doctors Tardis about to enter a Stargate
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

One thing I will say for Samsungs flagship phones is you can never go wrong. Amazing phones.
Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:24 AM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: It's that time again: Smartphone upgrade!

I loves me my iPhone 5s. I'm glad I got it instead of the c. I'm waiting for more apps to use that fingerprint sensor!
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.