Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 28 2013, 12:46 AM   #46
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Never seen TOS scenes (revisit)...

Redfern wrote: View Post
Obviously, Warped9 used an image of Bain as she appeared in the mid 1960s, some 8 or 9 years before her appearance in the Gerry Anderson series. Logically, she'd look younger.

Sincerely,

Bill
Yes, the image is from a first season Mission: Impossible episode which was in production concurrently with TOS.
Old August 30 2013, 03:41 AM   #47
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Data is the default Science Officer. Admiral Quinn was right when those Conspiracy creatures wouldn't like him, since they couldn't take over his body, and plus if a host tried even they would get beat up.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 05:26 AM   #48
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant

Mysterion wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post

Good for Memory Alpha. It isn't supported by on-screen evidence, though.
The basis might be that he was frequently shown using bridge science stations which were not manned by officers from the science division, or anyone else.
Perhaps. Still doesn't make him a sciences officer, though. We saw Worf occasionally man those stations, and he definitely was not a science officer.
I don't recall ever seeing very many science officers on the bridge of the Enterprise-D.
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:54 PM   #49
jpv2000
Captain

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
I don't recall ever seeing very many science officers on the bridge of the Enterprise-D.
Neither did I.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 01:09 AM   #50
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I've always assumed any blueshirt we see on the bridge are science officers. One might even be the Chief Science Officer. Spock being the XO probably created a unique situation where the CSO was on the bridge a majority of the time.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 03:28 AM   #51
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I've always assumed any blueshirt we see on the bridge are science officers. One might even be the Chief Science Officer. Spock being the XO probably created a unique situation where the CSO was on the bridge a majority of the time.
I always thought Spock handled both roles. I thought he had been referred to as Science Officer Spock somewhere during the TOS run?

Or am I misreading your post? I did take a couple valium a little while ago...
Old August 31 2013, 04:29 AM   #52
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I always thought Spock handled both roles. I thought he had been referred to as Science Officer Spock somewhere during the TOS run?

Or am I misreading your post? I did take a couple valium a little while ago...
Yeah you are. To be clear: Spock being XO and CSO probably isn't standard operating procedure. The only reason he manned the Science station so often was he was on the Bridge as XO. My feeling is on most ships the CSO is down in the labs and a junior officer mans the Science station on the Bridge.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 31 2013, 04:49 AM   #53
Warped9
Admiral

I'm pretty sure Spock was referred to as Science Officer at least on one or two occasions in TOS.

Last edited by Warped9; August 31 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 04:58 AM   #54
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yes, he is Science Officer. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.
Old August 31 2013, 02:58 PM   #55
Forbin
Admiral

Barbara Baine was quite a stunner in her youth.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 03:09 PM   #56
Warped9
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Barbara Baine was quite a stunner in her youth.
No kidding. I'm presently rewatching Mission: Impossible and I'm just a couple of episodes into Season 2. Yeah, she was a looker. It's amusing to see so many smoking in the shows including the women and yet I can see how if someone smoked enough (and maybe drank as well) it could take its toll on one's looks.

Not to get too far off topic, but rewatching this show re-affirms to me how smart it was to get Peter Graves replacing Steven Hill. Graves just had more screen presence, likability and range while Hill seemed rather stiff. It's somewhat analogous to Star Trek replacing Jeffery Hunter with William Shatner. Graves, like Shatner, brought more vitality to the screen. I also find some interesting parallels/connections with Star Trek. Just as Star Trek was out to do science fiction straight so was Mission: Impossible out to do the spy genre in similar fashion. They were two very smart shows (coming out of the same studio, Desilu) at the same time. And both executive producers---Gene Roddenberry and Bruce Geller---gave their respective higher-ups headaches. Also listening to the music it often sounds like some of the same people were writing music for both series and perhaps using the same orchestra. One thing you can't escape noticing is how many guest characters appeared on both shows---this was not happenstance. The casting guy hired at Desilu found a way to save money by offering many of the guest actors a package deal for them to appear on two or three episodes for a set fee rather than be paid by a per episode basis. This meant that they could appear on either Star Trek and/or Mission: Impossible in short order. This gave the actors added exposure while allowing to Desilu to save some money.
Old September 1 2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Forbin
Admiral

Re the smoking - despite being awed by Baine's beauty in early eps, I was also occasionally repulsed when she blew whopping great billows of smoke thru her nostrils. And one can't help but notice how stained her teeth were when she smiled.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 03:52 PM   #58
Warped9
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Re the smoking - despite being awed by Baine's beauty in early eps, I was also occasionally repulsed when she blew whopping great billows of smoke thru her nostrils. And one can't help but notice how stained her teeth were when she smiled.
Yeah, watching M:I now on DVD on a 55in. screen some things jump out at you. As for Bain's smoking, hell, seems everyone smoked back then and no one would have paid attention to it. Today, though, it seems just so weird.

One shtick in M:I is all the affected faux accents particularly Eastern European or South American. Just watched the 2nd Season two-parter episode "The Slave" about the slave trade in a predominantly Muslim fictitious Middle East country. Man, I doubt you'd see anyone try doing that kind of episode today.
Old September 2 2013, 08:49 AM   #59
CrazyMatt
Commander

Spock being XO and CSO probably isn't standard operating procedure. The only reason he manned the Science station so often was he was on the Bridge as XO. My feeling is on most ships the CSO is down in the labs and a junior officer mans the Science station on the Bridge.
Not so sure about that. Note that their isn't a seat on the bridge for an XO to sit... so it stands to reason that some bridge officer--senior helmsman, senior navigator, science officer, etc. also doubles as the XO.
Old September 2 2013, 06:12 PM   #60
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Spock being XO and CSO probably isn't standard operating procedure. The only reason he manned the Science station so often was he was on the Bridge as XO. My feeling is on most ships the CSO is down in the labs and a junior officer mans the Science station on the Bridge.
Not so sure about that. Note that their isn't a seat on the bridge for an XO to sit... so it stands to reason that some bridge officer--senior helmsman, senior navigator, science officer, etc. also doubles as the XO.
Wouldn't need to be a seat for the XO on the bridge. If an XO is doing his job, he's going to be elsewhere the majority of the time. And he'd use the command chair when it was his turn to stand watch on the bridge.