Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 21 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Has "NCC" Ever Been Explained On Screen?

We've heard the "USS," as in USS Enterprise, explained on screen on more than one occasion as "united space ship" or "united starship." Has any character in actual on-screen dialogue, or in an on-screen written reference such as computer display, explained what "NCC" stands for in Starfleet context? Offhand, I can't think of any such reference.

Of course, we know that in real life, "NC" was used in the prefixes of airplane numbers that Matt Jeffries and Gene Roddenberry were familiar with from the military, and that Jeffries simply added an additional "C." But has there ever been an in-universe explanation?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Push The Button
Captain

Re: Has "NCC" Ever Been Explained On Screen?

CoveTom wrote: View Post
We've heard the "USS," as in USS Enterprise, explained on screen on more than one occasion as "united space ship" or "united starship." Has any character in actual on-screen dialogue, or in an on-screen written reference such as computer display, explained what "NCC" stands for in Starfleet context? Offhand, I can't think of any such reference.

Of course, we know that in real life, "NC" was used in the prefixes of airplane numbers that Matt Jeffries and Gene Roddenberry were familiar with from the military, and that Jeffries simply added an additional "C." But has there ever been an in-universe explanation?
There are plenty of real-world explanations floating around, I'm not sure if any of them are true.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Nope. Never explained onscreen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

No, although it seems obvious NCC represents the standard registry code, given most Starfleet starships use it with the rare exception of NX for experimental and NAR for civilian ships. But no, it's never been explained what these letters mean. For more information, click here.
Old August 21 2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Lance
Commodore

Never explained on-screen. A popular theory is that NCC stands for "Naval Commissioning Code", a theory which was given some lip service by one of the writers on the commentary track of the 2009 movie. But it's never been stated or shown in an actual episode or movie (as far as I'm aware).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 06:49 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

According to the original 1975 Star Fleet Technical Manual and USS Enterprise Booklet of General Plans by Franz Joseph Schnaubelt, it stands for "Naval Construction Contract". This also cropped up in the novel Dreadnought! by Diane Carey.

But if you wanna go strictly by TV/film Trek, then: No.
Old August 21 2013, 07:26 PM   #7
yenny
Captain

NCC stands for Nuclear Cosmological Craft.

Cosmology means; The study of the formation and nature of the universe.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Lance wrote: View Post
A popular theory is that NCC stands for "Naval Commissioning Code", a theory which was given some lip service by one of the writers on the commentary track of the 2009 movie. But it's never been stated or shown in an actual episode or movie (as far as I'm aware).
I've heard "Naval Construction Contract" for decades, and I've occasionally heard "Navigational Contact Code" as an alternative. I don't think I've ever heard "Naval Commissioning Code" before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 08:03 PM   #9
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Here are the various registry variants I've collected over the years. A couple have appeared on-screen, but most are fan-made:
  • NCC ------- Naval Construction Contract
  • NCC-FXXXX - Naval Construction Contract/Freighter-Tender
  • NCC-SXXXX - Naval Construction Contract/Support Vessel
  • NCC-GXXXX - Naval Construction Contract/General Use
  • NX -------- Naval Experiment
  • NCO ------- Naval Construction Order (For Alternate-Federation Vessels)
  • NDT ------- Naval Detached Transport
  • NSP ------- Naval Science Program
  • NSX ------- Naval SpecialOps Experiment
  • SNC ------- Shi'ar Naval Contract
  • Q --------- Intelligence "Q-Ship"
  • C --------- Contract # (For pre-Federation Vessels)
  • DT -------- Designated Tactical Vessel
  • FCC ------- Fleet Command Crusier
  • FF -------- Frigate Flagship/Fast Frigate
  • FR -------- Freighter (For pre-Federation Vessels)
  • L --------- Luxury/Civilian
  • G --------- General Use
  • SFDD ------ Starfleet Drydock
  • TP -------- Travel Pod Registry
  • NAR ------- Naval Auxiliary Resource/Research
  • NAK ------- Naval Auxiliary Resource - Merchant Marine/Logistics
  • NFT ------- Non-Federation Transport
  • NGL ------- Non-Starfleet General-Purpose Liner
Old August 21 2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

In light of the prefix variants that are canonically witnessed, it would seem that the N in them might stand for "Federation". That is, NFT, NGL, NAR, NSP and NCC are all witnessed in connection with Federation vessels, and that's about the only thing in common between them.

It would then appear to follow that "CC" means "Starfleet active service" and "X" means "experimental or prototype"; the other letters don't have such systematic or clear-cut correlation to any observable characteristic...

Two other apparent registry prefixes are BTR for a colony ship in DS9 "Paradise", and YLT for an Yridian craft in "Birthright". The former hauled Federation colonists, but that need not invalidate the "N = Federation" model as such - after all, the latter hauled a Klingon Starfleet officer holding Federation citizenship!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

I've imagined NCC to be "New Construction Code" to distinguish it from the more maritime sounding "Naval."
PhoenixClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

NCC = No Canon Connotation
Old August 23 2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
Never explained on-screen. A popular theory is that NCC stands for "Naval Commissioning Code", a theory which was given some lip service by one of the writers on the commentary track of the 2009 movie.
I recall they said it was "Navy Civil Catalogue". It flows well with what The Star Trek Encyclopedia says about it: "N" is for Navy, and "C" means "Civil"--that is, non-military.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Which edition of the Encyclopedia was that?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 06:14 AM   #15
t_smitts
Commander

I've of the opinion that the letters don't actually STAND for anything, as is the case with postal codes (the Canadian equivalent of zip codes, for those who don't know).

Now Star Trek hasn't been 100% consistent on this, but my assumption is this:

NCC = Operational Starfleet vessel.

NX = Experimental Starfleet vessel prototype not yet cleared for active service. Homage to the NX-class ships that served in the mid-22nd Century.

NAR = Non-Starfleet Federation vessel. (Unclear if this is used government vessels, civilian vessels, or both). It may only apply to vessels operated by humans, since non-Starfleet Vulcan ships like the T'Pau had a registry that began with NSP. (Perhaps there's a different registry for vessels operated by each member race, i.e. Andorians, Tellarites, Betazoids, etc.)

Not sure we'll ever get a sensible explanation of what the USS is. Yes, I know they may have said "United Space Ship" or "United Star Ship" at some point, but what exactly is united about it? Like the concept of no money and of synthehol, it may be best not to look at that too closely.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote