RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,659
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 428
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 21 2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode 8, "Miri"

Grant wrote: View Post
So you are trying to say there was a whole nother thread about that aspect of episode 8?
Maybe he's suggesting posters should search the entire board before posting a new thread, even if that thread is years old. I usually just check to make sure it's not listed within an individual section's 2 or 3 pages of recent threads.
Old August 21 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Grant
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
So you are trying to say there was a whole nother thread about that aspect of episode 8?
Maybe he's suggesting posters should search the entire board before posting a new thread, even if that thread is years old. I usually just check to make sure it's not listed within an individual section's 2 or 3 pages of recent threads.
Yeah, i just take my chances. I post a new thread and if there is a similar recent thread I just expect someone will poke me and say so.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
. . .A bit of trivia for you: The scene in the picture I have posted on Miri's planet is actually the set from The Andy Griffith Show. . .
It's also in "City on the Edge of Forever" (Kirk and Edith walk past Floyd's Barber Shop), "Return of the Archons", and others. That's the famous "40 Acres" backlot, with several buildings constructed for Gone with the Wind.

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres.html
Hogan's Heroes and Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. were filmed there in the '60s too. Sadly, the 40 Acres back lot was sold and has been an office industrial park for three decades. It suffered the same fate as the M.G.M. back lot back in the '70s.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Nine of Four
Commander

Grant wrote:
May I ask when we will get a thread about episode 9--which has always been one of my most fondly remembered episodes?
It has always been one of my favorites as well.

-

Last edited by Nine of Four; August 21 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Galileo7 wrote:
Hogan's Heroes and Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. were filmed there in the '60s too. Sadly, the 40 Acres back lot was sold and has been an office industrial park for three decades. It suffered the same fate as the M.G.M. back lot back in the '70s.
That link I posted to the backlot shows aerial views of Hogan's Stalag 13 and Gomer's Marine barracks.

I do miss backlots; I've only visited Universal City (in 1967, before it became an amusement park), Old Tucson Studios (before the big fire in the 90s), and a small independent backlot near me run by a stuntman (Ron Nix).

Last edited by Melakon; August 21 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Ron Nix is still active in films
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Nine of Four
Commander

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
It is indeed upsetting that these lots have been turned into office buildings.

-
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 12:54 AM   #22
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

The thing about The Andy Griffith Show was that they framed their outdoor shots strictly to show only the first floor of every building. It made Mayberry seem like a smaller town, a place with no tall buildings. Then on Star Trek you get these high angles revealing the whole structures, and it looks like a different place. Only the most observant Andy fans sat up and said "That's Mayberry."
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:20 AM   #23
SiddFinch1
Commander

Blame the preservers......lol
Old August 22 2013, 02:27 AM   #24
Push The Button
Captain

Galileo7 wrote: View Post

Those aerial pictures were great, and it was amazing to see just how little of the Stalag 13 and Camp Henderson sets actually existed in real life, as these places always seemed to be much larger onscreen.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 03:30 AM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Nine of Four wrote: View Post
Kirk even says, "Not the Earth, another Earth........ Another Earth?". Yet that is never explained.

-
Nor is it ever mentioned again. The whole "duplicate Earth" thing was just a cheap hook to get viewers to stay tuned and watch the episode.
I like James Blish's adaptation which had the planet as actually a colony of human isolationists that dabbled in genetics gone horribly wrong. No mention of the planet being a duplicate Earth.
Old August 22 2013, 04:37 AM   #26
Control Voice
Ensign

This episode inspired my very first fan story.

One line.

"Flint, let me introduce you to a friend of mine, Miri."
Control Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 03:00 PM   #27
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, i just take my chances. I post a new thread and if there is a similar recent thread I just expect someone will poke me and say so.
No, I just recalled a thread with the same theme and pulled up that one for people to read. There was also another one last year at http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=158704&page=4
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:42 PM   #28
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Since we're not supposed to revive years old threads anyway, your approach makes the most sense.