Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 22 2013, 07:59 PM   #31
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Along those lines, for the first time I don't live a short drive from a state border. Probably since I grew up/lived in the small states of the northeast.

Canada is 50 miles away, while the closest state, Montana, is 3 hours with a nice tailwind. Hell, the closest major city to me is Winnipeg and the nearest interstate is 110 miles away.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 08:29 PM   #32
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ So what you're saying is you need to update your location in your profile.
Old August 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #33
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's a tad out of date!
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 09:10 PM   #34
Kenbushway
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Have your parents visited Macedonia?
No the flight is like 30 hours and the plan ticket is $2000 for round trip. We only have enough money for the one moving trip.
Old August 22 2013, 09:12 PM   #35
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?
Not for nothing, but if you're 21 now and we're talking about a move a year from now, why are you automatically assuming you should move from the only home you're ever known?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Kestra wrote: View Post
I wonder how long it will be before that stops becoming a thing, and people identify as American without the European ancestry. I don't know if it's a matter of becoming completely removed from the culture throughout many layers of generations, or that "American" needs to become a sufficient identity on the same level as Italian, German, etc.
It's a regional thing more than anything else. Polls find that most southerners say they're "American" as opposed to Scottish (most likely) or English, etc.

I don't know if it will completely go away (the Irish are from 1840s, after all).
Old August 22 2013, 09:53 PM   #37
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

I'm a military brat, therefore "from" nowhere. I was born in England, lived in New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina, Nebraska and Puerto Rico all before I was 10 years old.
Old August 22 2013, 09:58 PM   #38
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

A little bit of advice for what it's worth.

I'm Bosnian (though been living in Germany since i was 3) and i know my Balkans well enough.

Your move is highly unusual.. i'm guessing by Georgia you mean the southern US state and not the Republic of Georgia, ex Soviet Union state.

That being said.. you are making a huge mistake in my view. Apparently you haven't done some real homework much less visited the place where you plan to move to. Let me tell you that the cultural shock may knock you off your feet.. Macedonia is vastly different from the US. Hell, if you went to Germany, France, Britain the cultural shock would be far less.

But ex Balkan states like Macedonia are 2nd world, maybe even 3rd world countries with huge problems and you are not well prepared for this move.

How good is that contact of yours with whom you, i.e. your dad wants to start up a business? Do you have a financial cushion to make it over the first few months (doesn't sound like it when you don't even have the money for a return ticket).

Then come the practicalities like business licenses, housing and all the other million little things you need to live and you don't even seem to speak the local language (English won't get you that far especially if you deal with normal, local people).

So think real hard and twice why you want to do this.. to me it sounds like those people from a current popular TV show here in Germany that follows them when they leave Germany to start a live elsewhere with a dream but next to no preparation and reserves. They usually have to quit a few months later and return to Germany (after having quit their jobs and sold off everything in Germany).
Old August 23 2013, 01:04 AM   #39
iguana_tonante
Admiral

How should I approach people? What kind of unusual (beyond shaking hands or waving hello) greetings could there be (I.E hugging strangers. Any different (than practiced in America) customs that I should definitely pay attention to?
Are you really sure this is your main concern about this move?

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I never even heard of Macedonia until now.

Probably analogous to someone from Europe not being able to ramble off all 50 states.
But we sure have heard of them all.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well the eurozone is different from the EU, and it's little surprise that some eurzone countries are more adversly affected by the economic downturn than others. As the one size fits all rates don't work. Unfortunatly what can happen is those ill will can raise in countries that are paying for the bailout of other countries .
Well, I don't think this is the best place to discuss EU politics and the Eurozone. I'll just say that the issue is complicated, and while there are both pros and cons to the monetary union, I still support it.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
That being said.. you are making a huge mistake in my view. Apparently you haven't done some real homework much less visited the place where you plan to move to. Let me tell you that the cultural shock may knock you off your feet.. Macedonia is vastly different from the US. Hell, if you went to Germany, France, Britain the cultural shock would be far less.

But ex Balkan states like Macedonia are 2nd world, maybe even 3rd world countries with huge problems and you are not well prepared for this move.

How good is that contact of yours with whom you, i.e. your dad wants to start up a business? Do you have a financial cushion to make it over the first few months (doesn't sound like it when you don't even have the money for a return ticket).

Then come the practicalities like business licenses, housing and all the other million little things you need to live and you don't even seem to speak the local language (English won't get you that far especially if you deal with normal, local people).

So think real hard and twice why you want to do this..
This.
Old August 23 2013, 01:26 AM   #40
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

teacake wrote: View Post
Have your parents visited Macedonia?
No the flight is like 30 hours and the plan ticket is $2000 for round trip. We only have enough money for the one moving trip.
That would be a very foolish thing to do, particularly if they have never had a huge cultural adjustment in their lives before this.

Are your parents adventurous with a love of trying new things? Have they been to other countries already?

You talked at one point about your parents having trouble trying and liking healthier food that you cooked them. How are they going to go when they get somewhere and literally none of the american instant processed stuff is available, when the entire diet is different? I hear this all the time in Australia where ex-pat americans express shock at how you can't buy packet mixes for everything they are used to eating, and how the brands they are emotionally loyal to (without even realizing it) are non-existent. I've had a lot to do with expat communities in the past and people can find it very hard to adjust and that's with the language being the same. It's not just about food either.

Making a plan to move there for say, two years, with options to return would be good. Saying "one way ticket" is just foolish. If you haven't got the money to VISIT Macedonia to see if you want to live there than frankly you don't have the money to move there. You're either paying a shitload to ship everything over or you are re-buying your whole life.

Don't burn your bridges, if you own a house rent it out at least so you have something to return to.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 01:49 AM   #41
Kestra
Vice Admiral

It also shouldn't take you 30 hours to get there, even with stops.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #42
Mooch
Fleet Captain

This seems like the worst idea ever. Are you sure this "friend" isn't just trying to steal all your money?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:27 AM   #43
smiki
Captain

As someone from Serbia (born here and lived here all my life), a country right next door to Macedonia, and on a roughly comparable level to Macedonia albeit a fair bit better, I also don't really recommend this move, to be frank with you. And this isn't even only because of Macedonia/the Balkans in particular.

You're essentially planing to move half across the planet, without any kind of backup plan or proper safety funds, prior experience with such huge changes nor prior first hand knowledge of the destination or knowing the local language. It sounds kinda like a risky move and what for? Your primal motivation is kinda flawed. It's economic and Macedonia's economy is far worse than the USA's. Yeah, you could probably "swap" your US house for a bigger one in Macedonia or use that extra money to invest in your business but after that starting money runs out you're essentially stuck in Macedonia and its lousy economy and foreign culture. I don't really see the benefit. Unless you're the adventurous type.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a 3rd world country, but dependent on your expectations, it could definitely end up feeling like one.

I mean, in some ways it's even better than the US, for example the violent crime rate/homicide rate per capita is lower than the US average, and definitely lower, roughly 3-4 times than in Georgia, your state (which then again doesn't really mean much ), and the corruption perception is roughly the same as in Italy (not really a role model in that regard to be honest though ), but at the same time look at the GDP per capita (adjusted for the cost of living i.e. purchasing power - PPP). Not what you're used to.

And as a rough estimate of the level of development of the country look at the HDI index - adjusted for inequality (life expectancy, education, income) Not bad, but not great.

I mean, it's Europe, with all its europeness and what not. It's not Somalia. Better than all of Asia, Africa, South and Central America, together in the group with N. America, Austr/NZ and Europe. Just... among the poorest Europe has to offer.

And let me put it like this. Most people here from the Balkans are trying to move abroad to Canada or Sweden or whatever. You're the rare opposite case. Just seems illogical. If you planed it out well, and had an option to return to the US easily if you don't end up liking it, a secure "return ticket", then yeah sure, a bit of an adventure, it won't kill you. But I don't get the impression it's that way.

Last edited by smiki; August 23 2013 at 06:06 PM.
smiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:32 AM   #44
RoJoHen
Awesome

So why do you need to move with your family? Didn't you just start going to school? What exactly is the benefit for you making this move? All in all this just sounds like a really, really bizarre plan.
Old August 23 2013, 06:57 AM   #45
Kenbushway
Captain

We are saving up extra money besides the round trip tickets so that if all fails we can return, our house will still be here, and my dad's friend is reliable. Many of the things above are good points but we are actively working on them. We are not believing it will be easy, we know it will be rough and that failure is not impossible. I am 3 classes away from finished, then I will have an automotive technology diploma (Equals to certification in brakes, Steering & suspension, electrical, heating and cooling, transmissions; engine repair and performance doesn't have a certificate program attached). My skills could be quite useful. We are well aware of the economic depressions that are hitting the country of Macedonia. I've actually successfully gotten my parents to eat more of my meals and we understand that simply going to store for Hamburger helper isn't going to be an option. I am moving with my family to help them with their business and in also hopes to run some myself in the future. This move hasn't been planned for just 3 months and then thrown into motion. We learned a great deal and we looked at other countries (Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Malta, Uruguay) but certain clean personal record requirements prevented us from being able to try some of those countries.