Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 29 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

For fans eagerly awaiting the Star Trek into Darkness Blu-ray release, a lack of bonus content might make them unhappy. It’s not that there is a lack of extras, but that getting all of the extras would require many different purchases of the same product from different retailers. The Digital Bits’ Bill Hunt laid out [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

From the OP article:

It seems that this strategy is not a very good way to treat fans and may well alienate them.
Word.

Of course, in order to demonstrate alienation, it is necessary for fans to boycott the Blu-ray in sufficient numbers. If they don't, if consumers just say, "Oh, I'll get the Blu-ray anyway, but skip the bonuses," then the bonus releases would just be gravy for the studio. From Paramount's perspective, they'd be right in marketing it this way, because not only would they not lose a penny on the regular sales, but they'd have the icing of the bonus sales.
Old August 29 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
geneo
Lieutenant

Very sad. Paramount should have created the correct blu ray with everything on it and sold it itself, forget about all that extra stuff put on different store's versions. Another unwise Paramount move.

If enough people protest maybe Paramount will do another release with everything on it.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

You know, I saw this headline and thought it was something to do with the video mastering, the discs being defective, or some such.

But it's just more complaining about the extras.
Old August 30 2013, 01:05 AM   #5
GNDN
Commodore

Amazon pre-order -- CANCELLED
Old August 30 2013, 03:26 AM   #6
Sparky
Commodore

Very stupid move by Paramount. All is does is confuse people and piss them off. I wouldn't care if they had a vanilla release and a special edition with *all* of the bonus content included. I would be more than willing to shell out a few extra bucks for the deluxe edition. In this situation it's simply not possible to own all of the extra content without purchasing 5 or 6 different copies of the movie in various formats. Paramount has created a situation where I am going to have no moral qualms about hitting up file sharing sites to grab the bonus content.
Old August 30 2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Sparky
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
You know, I saw this headline and thought it was something to do with the video mastering, the discs being defective, or some such.

But it's just more complaining about the extras.
I don't see it as complaining. I see it as a very valid concern with how Paramount is marketing and selling this movie. The one that really bothers me is the commentary. I love commentaries, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 25 dollars for a crappy iTunes quality copy of the movie just to get an audio commentary. I'll rip the movie to my hard drive, download the commentary and Mux it in. Then I can watch the movie with commentary in full BD quality on my TV. I'll buy the Blu-Ray, but it looks like I'm going to pirate the extras left off the disc.
Old August 30 2013, 05:31 AM   #8
NuFan
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think I have ever watched the bonus features in any movie. I do listen to the commentary on some of them, but only once.
NuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 06:13 AM   #9
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

The bummer for me is the lack of commentary on the blu-ray. I'd enjoy that. The whole retailer exclusive trend is getting more and more silly and ridiculous. Hope Paramount reigns it in.

They're not going to make anything on those exclusives, because they're now much more likely to make their way to YouTube.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Mage
Fleet Captain

Do I care? Not really, it's about the movie for me, extra's are just that.
But do I understand the frustration of people that DO care about such things a lot? Actually, yes I do. Paramount is really being a dick about this.
Old August 30 2013, 07:25 AM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I actually see this as the way things will be done in general. You're going to see more and more things released by the various studios with bonus material being as individual retailer exclusives.

Forget double-dipping--they want triple- and quadruple-dipping from people that just got to have it all.
Old August 30 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greed. They do it with games as well. Want all the content? Buy three editions!
And the sheep are stupid enough to do it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Sparky
Commodore

They had better prepare for pirating. Pirating has a couple advantages, it's free and easy. How do you compete against free and easy? By offering content that is better quality than free and easy can provide. The Blu-Ray should be the gold standard. Instead we get broken up shit that will be pirated.
Old August 30 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
trekker670
Captain

Even with pirating though, it's kind of rare to find the movie packaged with the special features, typically you just get the movie itself. Hopefully this will be an exception though.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
bbailey861
Admiral

I just cancelled my Amazon Special Edition preorder. It's about the only way I can voice my displeasure.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote