Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 5 2013, 04:49 AM   #1
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

When [Spoiler] yelled "[Spoiler!]" was that suposed to be [Spoiler]?

Now that that is out of the way: When Spock yelled "KHAN!" was that supposed to be funny?

Because during the first (and last) time I watched Into Darkness, I laughed. And I wasn't the only one in the theater that night who did.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:21 AM   #2
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Re: When [Spoiler] yelled "[Spoiler!]" was that suposed to be [Spoiler

MrJ wrote: View Post
Now that that is out of the way: When Spock yelled "KHAN!" was that supposed to be funny?

Because during the first (and last) time I watched Into Darkness, I laughed. And I wasn't the only one in the theater that night who did.
I liked most of the movie, but my reaction was embarrassment. I went into cognitive dissonant shock at that moment. No matter what they were going for - I guess anything's possible - I was there with my family and I was, at that point, embarrassed for first time in my recollection to be a Trekkie. They used one of the biggest internet Trek memes known to the public at large, that makes Shatner so laughworthy, in a dramatic moment. Double face palm. And I was embarrassed on behalf of Zachary Quinto for having been forced to do Shatner's schtick.

In fact, the literal references to The Wrath of Kahn, while kinda cool as a Trekkie, completely wiped away all of the emotional impact from Star Trek Into Darkness that I felt at the end of TWOK. I guess the humor comes from laughing AT the writers for thinking they could even think it was dramatic? That moment kinda turned it into Space Balls. Or was it Galaxy Quest?
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

You are not alone. I laugh every time I hear Quinto yell KHAAAAAAN! I just can't take the scene seriously.
AllStarEntprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Yes.
Old September 5 2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I laughed both times I watched this movie. The first time the theater was like all trekkies and we all laughed. The second time it was pretty much all clueless teenagers who are like whatever and I was the only one who laughed and people were like, huh? I just can't handle it nor take it seriously.
Old September 5 2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Yes.
I don't think so. I think it really WAS supposed to be dramatic, but all it got out of me the first time I saw it was a light giggle. Two seconds later I thought "wait, they didn't just actually do this ... d'oh".

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
but my reaction was embarrassment
I still can't watch this scene without my face blushing by embarrasment.
Old September 5 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
serenitytrek1
Commander

I guess we can all agree that the Khan scream sucked. It wasn't even very Vulanish. It also didn't even make sense, This is the same Spock that had an emotionless face when his mum died and his whole planet got destroyed.

We didn't see Spock scream NEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I would have loved to see Spock keeping his cool after Kirk's death with an undeniable pain and sadness on his face, only for him to then go and take down Khan.

Next time the writers need to leave all the crying and screaming to people like Scotty, Bones and Uhura.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Yes.
I don't think so. I think it really WAS supposed to be dramatic, but all it got out of me the first time I saw it was a light giggle. Two seconds later I thought "wait, they didn't just actually do this ... d'oh".
Humor. It is a difficult concept. It is not logical.
Old September 5 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Tiberius
Commodore

Ruined the whole movie, and it wasn't that good to begin with.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I had no issues with it at all. I found it more effective than in the original, actually, as it fit with the overall character arc of Spock in the two films, whereas it was more of an isolated moment in TWOK. YMMV

And at both viewings (packed houses each time) I attended, no one laughed.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I didn't laugh, but I did roll my eyes. To end an emotional scene where one character dies with ...that.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:16 PM   #12
22 Stars
Commodore

A few people laughed in every screening I attended. I did notice that it was a stricktly generational thing. Only people over the age of 30 laughed, and the younger fans clearly didn't understand why.

I have to say I have become disallusioned with the writers of the film, esp. Orci. His recent rant over at TrekMovie really makes me think less of him, as a writer and a person. Not graciously taking criticism (from whatever the source) is not a good trait, especially someone subject to public criticism.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Mario de Monti
Captain

The thing is, that Trek movies aren´t made for the hardcore fans but for the broad public. I´m sure a lot of those who went to see STID never saw TWOK, which is more than 30 years old now. They will probably not have noted the "KHAAAAAAN!!" yell as particularly odd or out of character for Spock (who did lose his temper in the previous movie, too).

I have only seen STID once so far, and without knowing anything about it beforehand (yes, that is still possible in today´s world ), and I neither rolled my eyes at that particular scene, nor at the fact that the entire movie was an alternate take on TWOK. In fact, because of that "remake character" of the whole movie, which is so very obvious to any Trek fan, I actually smiled at that scene and took it as a tip-of-the-hat to TWOK.

Mario
Old September 5 2013, 04:52 PM   #14
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I´m sure a lot of those who went to see STID never saw TWOK, which is more than 30 years old now. They will probably not have noted the "KHAAAAAAN!!" yell as particularly odd or out of character for Spock (who did lose his temper in the previous movie, too).
But the scream has become comical in the mainstream. Family Guy routinely makes fun of it. It's appeared elsewhere in a similar vein. So, those people who haven't see TWOK will wonder why they would throw in a decidedly kitsch scene in an otherwise somber moment.

As others here have said, I also wince when I see Quinto's scream. It's out of character and destroys the scene. What would have made the scene MUCH more effective and continuous would have been for Spock to visibly wrestle with his emotions, grit his teeth, and mutter "Khan....!" under his breath. After that, he storms off to the bridge. That would have showed greater character complexity, because he isn't filled with out-of-control rage for revenge. Instead, it shows that he's using his cold, calculated logic to channel his emotions into a good, old fashioned, ass-whooping on the surface. He becomes much more frightening and menacing that way, because he has to become Khan to defeat Khan.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:57 PM   #15
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I did not like Quinto's delivery of the scream but no, I didn't laugh.
And it ruined nothing, it's 2 seconds in a 2 hour movie.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote