New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 19 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Sneezing Etiquette

When I was growing up, I was always told to cover my mouth whenever coughing or sneezing. Maybe that was just part of the Asian culture I grew up in, but it made sense to me from a health standpoint. So every time I sneeze, I either quickly reach for my handkerchief or turn away.

Almost everyone at work (or anywhere else, for that matter) sneezes out in the open. For instance, my next-door work buddy "Dick" gets nasal allergies, as do a lot of people in my office. He sneezes in his cube three to four times in a row. We even have an employee, "Teri," who's notorious for her bouts of cluster sneezes, and they're the weirdest and funniest sounds one could hear in the office. We even had an employee who's now retired who made sure everyone in the office heard her sneeze. During cold and flu season, it bothers me when Dick sneezes without covering his mouth. That is a surefire way to spread germs around.

How do you deal with your or other people's sneezing? Do you cover your mouth if possible? Are you bothered when others don't? What say you?
Old August 19 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Sneezing Etiquette

When in public, I am usually able to get my hand to my mouth to cover if I sense a sneeze coming. Sometimes I miss. At home by myself though, I'm not always as diligent unless I'm preparing something to eat.

Am I bothered when others don't? No, I just think they're ignorant fools.

I sometimes debate whether to say "Bless you!" or "Gesundheit!" or anything at all when passing a stranger who suddenly sneezes.
Old August 19 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Relayer1
Commodore

It's good manners and good for other peoples health - if you don't cover your mouth you're an oaf and should be told.

If it's a work situation management should step up and circulate a memo to every employee.
Old August 19 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think the accepted practice now is to sneeze into the crook of your arm so as not to contaminate your hands and anything you might touch afterwards.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Kestra
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I think the accepted practice now is to sneeze into the crook of your arm so as not to contaminate your hands and anything you might touch afterwards.
Yeah, sneezing into your hand is still useless if you don't wash your hands right after. And gross.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yes, I started doing that some years ago. I forget how it was suggested to me, but now it's habit.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:42 PM   #7
_C_
Commander

As someone who sings in a choir and my voice is dependent on my health, I DO get pissed off if people sneeze around me without covering it in some way. Ninety percent of the time I don't catch whatever got sneezed out....unless I have a church event with a lot of singing. Then I catch every fraggin' bug just by looking at a sick person.

I cover my sneezes with the crook of my arm. I carry hand sanitizer in case I accidentally sneeze on my hands anyway. I know it's not a substitute for washing my hands, but it does the trick until I can.

You know what's really ironic? Colds are the most contagious right before you start showing symptoms. What a sneaky little bastard of a virus.
Old August 19 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it's not uncommon for virus to have an incubation period were you could be infectious but not showing any symptoms of a disease.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:47 PM   #9
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've learned a new way of Sneezing etiquette is to cover your entire face with your arm. Not sure if other people do this (I admit I don't) but it seems like that's the easier way to not spread germs. I just look away or look down. Just as long as I don't look at a person and sneeze on them, which would be rude and disgusting.
Old August 19 2013, 07:48 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

I typically sneeze into my elbow pit, especially if I'm at work.
Old August 19 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yes, I started doing that some years ago. I forget how it was suggested to me, but now it's habit.
Exactly right... We deal with this all the time with wildfires... We are encouraged to cough into the crooks of our arms to prevent the spread of "camp crud" to our fellow fire staff... You get a fire camp with 1,000 people and sickness can spread like, well, wildfire... There is always a lot of handshaking going on, so this is looked at one way to keep it from going around...
Old August 19 2013, 08:02 PM   #12
bbailey861
Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Exactly right... We deal with this all the time with wildfires... We are encouraged to cough into the crooks of our arms to prevent the spread of "camp crud" to our fellow fire staff... You get a fire camp with 1,000 people and sickness can spread like, well, wildfire... There is always a lot of handshaking going on, so this is looked at one way to keep it from going around...
Also agreeing. It's been accepted practice for a few years now.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Stoo
Captain

I contort myself into an unusual Yoga position and sneeze into the back of my knee.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I mentioned hand covering earlier, but it's often more like sneezing into the arm. I'm very wary being around small children who have colds, as I've never had mumps.
Old August 19 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I mentioned hand covering earlier, but it's often more like sneezing into the arm. I'm very wary being around small children who have colds, as I've never had mumps.
You've not been vaccinated?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote