Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 22 2013, 02:33 AM   #91
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: The Reality of Star Trek

I don't always discuss religion; but when I do, I convert them to Iguanism.
Old August 22 2013, 05:04 AM   #92
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
^^ Probably your raw sexual magnetism making them question things too much.
Undoubtedly that's it. Though only the panhandlers pay attention to me when I'm hobbling up the street. Never any foxy babes. Come to think of it, I've never seen a foxy babe in this neighborhood in the last seven years.

Though a couple of months ago, I was waiting for the light to change to walk across the street and some old weirdo came up to me. He started talking about the cane I walk with (which is metal). He started telling me I needed to use baby oil on the cane, and started rubbing his hand across my back.
Fortunately the light changed, so I could say "Gotta go" rather than knock his block off.
Old August 22 2013, 06:09 PM   #93
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

I like Star Trek. Anyone else?
Old August 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
I'm still undecided!
Old August 23 2013, 09:34 PM   #95
Robert Comsol
Commodore

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry (who also didn't understand the symbolic meaning of Eucharist and assumed this to be a cannibalistic ritual).
I guess you never heard of sarcasm.
How, I'm practicing it all the time when I meet people I feel to be deliberately mean.

But the one thing I don't have to guess is that it's obvious you did not know the context of that statement and were just trying to be - sarcastic

"It was Communion time where you eat this wafer and you are eating the body of Christ and drinking His blood. My first impression was "Jesus Christ! This is a bunch of cannibals they've put me down among!" For some time I puzzled over this and puzzled over why they were saying these things, because the connection between what they were saying and reality was very tenuous. How the hell did Jesus become something to be eaten?"

Star Trek Creator by David Alexander (introduction by Majel Barrett Roddenberry), page 37

Gene Roddenbery continues how this was the crucial point in his life that made it "clear" to him "that religion was largely nonsense."

Obviously symbolism was a concept completely alien to him, therefore I find this kind of hilarious misinterpretation rather sad.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:44 PM   #96
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Meh.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:48 PM   #97
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

What's Star Trek?
Old August 23 2013, 09:51 PM   #98
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Wow.... I do consider myself something of a cynic and pragmatist... but that's probably why Trek appeals to me. There's a hope for a better future.
Old August 23 2013, 09:52 PM   #99
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Gene Roddenbery continues how this was the crucial point in his life that made it "clear" to him "that religion was largely nonsense."

Obviously symbolism was a concept completely alien to him, therefore I find this kind of hilarious misinterpretation rather sad.
I think it more likely that he thoroughly understood the concept of transubstantiation.
Old August 23 2013, 09:52 PM   #100
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Enow wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
You're ignoring that Star Trek, particularly in its later forms, tells us that a Third World War (which nearly destroyed humanity), and first contact with aliens caused the people of Earth to re-evaluate their goals and they joined together to improve themselves and society.
If the first two world wars didn't do it, what makes you think a third one would? Is it the old saying, "Three time's the charm"? Then I can understand where you are coming from as far as how Star Trek Universe comes into being, but again, reality does paint a different picture.
WWI and WWII did not affect every country in the same way nor equally. For example, in the USA...there was no combat here. Sure the people served in Europe and Asia and elsewhere. But, there was no actual damage done EVERYWHERE on the planet. If THAT were to happen...and the devastation literally covered the entire planet...we'd probably HAVE to ban together to help fix it.

For example...I live right next to NYC, therefore what happened on 9/11 was a bigger deal for me and the people who live in the vicinity. Did it affect the whole country? Yes, but not as much as it affected the people who were IN the building, like my cousin...or me who could look out my window and literally SEE it.

If the Star Trek's version of WWIII is actually devastation to EVERYONE and not just a cluster of people, yeah I think it could change how people think.

And contact with aliens? We would finally realize how freakin' small we are compared to the rest of the universe.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 10:10 PM   #101
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Enow wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
You're ignoring that Star Trek, particularly in its later forms, tells us that a Third World War (which nearly destroyed humanity), and first contact with aliens caused the people of Earth to re-evaluate their goals and they joined together to improve themselves and society.
If the first two world wars didn't do it, what makes you think a third one would? Is it the old saying, "Three time's the charm"? Then I can understand where you are coming from as far as how Star Trek Universe comes into being, but again, reality does paint a different picture.

I somehow believe that in Star Trek Enterprise episode "In the Mirror Darkly, " that would be the mentality of the people of earth at that time when survival, looking out for number one, and having the upper hand in all things like power is how anyone thinks they are going to get ahead.

However, in this reality, Biblical prophesies foretells one third of the earth burning up, and that was just to serve as a catalyst for the NWO and their mark of the beast system. Survival will be all that those people will be thinking about, and yet by adapting that mentality to be united with one cause, Star Trek is still no where in the picture. But there will be a gathering of the armies of the remaining parts of the world to battle the Lord upon His return with the saints at the end of the great tribulation period. ( Which is seven years, starting when they give the command to build the Third Temple in Jerusalem. )

They are already adapting the technology for the mark of the beast system, and that is the biochip to buy and sell in Europe. The biochip is being used elsewhere for medical information like in Mexico and security purposes in companies like GPS tagging. It is not the mark of the beast system yet, until the bio chips becomes the only means to buy & sell in this NWO, thus killing off those that refuse the mark because of the Biblical warning from God that those that take the mark are destined for the lake of fire.

Maybe the Lord will have His people trekking the stars when Satan and death has been done away with forever after they have been cast into the lake of fire. There is nothing in Biblical prophesies about that, but who knows? God only knows.

It's time like these that it wouldn't hurt for fans of Star Trek to do a little research on what direction the world is going and how it is lining up with Biblical prophesies. Maybe they will look as I do in the direction higher than the heavens to Heaven above and the hope of us getting there will not be by a starship, but by the hope in the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ as it is His righteousness and His faithfulness that is bringing us there for all those that believe and put their trust in Him.

So... maybe Star Trek may happen when mankind is no longer broken and thus in no need of the Saviour, because they are saved and free to roam the universe for they will never be apart from Him.

Christians can dream after all.

Course, this is in according to my faith on how Star Trek could be, but I just don't see it happening when mankind is not perfect yet to do that trekking through the stars. Murphy's law will more likely come into play than anything else as our fallible nature will hinder us so.
Didn't fully read this until now.

Are you only disparaging the possibility of a space-faring future because you are religious? I don't care if you are...I really don't. I am just wondering if that is the real reason for your judgement?

But I am curious...if you are extremely devout...why are you drawn to watch Star Trek, which mostly abandons the possibility of an ultimate religion and God (unless you consider Q to be godlike).

Just curious. I don't mean any insult.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old August 23 2013, 10:12 PM   #102
iguana_tonante
Admiral

But the one thing I don't have to guess is that it's obvious you did not know the context of that statement and were just trying to be - sarcastic

"It was Communion time where you eat this wafer and you are eating the body of Christ and drinking His blood. My first impression was "Jesus Christ! This is a bunch of cannibals they've put me down among!" For some time I puzzled over this and puzzled over why they were saying these things, because the connection between what they were saying and reality was very tenuous. How the hell did Jesus become something to be eaten?"

Star Trek Creator by David Alexander (introduction by Majel Barrett Roddenberry), page 37

Bob
Actually, a whole bunch of denominations do believe it actually becomes the body of Christ, while retaining all the physical characteristic of bread. Catholic and Orthodox Churches, for example.

It's quite obvious Roddenberry was speaking sarcastically: he didn't actually believe there were eating the body of a man, he just highlighted the absurdity of such fantastic claims without any evidences, and that was one of the things that pushed him to realize that "religions were largely nonsense".

What is rather hilarious is that you completely missed his point, and went on ranting about how he missed the point.
Old August 23 2013, 10:32 PM   #103
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I wonder why the OP has been avoiding this thread for the last 4 days. It starts out as a Star Trek question, and the religion crap didn't show up until his second appearance.
Old August 23 2013, 10:44 PM   #104
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

^^The first post contained text about religion though.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old August 23 2013, 10:57 PM   #105
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
^^The first post contained text about religion though.
Not specific religions. His first reply to someone was the first post in the thread to introduce words like Biblical, God, Lord, and later in the thread Jesus Christ is presented. And not as profanity. It was becoming a sermon.