RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,381
Posts: 5,357,155
Members: 24,628
Currently online: 473
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 20 2013, 12:46 AM   #31
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post

Let's stick to the topic, okay?
The topic is the "Reality of Star Trek". Star Trek is fiction. It isn't real. It's a valid topic for discussion only if one can keep that in mind.

Enow wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Enow wrote: View Post
However, in this reality, Biblical prophesies foretells one third of the earth burning up, and that was just to serve as a catalyst for the NWO and their mark of the beast system.
"Reality" and "biblical prophesies" are mutually exclusive terms.
"Mutually exclusive" applies only until it happens.
So the world of Harry Potter is only fictional until it isn't?
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:51 AM   #32
Enow
Lieutenant
 
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Enow wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
You're ignoring that Star Trek, particularly in its later forms, tells us that a Third World War (which nearly destroyed humanity), and first contact with aliens caused the people of Earth to re-evaluate their goals and they joined together to improve themselves and society.
If the first two world wars didn't do it, what makes you think a third one would? Is it the old saying, "Three time's the charm"? Then I can understand where you are coming from as far as how Star Trek Universe comes into being, but again, reality does paint a different picture.

I somehow believe that in Star Trek Enterprise episode "In the Mirror Darkly, " that would be the mentality of the people of earth at that time when survival, looking out for number one, and having the upper hand in all things like power is how anyone thinks they are going to get ahead.

However, in this reality, Biblical prophesies foretells one third of the earth burning up, and that was just to serve as a catalyst for the NWO and their mark of the beast system. Survival will be all that those people will be thinking about, and yet by adapting that mentality to be united with one cause, Star Trek is still no where in the picture. But there will be a gathering of the armies of the remaining parts of the world to battle the Lord upon His return with the saints at the end of the great tribulation period. ( Which is seven years, starting when they give the command to build the Third Temple in Jerusalem. )

They are already adapting the technology for the mark of the beast system, and that is the biochip to buy and sell in Europe. The biochip is being used elsewhere for medical information like in Mexico and security purposes in companies like GPS tagging. It is not the mark of the beast system yet, until the bio chips becomes the only means to buy & sell in this NWO, thus killing off those that refuse the mark because of the Biblical warning from God that those that take the mark are destined for the lake of fire.

Maybe the Lord will have His people trekking the stars when Satan and death has been done away with forever after they have been cast into the lake of fire. There is nothing in Biblical prophesies about that, but who knows? God only knows.

It's time like these that it wouldn't hurt for fans of Star Trek to do a little research on what direction the world is going and how it is lining up with Biblical prophesies. Maybe they will look as I do in the direction higher than the heavens to Heaven above and the hope of us getting there will not be by a starship, but by the hope in the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ as it is His righteousness and His faithfulness that is bringing us there for all those that believe and put their trust in Him.

So... maybe Star Trek may happen when mankind is no longer broken and thus in no need of the Saviour, because they are saved and free to roam the universe for they will never be apart from Him.

Christians can dream after all.

Course, this is in according to my faith on how Star Trek could be, but I just don't see it happening when mankind is not perfect yet to do that trekking through the stars. Murphy's law will more likely come into play than anything else as our fallible nature will hinder us so.
Your idea of god is flawed and antiquated. I have no need of it, or its draconian bloodlust. It has my permission, however, to continue steering clear of Star Trek, because though the universe in which Star Trek exists is also fantasy, it's an optimistic one, unlike the concept of a god that requires suffering and death as its price. That is a fantasy of which I, nor any other person of compassion, have no use.
You do not know my God then.

Would you say the same thing to a Klingon or a Bajoran in that Star Trek "reality"? The "spirit" of Star Trek would lead you in "optimism" to not say anything negative at all.

Or am I wrong in what your fantasy would require you to do in that spirit of optimism?
Enow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:56 AM   #33
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
You do not know my God then.
Oh, I most certainly know of your god. Having been a fundamentalist Christian minister for nearly a decade, and having been raised in a non-Denominational Christian home, I am fully aware of the god you worship. It's a shame you don't seem to see it, as you seem to accept your captor, and abuser, as your savior.

You can bible up whatever you like; I've already seen it.

Would you say the same thing to a Klingon or a Bajoran in that Star Trek "reality"?
Yes. I have no need of their gods, either.

The "spirit" of Star Trek would lead you in "optimism" to not say anything negative at all.
"Optimism" does not equal "free of disagreement." Optimism is about a brighter future, where humanity pursues goals that lead away from selfishness, ignorance, greed, and war.

Or am I wrong in what your fantasy would require you to do in that spirit of optimism?
You are quite wrong, yes.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:58 AM   #34
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Within Star Trek, the Bajoran gods (The Prophets) exist. There's no proof of sky-daddy in real life.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:06 AM   #35
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Within Star Trek, the Bajoran gods (The Prophets) exist.
They exist, but there's no proof that they're Gods. Just really advanced aliens.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:10 AM   #36
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

BillJ wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Within Star Trek, the Bajoran gods (The Prophets) exist.
They exist, but there's no proof that they're Gods. Just really advanced aliens.
That's true. Prophets, like Mohammed, who also exists. You can visit his tomb, unlike that fellow the Christians yammer on about.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:11 AM   #37
Enow
Lieutenant
 
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

BillJ wrote: View Post
Enow wrote: View Post
Course, if you are referring to "Muslims" prophesies, you got me there, but John 16:1-3 proves "to me" that they do not know Him at all.
If God isn't there for all of his children whether they accept him or not, whether they follow the path he supposedly put before them or not then he is no God of mine.

It's like a parent rejecting a child because they don't agree with the choices they made.

I'd much rather have some lakefront property on the Lake of Fire.
Interesting.

If a man got bitten by a snake with a venom of slow acting poison and he knows he is going to die eventually, but the doctor has the antidote to save the man, whose fault is it when the man refuses the antidote because he likes the decaying state he is in more than being saved from being that way?

When Thallus, a secular historian, wrote about an eclipse at the time of the crucifixion of Christ, but Julius Africanus, another secular historian, corrected him because there was no eclipse scheduled at that time, where did all the light go?

What did you think would happen when our Creator took our sins upon Himself on that cross and suffered a seperation from God the Father in Heaven?

Jesus Christ was made sin for us so that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him. No greater love than that than he that lays his life down for his friends.

Jesus Christ paid the penalty for the wages of our sins. He is the antidote as sin did seperate us from God.

Now He is risen and our hope rests in Him not just for eternal life, but our hope rests in Him to help us to live as His as we ought to wherein sin will not have dominion over our lives anymore. By the grace of God we are saved, and by the grace of God we go by faith in the Son of God in us.

Anyway: just saying that all God expects from us is to hope in Him. Any expectations we are failing in as hyped up by religious people, that is what we are to trust Him in taking care of and believe Him that He will do it.

Believing Jesus Christ is the antidote. The lake of fire is what every sinner is heading towards as total seperation from God and all that is good will be the result. Love has been shown by God, and the way back to Him has been provided. His promise is that all those that seek, shall find.

So take pause and reconsider your stance because where you spend your eternity is really at stake. Don't let religious people clutter up why Jesus Christ is called the Good News.
Enow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:13 AM   #38
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Enow wrote: View Post
Course, if you are referring to "Muslims" prophesies, you got me there, but John 16:1-3 proves "to me" that they do not know Him at all.
If God isn't there for all of his children whether they accept him or not, whether they follow the path he supposedly put before them or not then he is no God of mine.

It's like a parent rejecting a child because they don't agree with the choices they made.

I'd much rather have some lakefront property on the Lake of Fire.
Interesting.

If a man got bitten by a snake with a venom of slow acting poison and he knows he is going to die eventually, but the doctor has the antidote to save the man, whose fault is it when the man refuses the antidote because he likes the decaying state he is in more than being saved from being that way?

When Thallus, a secular historian, wrote about an eclipse at the time of the crucifixion of Christ, but Julius Africanus, another secular historian, corrected him because there was no eclipse scheduled at that time, where did all the light go?

What did you think would happen when our Creator took our sins upon Himself on that cross and suffered a seperation from God the Father in Heaven?

Jesus Christ was made sin for us so that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him. No greater love than that than he that lays his life down for his friends.

Jesus Christ paid the penalty for the wages of our sins. He is the antidote as sin did seperate us from God.

Now He is risen and our hope rests in Him not just for eternal life, but our hope rests in Him to help us to live as His as we ought to wherein sin will not have dominion over our lives anymore. By the grace of God we are saved, and by the grace of God we go by faith in the Son of God in us.

Anyway: just saying that all God expects from us is to hope in Him. Any expectations we are failing in as hyped up by religious people, that is what we are to trust Him in taking care of and believe Him that He will do it.

Believing Jesus Christ is the antidote. The lake of fire is what every sinner is heading towards as total seperation from God and all that is good will be the result. Love has been shown by God, and the way back to Him has been provided. His promise is that all those that seek, shall find.

So take pause and reconsider your stance because where you spend your eternity is really at stake. Don't let religious people clutter up why Jesus Christ is called the Good News.
Don't start witnessing here. You're not dealing with wide eyed innocents, you are in a thread full of people who know better, who have studied longer, and who learned far sooner.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:16 AM   #39
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post

So take pause and reconsider your stance because where you spend your eternity is really at stake. Don't let religious people clutter up why Jesus Christ is called the Good News.
You worry about your soul and I'll worry about mine.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:19 AM   #40
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
Interesting.

If a man got bitten by a snake with a venom of slow acting poison and he knows he is going to die eventually, but the doctor has the antidote to save the man, whose fault is it when the man refuses the antidote because he likes the decaying state he is in more than being saved from being that way?

When Thallus, a secular historian, wrote about an eclipse at the time of the crucifixion of Christ, but Julius Africanus, another secular historian, corrected him because there was no eclipse scheduled at that time, where did all the light go?

What did you think would happen when our Creator took our sins upon Himself on that cross and suffered a seperation from God the Father in Heaven?

Jesus Christ was made sin for us so that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him. No greater love than that than he that lays his life down for his friends.

Jesus Christ paid the penalty for the wages of our sins. He is the antidote as sin did seperate us from God.

Now He is risen and our hope rests in Him not just for eternal life, but our hope rests in Him to help us to live as His as we ought to wherein sin will not have dominion over our lives anymore. By the grace of God we are saved, and by the grace of God we go by faith in the Son of God in us.

Anyway: just saying that all God expects from us is to hope in Him. Any expectations we are failing in as hyped up by religious people, that is what we are to trust Him in taking care of and believe Him that He will do it.

Believing Jesus Christ is the antidote. The lake of fire is what every sinner is heading towards as total seperation from God and all that is good will be the result. Love has been shown by God, and the way back to Him has been provided. His promise is that all those that seek, shall find.

So take pause and reconsider your stance because where you spend your eternity is really at stake. Don't let religious people clutter up why Jesus Christ is called the Good News.
^ this post is why i'm so glad to be an atheist.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:32 AM   #41
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow - you've dragged the discussion away from the topic of Trek reality and into religious opinion. I've participated, as have others, but this thread needs to come back to a Trek-centered discussion at this point.
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:44 AM   #42
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
When Thallus, a secular historian, wrote about an eclipse at the time of the crucifixion of Christ, but Julius Africanus, another secular historian, corrected him because there was no eclipse scheduled at that time, where did all the light go?
Thallus wasn't a secular historian. He asserted the existence of the Olympians and Titans as part of recorded history and tried to chronologically date the events of Greek mythology.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:45 AM   #43
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
"Reality" and "biblical prophesies" are mutually exclusive terms.
"Mutually exclusive" applies only until it happens.[/QUOTE]So, never. Good.

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Enow - you've dragged the discussion away from the topic of Trek reality and into religious opinion. I've participated, as have others, but this thread needs to come back to a Trek-centered discussion at this point.
I don't think Trek was ever the point of this thread.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:00 AM   #44
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I don't think Trek was ever the point of this thread.
*steps back in*

You're absolutely right. Star Trek ceased to be the topic with Post #6, when Enow made his first reply, which was to my Post #2. That's when the topic suddenly changed to religion, and he later "apologizes" for misunderstanding my post, which was technically on topic, but he claimed was diverting off topic.

*closes door again*
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:19 AM   #45
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Thallus wasn't a secular historian. He asserted the existence of the Olympians and Titans as part of recorded history and tried to chronologically date the events of Greek mythology.
Besides, was there even such a thing as "secular history" at that time?

Also: everybody knows the truth about the apocalypse is that it's just a pissing match between two petulant brothers. I'm with Gabriel, personally.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.