Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 16 2013, 01:26 AM   #151
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

Tsk, you forgot to include...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:29 AM   #152
Sran
Fleet Captain

^I'm waiting for JWolf to come here and claim we're mocking him because of the spoiler buttons.

--Sran
Old September 16 2013, 04:21 AM   #153
Shane Houston
Lieutenant Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
Perhaps every time you post a spoiler, you should also post three fake spoilers, and every time you respond to a spoiler you have to respond to all of the fake ones too. Then even if someone reads it, whichever one is plot relevant will still be a surprise.
Bravo, sir! That's EXACTLY what we should do.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:21 PM   #154
JWolf
Commodore

Sran wrote: View Post
^I'm waiting for JWolf to come here and claim we're mocking him because of the spoiler buttons.

--Sran
I think what you are doing is being childish because you don't want to use spoiler codes and this is your way of acting out.
Old September 16 2013, 10:54 PM   #155
Sran
Fleet Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
I think what you are doing is being childish because you don't want to use spoiler codes and this is your way of acting out.
Good luck trying to prove that.

--Sran
Old September 16 2013, 11:27 PM   #156
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'd discuss how this is going to end, but I'm too lazy to spoiler-tag it.
Old September 17 2013, 02:47 AM   #157
trampledamage
Clone

--Sran

--Sran
Good luck trying to prove that.

--Sran
Discussing use of spoilers is fraught enough without being getting personal - stick to discussing the subject please.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 04:51 AM   #158
Pavonis
Commodore

...you don't want to use spoiler codes and this is your way of acting out.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm against the idea of spoiler codes for everything all the time, which is the only "fair" thing to do with discussions of any Trek lit. No one has read all of the novels, short stories and comics. Therefore, the only thing to do that will please the spoiler-averse posters here is to spoiler code everything that is posted. If you think that's reasonable, by all means, do so. Just don't expect many people to participate when they see a forum full of threads spoiler coded so that they need to click to see every insignificant little post.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 03:03 PM   #159
Deano2099
Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Where the danger lies for me is if I'm reading a thread about a book I've already read, and a recent post from someone who's further along could say, "This reminds me of what happened in the novel that came out last month..." and then they proceed to give away plot points about something recent in a thread that's actually about something else. THAT is what I object to. It's inconsiderate.
I agree with this and think people need to use common sense when it comes to discussing information in other novels that aren't directly related to the thread in question. Having said that, I don't believe that people purposely avoid doing this in an effort to be rude. People make mistakes and forget. It happens.
My only point was that when it does happen, someone should be able to flag that post and have a mod fix it. Like we used to. And that part of the rules should say 'be considerate about this'. Yes, it's silly that we need that, but the attitudes of some in this thread have made it clear that intend to follow the rules to the letter and show no consideration to others at all unless they are told they have to by a mod. Someone came right out and said as much.

It's perfectly acceptable to question the wisdom of a decision before it's made. But once the decision has been reached and implemented, it is the responsibility of everyone to stand the behind the decision and support it.
My apologies, as I mentioned I've been off the board because of the spoiler issue for a good while, only checking in periodically. I hadn't realised that this issue had already been discussed and debated in the context of coming up with a new rule. If you could link me to that discussion I'd appreciate it.

Except that you've provided absolutely no proof that the rule doesn't work. You've only whined repeatedly because you don't agree with its existence. Another poster made an excellent suggestion that you and your supporters poll the members of this forum to determine what they think the best alternative policy should be.
The problem is that the argument is that people like me have left the board because of these issues. By definition, the current board is only going to contain people who don't have a problem with the way things are at the moment. As for statistical evidence: I'm fairly sure this board is less busy now than it was five years ago.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 03:41 PM   #160
DonIago
Rear Admiral

"The problem is that the argument is that people like me have left the board because of these issues. By definition, the current board is only going to contain people who don't have a problem with the way things are at the moment. As for statistical evidence: I'm fairly sure this board is less busy now than it was five years ago."

As they'd say on Wikipedia - Citation Needed.
Old September 22 2013, 04:10 PM   #161
trampledamage
Clone

Deano2099 wrote: View Post

My only point was that when it does happen, someone should be able to flag that post and have a mod fix it. Like we used to.
You still can. Nothing about the current spoiler handling rules says you can't raise an issue with a moderator and ask them to fix it.

If anyone sees what they think is a spoiler in a thread that isn't set up for spoilers or anything that they have a problem with, hit the little triangle next to the post to notify the moderators on it.

We may not agree with your assessment, and we'll make our own decision about what to do but we will look into it.

Old September 22 2013, 04:13 PM   #162
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
My only point was that when it does happen, someone should be able to flag that post and have a mod fix it. Like we used to.
Huh? We can't do that any more?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 04:15 PM   #163
trampledamage
Clone

Yes, you absolutely can!

Old September 22 2013, 05:36 PM   #164
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Yes, you absolutely can!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 10:38 PM   #165
JWolf
Commodore

The problem comes from those that say they don't want to use spoilers and obviously won't whenever they think they can get away with it. It's attitudes like this that have driven some away and made the activity here less then it was. There used to be more regulars and now there are less regulars. (IMHO) I think this is because of some of the people who are being rude and one way to be rude is not to use spoiler codes when appropriate regardless of the thread topic or age of the books.

For example, the new book threads have (in the past) had spoiler codes used even though the thread said (Spoilers!). That was polite and it worked and people could read the threads and chime in as they read the book. Now we have some saying to just post the spoilers because it's allowed. That's rude and that's the sort of attitude that will and has driven some away.