Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 22 2013, 10:54 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 on blu-ray -- What can we do?

As awesome as that would be... doubt it will happen. It's questionable if we'll even get another TNG promotional screening, which was way more popular than DS9.
Old August 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I'm assuming TNG sales are much higher than ENT--
Yeah, it's not even close:
Today's Amazon UK's Film and TV (DVD & BD) rankings are:

TNG S4 #116
ENT S2 #3,222

To be fair, today is the release day of TNG S4 and ENT S2 isn't out yet. So let's compare the other TNG releases with ENT S1 and we get this.

TNG S3 #3,173
ENT s1 #24,584

TNG S2 #6,025
TNG S1 #5,582

Again, no sales numbers but these rankings show that even the 5 year old release of TOS season 1 (# 20,191) is currently outselling ENT S1.
That post from Scotty, BTW, comes from this thread, the top of page 30.
Old August 23 2013, 11:38 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Also to be fair, with the current econmic climate people might not have a large amount of free cash and if I could only afford one I would go for TNG. ENT also has the disadvantage that it might not be as well known in the UK. Didin't it air on CH5 or something. Unlike TOS/TNG/DSN who aired on BBC at 18:00.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 11:53 PM   #19
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

As much as I love the TNG Blu Ray releases, if I could choose I would have had DS9 on Blu Ray over all the other series. Probably a Trek faux-pas to admit, but I don't care!
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 09:46 PM   #20
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't worry I expect a lot of people agree with you!

The most puzzling thing is a total lack of solid news, though the hints are leaning towards hearing a thumbs up early next year.
Old August 27 2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. TNG may have been the favorite back in the day, but a *lot* of people feel DS9 has aged better. That's worth something to the studios, whether they realize it or not.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 10:22 PM   #22
GNDN
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
Seems pretty clear-cut to me. TNG may have been the favorite back in the day, but a *lot* of people feel DS9 has aged better. That's worth something to the studios, whether they realize it or not.
And this is why it's up to us to make it clear how much demand there may well be for this series. And of course, the obvious metric being evaluated by CBS is sales of TNG blu (already mentioned upthread)

Well I have been doing my part and can only look forward to more Trek on blu. iTunes, Netflix, etc. don't personally interest me but they're obvious outlets for these HD remasters as well.

Has there been any announced plans of returning TNG to HD syndication? Or is there an assumption that this would only happen after all 7 seasons are complete?

TNG season 5 and Unification pre-ordered, waiting on word of ENT season 3 (which I'm largely enjoying rewatching) and can't wait for any concrete info on DS9.

I'm sure most here are already aware, but I did re-read this article recently which may lead to more optimism and an answer to those concerned about the increasing use of CGI. Trekcore Article
Old August 28 2013, 01:23 AM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Here's the thing...

If you randomly poll non-Trek fans, or even the casual ones who might've caught one of the recent movies, nearly all of them will be able to tell you who Kirk and Spock are. A good many of them will be able to tell you who Picard and Data are, given how mainstream TNG was in the 90's. I doubt very many at all will be able to tell you who Sisko and Dax are. It's sad, but that's a reality of it and couple that with a higher cost of remastering all this stuff given how much more effects DS9 used, I'm sure that's going to factor into their decision.
Old August 28 2013, 01:28 AM   #24
Dream
Admiral

It's funny how it is always DS9 fans starting these topics, while VOY fans don't give a crap about whether their show is remastered or not. I heard VOY dvd sales were pretty awful too!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 02:02 AM   #25
BruntFCA
Commander

I doubt that blu-ray sales are as big a factor as some people think. The way I see it if CBS wants to keep making money off of Star Trek not just from home media but also streaming, syndication, and what ever else the future holds then they need to "Future-Proof" the entire Star Trek catalog by remastering everything because at some point HD will be the normal accepted format and SD will be considerably less valuable.
Old August 28 2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I doubt that blu-ray sales are as big a factor as some people think. The way I see it if CBS wants to keep making money off of Star Trek not just from home media but also streaming, syndication, and what ever else the future holds then they need to "Future-Proof" the entire Star Trek catalog by remastering everything because at some point HD will be the normal accepted format and SD will be considerably less valuable.
That's it exactly. The studio is looking at the big picture, not just BD sales. They want to continue to milk money out of these properties. DS9's remaster is virtually assured, as is VOY's.

Yes, there's more CGI in those series than there was in TNG, but the restoration teams have probably learned by doing TNG how to do things even more efficiently and will apply what they learned to the other series to help cut costs and reduce the amount of time it takes. I imagine they're learning as they go and will learn from their mistakes as well as their successes how to make a DS9 remaster as efficient as possible.
Old August 28 2013, 06:41 PM   #27
garaks the best
Lieutenant

Dream wrote: View Post
It's funny how it is always DS9 fans starting these topics, while VOY fans don't give a crap about whether their show is remastered or not. I heard VOY dvd sales were pretty awful too!
Do you know if DS9 sold well?
garaks the best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:05 PM   #28
GNDN
Commodore

VOY had some impressive FX, but I feel DS9 was far more visually interesting, especially on the standing sets, and that the show will benefit far more greatly from the HD treatment due to the often dark and higher contrast cinematography.
Old August 28 2013, 07:07 PM   #29
Dream
Admiral

garaks the best wrote: View Post
DS9 sets apparently sold beyond Paramount's expectations.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:10 PM   #30
GNDN
Commodore

garaks the best wrote: View Post
DS9 sets apparently sold beyond Paramount's expectations.