Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old November 9 2013, 04:55 AM   #436
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

So we have an official excelsior length
Now on to Connie and refit
450ish anyone?
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 05:10 AM   #437
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wow, Bob, great find. Interesting that the botanical garden was almost a bar. It's a shame the set they used didn't match those big windows exactly.

So, I'd really like everyone's input at this point on the two Excelsior sizes. While I feel that the larger size makes more sense, it's also quite possible to make the smaller version work with the window alignments, with a minor degree of fudgery in regard to the saucer window arrangements, as thee secondary hull can actually have the same deck arrangement between the two sizes by simply and arbitrarily swapping 12 feet decks for 9 feet decks.

At this point, I really need your help deciding which I should consider right.

Check out the 622 meter version:

...and compare it to the 467 meter version:

Please note that the deck arrangement in my 467 meter version is slightly different from before, as I've moved the saucer rim back to a full two decks thick arrangement. The heights in relation to the deck feel a little weird to me, but if I'm already suspending disbelief for the bridge I don't consider it a dealbreaker.

Compare the green lines of the decks to the locations of the windows, from Gus's Excelsior drawing. (I negatized it to make it a little easier to see on my black background.) Please also note that my study of photographs has found that the windows on the plateau under the bridge on his drawing are a bit too high for some reason.

Further, have a look at the large and small Excelsior next to the official sized Enterprise refit.

So, please help me decide here guys. What do you think? Which size do you consider more correct?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 03:44 PM   #438
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I'd go with the larger Excelsior.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 04:23 PM   #439
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

To me, 622 meters is overall more convincing.
Old November 9 2013, 06:24 PM   #440
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I think you should scale the TMP Enterprise to 725m and the Excelsior to 1,400. >.>
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 08:41 PM   #441
publiusr
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
Mytran, I like your style. I'm borrowing it for this next one,

--Alex
I love the combination of the two drawings. I'd like to see a secondary hull made up of the lines of both combined--the TOS dish antenna but the longer refit shuttlebay and sec hul keel...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 05:43 PM   #442
Albertese
Commodore

All right...

I've shuffled the drawings a bit to make the two secondary hulls line up at the shuttlebay deck and the forward bulkhead that the defelctor machinery attaches to.

This may not be what you meant, but hopefully it'll get you in the direction you're looking to go in.

Enjoy!

--Alex

Last edited by Albertese; November 10 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 05:45 AM   #443
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I'm almost 100% sure that's Simon Matthew Coles' model of the Excelsior from Sci-Fi Meshes. Ask Tobias, but I'm sure that pic isn't his model.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:15 AM   #444
Mytran
Fleet Captain

FWIW, I think the larger Excelsior makes more sense. The original intention may have been to make it smaller but that's not what we see on screen, and it strains credibility to try and squash everything in.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 04:09 PM   #445
Albertese
Commodore

Yeah, I like the bigger size. Let's not forget that linefrom TUC..."By God, that's a big ship!"

--Alex
Old November 11 2013, 10:24 PM   #446
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

While I like the larger version, and I don't see why it couldn't be that large, it just feels too big for the era... Not exactly a logical statement, but that's my stance on it.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:02 AM   #447
blssdwlf
Commodore

I like the larger Excelsior size as well. It meshes alot better with whats on screen.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:27 PM   #448
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
While I like the larger version, and I don't see why it couldn't be that large, it just feels too big for the era... Not exactly a logical statement, but that's my stance on it.
The era that built that spacedock?
Old November 13 2013, 03:26 AM   #449
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Howdy gang.

beamMe wrote: View Post
I'd go with the larger Excelsior.
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
To me, 622 meters is overall more convincing.
Mytran wrote: View Post
FWIW, I think the larger Excelsior makes more sense. The original intention may have been to make it smaller but that's not what we see on screen, and it strains credibility to try and squash everything in.
Yeah, I like the bigger size. Let's not forget that linefrom TUC..."By God, that's a big ship!"

--Alex
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
I like the larger Excelsior size as well. It meshes alot better with whats on screen.
Alright, so that's five for the large Excelsior...

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
And one for the smaller. Kinda. Any others favoring the smaller one?

Nob Akimoto wrote: View Post
I think you should scale the TMP Enterprise to 725m and the Excelsior to 1,400. >.>
Now you're just making up numbers to mess up my math, ain't ya?

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
I'm almost 100% sure that's Simon Matthew Coles' model of the Excelsior from Sci-Fi Meshes. Ask Tobias, but I'm sure that pic isn't his model.
My bad, it might be but I had seen renders of it with "The Light Works" on them, which I thought was Tobias Richter.

All right...

I've shuffled the drawings a bit to make the two secondary hulls line up at the shuttlebay deck and the forward bulkhead that the defelctor machinery attaches to.

This may not be what you meant, but hopefully it'll get you in the direction you're looking to go in.

Enjoy!

--Alex
That really nicely helps reinforce again how indeed it is possible the two designs are the same ship, just rebuilt and reorganized a bit.

So not that it's very definitive, but this is kind of neat. Have a look at the Lakota and the Defiant scaled against one another.

Interesting how the math works out here...

Defiant - 1381 px
Excelsior - 4934 px

Excelsior @ 622 meters
622/4934 = .126 m/px
1381 * .126 = 174 meter Defiant

Excelsior @ 467 meters
467/4934 = .0946 m/px
1381 * .0946 = 130 meter Defiant

So, with the larger Excelsior we end up with the larger size postulated by Bernd over at EAS, and at the smaller/official Excelsior we end up with a ship slightly larger than the official Defiant size.

Of course, testing anything's scale against the Defiant is like trying to ask a sasquatch if the Lock Ness monster exists...

As a final thought for the day, this is what the 305 meter Enterprise refit looks like next to the Excelsior. Not that I necessarily think the refit has to be 305 meters, mind you. Just for giggles.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:18 AM   #450
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

i want you to just try this for the TOS star ship onlt, from the inside and out side of the ship, i do like where you are going with this but i do need it for this ship only of ncc1701 enterprise, no A,B,C,or D,E. just this one only.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote