RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 794
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old February 19 2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Life of the Enterprise-A

At the end of TUC, the E-A was decommissioned. Would the ship be deconstructed and the materials used in the consturction of other ships? Or would the E-A just be relegated to the Starfleet Museum? If the latter, could the ship be reactivated, renamed and put back to work during a time of need (for example during the Dominion War)?

If she was a new build at the end of TVH then she would have some life left in her, or even if she was another ship renamed then she might still be of some use by the 2370s.
Old February 19 2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Infern0
Captain

Re: Life of the Enterprise-A

I think I read somewhere that the A was actually just another ship that they renamed, which makes sense. You couldn't see them building a brand new ship from scratch then decommissioning it just a few years later. It also adds up with Scotty having so many problems with it, perhaps it was quite an old, worn out ship.

As to if it was used later on in the dominion war, I could see it as a transport ship or something of that nature. It's likely that the weapons and shield system of the 2370's would require WAY more power than a ship of that class could generate, unless they ripped everything out of it and rebuilt it from scratch on the inside... which seems possible but very costly at the same time they would probably have to tear the exterior apart too, upgrading the hull plating and just about everything else, basically all they would use in my opinion would be the chassis.

To me there would be something bad ass about a custom built constitution class in the 2370's, with bio-neural gel packs, quantum torpedo, ablative Armour and all the other modern tech.

I guess they still had the excelsior and miranda class around, so it's possible it could be retrofitted, albeit as i say i'd imagine at great expense.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 01:17 PM   #3
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

Infern0 wrote: View Post
I think I read somewhere that the A was actually just another ship that they renamed, which makes sense. You couldn't see them building a brand new ship from scratch then decommissioning it just a few years later. It also adds up with Scotty having so many problems with it, perhaps it was quite an old, worn out ship.
Memory Alpha says it was a completely brand-new ship, commissioned and released specifically to celebrate Kirk's saving the planet by retrieving whales. Apparently whoever had been put in charge of building it was a moron, because all the systems promptly failed on the first shakedown voyage.

How could Starfleet's shipbuilders be so comically inept?

Well, we ARE talking about Star Trek V here. That movie...
AverageWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 01:39 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

AverageWriter wrote: View Post
Memory Alpha says it was a completely brand-new ship, commissioned and released specifically to celebrate Kirk's saving the planet by retrieving whales. Apparently whoever had been put in charge of building it was a moron, because all the systems promptly failed on the first shakedown voyage.

The idea that she was an old but recently refitted ship works just as well, though. She would still be the new Enterprise for Kirk and the gang.

As far as the fate of the ship after Star Trek VI--I go with her being scrapped, especially if we go with the idea that she was a renamed older vessel on her last hurrah. Starfleet may even had long planned to decommission the vessel in lieu of the new Enterprise-B which could have been nearing completion at the time.
Old February 19 2014, 01:50 PM   #5
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The idea that she was an old but recently refitted ship works just as well, though.
Perhaps, except that all the references specify her being specifically built in 2286 at the San Francisco Fleet Yards. That doesn't really leave much wiggle room, yes?
Old February 19 2014, 02:22 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The idea that she was an old but recently refitted ship works just as well, though.
Perhaps, except that all the references specify her being specifically built in 2286 at the San Francisco Fleet Yards. That doesn't really leave much wiggle room, yes?
Who actually said that in any of the movies? As far as onscreen material is concerned, all we know was that the Enterprise-A was christened and launched at the end of the Star Trek VI, so it's as valid an idea as any for the ship to have been another vessel previously.

While some consider it bad luck to rename a vessel, it actually has happened quite a lot throughout history. Even the very first USS Enterprise (18th-Century) was a renamed vessel.
Old February 19 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The idea that she was an old but recently refitted ship works just as well, though. She would still be the new Enterprise for Kirk and the gang.

As far as the fate of the ship after Star Trek VI--I go with her being scrapped, especially if we go with the idea that she was a renamed older vessel on her last hurrah. Starfleet may even had long planned to decommission the vessel in lieu of the new Enterprise-B which could have been nearing completion at the time.
I don't see them scrapping Kirk's ship, renamed, new or otherwise. Even if it wasn't the original.

I could see it going into a museum with most of it's usable systems stripped out.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 03:04 PM   #8
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

Who actually said that in any of the movies? As far as onscreen material is concerned, all we know was that the Enterprise-A was christened and launched at the end of the Star Trek VI, so it's as valid an idea as any for the ship to have been another vessel previously.
I trust Memory Alpha as my main source for ST references. To me, there's little, if anything, better as a source.
Old February 19 2014, 03:34 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote:
I don't see them scrapping Kirk's ship, renamed, new or otherwise. Even if it wasn't the original.

I could see it going into a museum with most of it's usable systems stripped out.
I even thought that once, but not anymore.

I trust Memory Alpha as my main source for ST references. To me, there's little, if anything, better as a source.
Memory Alpha is a good source, but there's quite a bit of it that's purely conjectural on their part and they even point out such things. As such, the idea of the Enterprise-A being an older renamed ship is still plausible as other ideas.
Old February 19 2014, 03:41 PM   #10
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

"the idea of the Enterprise-A being an older renamed ship is still plausible as other ideas."
We'll have to agree to disagree on that then. Given the ship's stated build date, the fact that the official StarTrek.com site gives the same launch date as well, plus the lack of a nudge towards there being an older history with the ship, I can't really reconcile the idea.

The ship was basically totaled in STVI, which would have given StarFleet a reason to decom her anyway. Chang really did a number on her.
Old February 19 2014, 04:00 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

"the idea of the Enterprise-A being an older renamed ship is still plausible as other ideas."
We'll have to agree to disagree on that then. Given the ship's stated build date, the fact that the official StarTrek.com site gives the same launch date as well, plus the lack of a nudge towards there being an older history with the ship, I can't really reconcile the idea.
It's really easy for me, since the ship's build date was never stated on screen, and those given from Memory Alpha and the official StarTrek.com site are conjectural. Oh, we can all agree that the Enterprise-A was launched at the end of Star Trek IV, but it's still plausible that the ship had another name and even a service record long before that.
Old February 19 2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Robert Comsol
Commodore

IMHO, it's another matter of perspective and how to interpret the onscreen dialogue.

ST IV: Our protagonists arrive on what looked to me like a shiny new, polished Bridge (= new ship?). The floor carpeting was quite a mess, but I'd believe it hadn't been in usage yet.

ST V: Several pieces of dialogue still suggest a new ship (although the Bridge module had been replaced), IMHO.

SCOTT (OC): U.S.S. Enterprise, shakedown cruise report. I think this new ship was put together by monkeys. Och, she's got a fine engine, but half the doors won't open, and guess whose job it is to make it right?

KIRK: I miss my old chair.

And then there was this piece about Scotty complaining that they don't build them anymore like they used to.

The ship travelled to the center of the galaxy which probably took quite some toll on the engines. With baryon-sweep technology not yet available in the late 23rd Century (my theory) Starfleet was left no choice but to eventually scrap the ship.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:11 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote:

Memory Alpha is a good source, but there's quite a bit of it that's purely conjectural on their part and they even point out such things. As such, the idea of the Enterprise-A being an older renamed ship is still plausible as other ideas.
Indeed, it's interesting how much conjecture gets posted as fact there. And the way they treat illegible background graphics on par with the stories themselves...

That said, I've always assumed the Enterprise-A was new. Aside from the transporter, the malfunctions all appeared to be software glitches. And the ship wasn't ready to launch when she did, after all.
Old February 19 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote:

Indeed, it's interesting how much conjecture gets posted as fact there. And the way they treat illegible background graphics on par with the stories themselves...

That said, I've always assumed the Enterprise-A was new. Aside from the transporter, the malfunctions all appeared to be software glitches. And the ship wasn't ready to launch when she did, after all.
Oh yeah, I'm totally not discounting that the Enterprise-A could be an all-new build, because it can definitely work that way too.
Old February 19 2014, 04:36 PM   #15
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

"Oh yeah, I'm totally not discounting that the Enterprise-A could be an all-new build, because it can definitely work that way too."
It would just mean we would all have to accept that for some unknown period of time every single person at that particular shipyard just spontaneously forgot how to build a working starship...

Hmm...

You know, I'm liking your "old ship quickly pushed back into service" idea more now...