Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 25 2013, 12:46 AM   #46
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: The Doomsday Machine Revealed

The cool thing about the original planet killer's surface was that it has this bizarre translucent quality (really only appears in the shot where it turned), probably because paintwork on the transparent covering around the cone (probably it was a foil shape wrapped by a lighting gel, as Daren Dochterman hypothesizes), which gave it this really alien looking quality that the CGI model utterly lacks. The fact that the glow inside the CGI machine doesn't even look hot or bright further undermined the effect, as do the ineffective flame and blue-kool aid effects spewing out of its mouth.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; August 25 2013 at 01:03 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 03:00 AM   #47
MGagen
Captain

While I like much of what CBS did, the DM itself suffered greatly from the CGI folks total ignorance of how competently to light a subject in a 3d program. While the original model was lit with multicolored lights which gave it that alien, crystalline look; the CGI DM was boring old 128/128/128 neutral gray. It looked like modeling clay!

Color me: disappointed.

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:03 AM   #48
Push The Button
Captain

MGagen, love your avatar! Cmdr. Spock's secret recipe, 19 herbs and spices!
Push The Button is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 07:01 AM   #49
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Looks like they just crunched the width of the letters in "Constellation" a little to make it fit.
Maybe so. I thought the letters in "CONSTELLATION" didn't look like the correct block lettering with 45-degree corners (Amarillo USAF font?). But I could be wrong.

I've just been watching the remastered FX reel of "The Doomsday Machine" on YouTube. As limited as the original physical model work was, I'll take it any day over that horrible, cartoony-looking CGI stuff.

MGagen, love your avatar! Cmdr. Spock's secret recipe, 19 herbs and spices!
Yes, it's a cute avatar. But everyone knows Vulcans are vegetarians!
Old August 25 2013, 07:15 AM   #50
CrazyMatt
Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
Looks like they just crunched the width of the letters in "Constellation" a little to make it fit.
Maybe so. I thought the letters in "CONSTELLATION" didn't look like the correct block lettering with 45-degree corners (Amarillo USAF font?). But I could be wrong.

I've just been watching the remastered FX reel of "The Doomsday Machine" on YouTube. As limited as the original physical model work was, I'll take it any day over that horrible, cartoony-looking CGI stuff.
Interestingly enough, the original '67 AMT model of the Constellation used in the episode has a slightly different font (more of an Arial type) than the Enterprise's for the name plate. It stands to reason that they used the decal sheet from the model kit (simply rearranging the registry number) for all the other decals placed on the model, but they had to create the ship's name decal from scratch. It certainly came out looking OK, and of course they (Matt Jeffries?) did have the same font for both "U.S.S." and "CONSTELLATION."

Have a look-see:

Old August 25 2013, 01:32 PM   #51
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post

Interestingly enough, the original '67 AMT model of the Constellation used in the episode has a slightly different font (more of an Arial type) than the Enterprise's for the name plate. It stands to reason that they used the decal sheet from the model kit (simply rearranging the registry number) for all the other decals placed on the model, but they had to create the ship's name decal from scratch. It certainly came out looking OK, and of course they (Matt Jeffries?) did have the same font for both "U.S.S." and "CONSTELLATION."

Have a look-see:

While I don't know about the 1967 model, but I had one from the 70s and they had all the names of all 14 ships on the decal sheet. including the CONSTELLATION. There seemed to be the assumption that all the registery numbers began with 17.. not just any random four numbers. Though they had a lot of spare numbers on the sheet to play with.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:13 PM   #52
austen_pierce
Captain

ALL OF THIS. Is why I may someday buy TOS-R on bluray, but I will NEVER get rid of my TOS DVDs.

EDIT: Never Mind... I just did my homework, and found that the bluray gives you both versions.

That said, not to hijack the thread, but the bluray appears out of print. Any ideas on whether CBS will re-release?

Last edited by austen_pierce; August 25 2013 at 02:30 PM.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:45 PM   #53
Warped9
Admiral

^^ What do you mean "out of print?" You can go to Amazon and order them right now.
Old August 25 2013, 02:52 PM   #54
Push The Button
Captain

OK, however "bad" the CBS-D CGI model may be, it is certainly better than this poorly detailed, unpainted AMT kit that someone took a pair of pliers and a propane torch to.
Old August 25 2013, 03:07 PM   #55
Warped9
Admiral

Yeah, a little paint work would have gone a long way.
Old August 25 2013, 04:34 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I prefer the original Doomsday effects.
Old August 25 2013, 07:30 PM   #57
CrazyMatt
Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
While I don't know about the 1967 model, but I had one from the 70s and they had all the names of all 14 ships on the decal sheet. including the CONSTELLATION. There seemed to be the assumption that all the registery numbers began with 17.. not just any random four numbers. Though they had a lot of spare numbers on the sheet to play with.
That multi-ship decal didn't exist then.... they didn't even start thinking of the "official" names for the other Starships until the second production season.

Here's a scanned copy of the actual decal sheet that came with the AMT Enterprise model circa 1967, from which the filmed version of the Constellation was built:

OK, however "bad" the CBS-D CGI model may be, it is certainly better than this poorly detailed, unpainted AMT kit that someone took a pair of pliers and a propane torch to.
I think it's just as bad for the opposite reason the original is lacking: while the original is under-detailed, the CGI version is a perfect example of unrestrained excess. 'If a little damage to the saucer is great, why not add more damage... and make it even more great!'

By OVER indulging, they ruined it for me. They would have done much better just to mimic the amount/type/locations of damage on the '67 model and make it look more 'realistic.'

How would you feel if you took your 10 year-old car into the shop to simply be re-painted, and when you went to pick it up, you found that they added horns from a steer on the hood, fins on the back and removed the roof in order to add Batmobile bubble windows--all because someone thought they would look cool? Well, that's how I feel when I see the CGI Constellation.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Yeah, a little paint work would have gone a long way.
I've often wondered why they only painted the pylons for the warp nacelles (the four interior gold panels on each) and the gold deflector disc and left so many other sections unpainted: the lone surviving end cap on the port side nacelle, the impulse engine grills, etc. Done right, it would have made the model more convincing. Maybe they just ran out of time, like they always seemed to be doing during the first two years of the production....

For the 'overhead' shots of the ship, I also believe they photographed the model from too close a distance. Photographed a bit further away, and with some of the missing details discussed above included, the model would likely have looked much more realistic.
Old August 25 2013, 07:37 PM   #58
CrazyMatt
Commander

By the way, here's a great site detailing someone who built a close replica of the damaged AMT model in 1/1000 scale:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=329619.
Old August 26 2013, 01:54 AM   #59
Push The Button
Captain

How would you feel if you took your 10 year-old car into the shop to simply be re-painted, and when you went to pick it up, you found that they added horns from a steer on the hood, fins on the back and removed the roof in order to add Batmobile bubble windows--all because someone thought they would look cool? Well, that's how I feel when I see the CGI Constellation.
On my car, those would be welcome improvements.

But seriously, I respect your opinion. The original AMT Constellation model footage looked great back in 1975 on my 13" black and white TV, but the improvements in broadcast and video technologies over the years have revealed many of the shortcomings of the original f/x that I was blissfully unaware of at the time.

BTW, what ever happened to this model, does anyone know?
Old August 26 2013, 02:15 AM   #60
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
That multi-ship decal didn't exist then.... they didn't even start thinking of the "official" names for the other Starships until the second production season.

Here's a scanned copy of the actual decal sheet that came with the AMT Enterprise model circa 1967, from which the filmed version of the Constellation was built:

Thanks I'm thinking I've got myself a decal identical to one used in an episode only to find out the episode came first.
Its crazy IMO to think they used a merchandise toy as a prop in the same show.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote