Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: The Doomsday Machine Revealed

Some of the new FX in the episode worked others didn't. And I'm going to say I prefer the practical FX of the Doomsday Machine rather than the CGI. The CGI version of the PLanet Killer to me looked more fake than the 40 year old practical FX Planet Killer.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 07:04 AM   #32
CrazyMatt
Commander

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
I cannot believe those here who actually prefer the old, creaky effects of DM, as opposed to the CBS Digital FX.
Perhaps it's that the CBS effects where SO AWFUL and DISAPPOINTING that I prefer the original ones, where at least what we see is the best available from that time.

What's wrong with the new fx? PLENTY.

-- The machine surface and interior effect both look cartoonish. The beam it shoots looks as phoney as a three dollar bill. And it's not supposed to "shoot flame," it's supposed to shoot an anti-proton beam. Don't really know what that looks like exactly but I'm pretty sure it ain't flame.

-- The ridiculously over-damaged Constellation. My god, considering the pounding, how did any of the crew not die until they got to the surface of the planet? Half the saucer section--a very slight exaggeration--is gone! And, oh by the way, wouldn't have been nice if they used the same font in both "U.S.S." and "CONSTELLATION"? Look close and you'll see they're different. SLOPPY and INATTENTIVE WORK says I.

-- The ridiculously undamaged Enterprise: You mean to tell me the machine does that level of damage to the Constellation, but it hits the Enterprise six times (that we see), including at least two after the ship loses its shields, causing "inner hull ruptures" and "severe casualties"... and yet when we see it break away after the tractor beam is broken, it looks 'fresh out of the shop new.' I understand why the Enterprise looks undamaged in the original version--they couldn't afford to damage the model--so what's the excuse for the remastered version? That's right, there is none.

OH YEAH, that's it. The Enterprise had that corbomite stuff... guess they forgot to install that on the Constellation. That explains it!

So yes, I'll watch the episode with the original effects. Better off with a beat up '67 Mustang than a '07 Focus!

Last edited by CrazyMatt; August 22 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: grammar
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 05:39 PM   #33
feek61
Captain

What he said ^

If I wanted to watch cartoons; I would watch TAS
Old August 22 2013, 05:58 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

Some things in TOS-R were respectable. I'm thinking of the matte painting scenes where the original scenes were given more depth and the camera pulled back a bit. Other things I really disliked such as adding a visible beam to Scotty's phaser in "The Naked Time" (ruined the coolness factor of the original invisible beam), adding blinking eyes to the Gorn, needlessly changing Kara's ship in "Spock's Brain" and the awful contemporary looking Tholian ships.
Old August 23 2013, 04:22 AM   #35
Push The Button
Captain

Agreed, it was good to see Eddie Paskey in this documentary.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:04 AM   #36
CrazyMatt
Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Some things in TOS-R were respectable. I'm thinking of the matte painting scenes where the original scenes were given more depth and the camera pulled back a bit. Other things I really disliked such as adding a visible beam to Scotty's phaser in "The Naked Time" (ruined the coolness factor of the original invisible beam), adding blinking eyes to the Gorn, needlessly changing Kara's ship in "Spock's Brain" and the awful contemporary looking Tholian ships.
I agree on the matte shots, they were a big improvement over the originals (no disrespect to Albert Whitlock). But almost every ship depicted in space looked 'cartoonish' to me... I expected the remastered Enterprise and the other starships shown to be of the same quality as the CGI Defiant from "In A Mirror, Darkly." Unfortunately, that wasn't the case... ever.
Old August 24 2013, 03:44 AM   #37
Harvey
Admiral

Other things I really disliked such as adding a visible beam to Scotty's phaser in "The Naked Time" (ruined the coolness factor of the original invisible beam)
These Are The Voyages claims:

"Due to a delivery deadline (this was the fourth episode to air), there was no time left to add in a phaser beam as Scotty burns through the bulkhead outside Engineering" (p.188).

This strikes me as plausible, although it's not sourced by an interview or a production document, which makes it hard to discern if it's the author's speculation or a verified fact.

Given the UCLA collection's sparse documentation for "The Naked Time," I suspect the latter, although there's a folder of correspondence with the Anderson Company which I haven't read.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 04:33 AM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Even so, sometimes circumstance leads to a result that works just as well or better.
Old August 24 2013, 06:06 AM   #39
scotpens
Vice Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
. . . And, oh by the way, wouldn't have been nice if they used the same font in both "U.S.S." and "CONSTELLATION"? Look close and you'll see they're different. SLOPPY and INATTENTIVE WORK says I.
I never noticed that before. "U.S.S." is in the correct military-style font while "Constellation" is in a more generic signage font. That's simply unforgivable.

Old August 24 2013, 07:52 AM   #40
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I can give or take the effects. I thinks models look better than cheap CGI but the graininess of the old effects film makes me more inclined to watch the new fx despite its sometime cartoonish features.
Watching the new fx makes me think how good the acting and scripts were for this episode when we could understand what was going on in this episode with half the fx missing as it was originally.

I think I'm alone here but I'm going to say it anyway. I don't like the design of the planet killer - windsock or cigar shape thing that it was. I think we should have a competition to design a new planet killer totally different from either one on screen. It should have lots of dohickeys on it and look big and cool and scary. I know lots of people like its design but not me.

I try not to think too much about the workings of the planet killer but planets are great big things. Don't you think it would take decades at least to actually consume a planet unless the planet killer was way bigger than seen on screen?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 07:58 AM   #41
CrazyMatt
Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
I never noticed that before. "U.S.S." is in the correct military-style font while "Constellation" is in a more generic signage font. That's simply unforgivable.
It shows even better in this shot:

Old August 24 2013, 03:18 PM   #42
jpv2000
Captain

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Agreed, it was good to see Eddie Paskey in this documentary.
Yes, it was.

The Doomsday Machine is one of my favorite episodes. It also had my favorite version of the green wrap around captain's shirt. I liked it much better without the black trim around the "V" neck.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 04:36 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

That is sloppy. And I agree they overdid the battle damage.
Old August 24 2013, 07:32 PM   #44
publiusr
Commodore

I must be one of the few who don't mind the way the planet killer looks with the original f/x. I like the rough hewn alien look.
I do too. If anything, the only way to do a decent model of how this looked on screen in my opinion, is to find a master glass blower of Chihuly's level.

Oh, to have been around to do a three-D scan...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 08:31 PM   #45
Push The Button
Captain

Looks like they just crunched the width of the letters in "Constellation" a little to make it fit.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote