Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2013, 02:25 AM   #46
Aldo
Admiral

Re: I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

That's what I'm getting at though, Tarantino is extremely self-indulgent (more so now than when he was just starting out). So to me the comment comes off like the pot calling the kettle black.
Old August 26 2013, 03:28 AM   #47
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Twin Peaks movie gets hate from some circles, but it's a masterpiece and deeply moving. While also being terrifying as all shit.
Because of all the talk about it going on in here I got out the soundtrack today and listened to it.
Old August 26 2013, 03:57 AM   #48
Aldo
Admiral

Does the soundtrack include 'Laura's theme?' That's my absolute favorite musical piece from the television show.
Old August 26 2013, 04:12 AM   #49
trevanian
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
For a lot of people there is a dip partway through the 2nd season, but I'd suggest you ride it out all the way to the end ….
I completely disagree. IMO, if the viewer quits mid-second season at the end of the Laura Palmer storyline, the show holds together as the greatest miniseries in TV history. If the viewer keeps going into the Windom Earle plot it's a huge letdown.

Not just because the show ends
but because, while the Palmer storyline more or less held together with the show playing fair with clues from day one
the subsequent storyline came off as being made up as it went along.
All of the nature of the lodge stuff is fascinating to me, endlessly so. Couple that with Heather Graham's character knowing Heisenberg and it more than makes up for James being on the road and all that crap.

Season 3 would have been more Major Briggs, and since he was along with Albert my fave, I'd've been so there.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 04:20 AM   #50
trevanian
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
finished. We can all try to delude ourselves that there was some meaning in that final scene but, ultimately, it was the set up for a third season that never occurred and nothing more. And to make matters worse, when Lynch had the chance to finish it with the movie, instead he made a damn prequel.

It's as if George Lucas got bored after ESB and jumped right to the Phantom Menace instead of RotJ.
There hasn't been a decent SW movie since EMPIRE, so I'm not seeing the distinction here. better ship stuff in JEDI, but more fuzzies too.

Back on topic, Lynch did NOT have the chance to do the movie as planned. Everything I ever read about the movie indicates that the whole proposed film changed entirely because Kyle did not want to be in it or tie himself up for any period of time, and so this was what they came up with as a stop-gap, hoping to do more films if this first cheapie (6.5 mil, and still didn't make a profit, supposedly) was successful. I'm pretty sure a lot of this got discussed in CINEFANTASTIQUE before the movie came out, so it isn't just stuff from WRAPPED IN PLASTIC.

The movie really messed me up. Movies don't get to me that way. Yeah, I cry when Bronson dies at the end of Magnificent 7, but I mean I don't get shook up by horror type stuff. Yet when I was driving home after FWWM, I had to pull off the road because I just started shaking. I think the music from the bar scene somehow got under my skin and started resonating or something.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 05:50 AM   #51
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'm 100% fine with the way the story has been wrapped by the end of FWWM. It might not be what everyone wanted but it is an ending.
Old August 26 2013, 12:59 PM   #52
the G-man
Commodore

Season 3 would have been more Major Briggs, and since he was along with Albert my fave, I'd've been so there.
I would have liked to have seen that as well. Of course, we never got that. Instead we got an aborted plot line, a couple of cliffhangers (one involving Audry being sorta campy) and a prequel that really didn't tie anything up
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 02:29 PM   #53
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I think the music from the bar scene somehow got under my skin and started resonating or something.
You mean "The Pink Room"? That's traditionally been my favorite track on the album...

Aldo wrote:
Does the soundtrack include 'Laura's theme?' That's my absolute favorite musical piece from the television show.
That's on the show's soundtrack, not the one for FWWM.
Old August 26 2013, 02:34 PM   #54
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Season one is some of the most brilliant television ever produced.
Old August 26 2013, 05:55 PM   #55
Aldo
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post

Aldo wrote:
Actually I was trying to ask if that piece was featured in the movie. Though your answer seems to tell me that it's not.
Old August 26 2013, 07:17 PM   #56
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Aldo wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post

Aldo wrote:
Actually I was trying to ask if that piece was featured in the movie. Though your answer seems to tell me that it's not.
No, it is (after all, it is a film about Laura Palmer!), and I think snippets are used on the FWWM soundtrack, but the full Laura's theme isn't on the film OST simply because it was already on the series soundtrack. The FWWM one mostly has the film's new music with the tracks used from the show avaliable elsewhere.

I love FWWM and think in this one case, the actual backstory we're given and more importantly, Laura Palmer herself is more interesting once her life is actually revealed than the cryptic and spread out clues given before. That's incredibly rare for a prequel, IMO.
Old August 28 2013, 02:00 AM   #57
Aldo
Admiral

^^^^Thanks for that answer. As I said above it's one of my favorite pieces of music.

I can't remember what the last episode I posted about was, but I continue on. Even though the show feels pretty different now that they've gotten past the Laura Palmer story, it's still holding my interest. The Windom Earle storyline is interesting, but right now what's fascinating me more is the ongoing story lines of some of the side characters: The story with Big Ed and Nadine is I think my favorite story line. I also liked seeing David Warner show up and the guy who played the "Old Man" from Robocop that are both involved in the Josie storyline.

The movie should arrive tomorrow in the mail, and I will probably finish off the series by Friday, so that's when I plan to watch it. I might make myself popcorn and everything.
Old August 30 2013, 02:22 AM   #58
Warp Core Breach
Commodore

The movie really messed me up. Movies don't get to me that way. Yeah, I cry when Bronson dies at the end of Magnificent 7, but I mean I don't get shook up by horror type stuff. Yet when I was driving home after FWWM, I had to pull off the road because I just started shaking. I think the music from the bar scene somehow got under my skin and started resonating or something.
I had a similar experience after seeing it in a theater in 1992. I'd been a fan of the show beforehand, but after the movie ended I walked out of the theater and felt completely disoriented and almost couldn't walk at all. I do recall that feeling starting around the time the bar scene came around as well. Anyway, no other movie has done that to me before or since. It was a bit overwhelming.

Aldo, it's a great series and a great followup movie as well, glad you're enjoying it so far.
Warp Core Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:12 AM   #59
Aldo
Admiral

I hope you guys aren't over-hyping the movie too much I'd hate to be let down. But I have a feeling I won't, though the fact that Lara Flynn Boyle is not in the movie is already a disappointment for me (though Moira Kelly certainly looks the part from the trailer I watched).

I watched another two episodes today. Like I said I'm really digging the Windom Earle storyline, I suppose now that I'm nearing the end I'm a tad disappointed there may not be an actual resolution...but that's what happens when shows get canceled. I think I have about three episodes left of the show. If I can finish all three tomorrow I will watch the movie in the evening.

One last thing, since I'm so close to the end of the series I've lifted my self imposed embargo of reading in depth discussions of the series. And I came across an interesting piece of news: supposedly Lynch intends to do a Season 3 that's set 25 years after the last episode the show? Anyone heard anything about that? And how much validity is there to those statements.

With Netflix being an outlet for long cancelled shows, it seems more possible than ever that if Twin Peaks would be brought back, now would be the time to do it.
Old August 30 2013, 06:48 AM   #60
Warp Core Breach
Commodore

The series ends well, in my opinion, although it does end on several cliffhangers as well. I always left the followup to my imagination. You'll see what I mean shortly.

And I haven't heard anything about Lynch planning a followup series, but it would be cool if true.
Warp Core Breach is offline   Reply With Quote