Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2013, 10:51 PM   #31
Aldo
Admiral

Re: I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

the G-man wrote: View Post

I can't, in good conscience, tell someone to start on another story is the series when the creator didn't bother to finish it and especially given that it wasn't as good as the first one.
Opinion noted

Going into the show I knew two things: I knew that there was an opinion that once the Laura Palmer story-line was done it got weaker (in many peoples eyes). And also that because it got cancelled, it most likely (I wasn't sure about this at the time) didn't resolve the second story-line, which I'm OK with.

I'm determined to see it through, then move on to the movie.
Old August 24 2013, 11:21 PM   #32
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote:
And to make matters worse, when Lynch had the chance to finish it with the movie, instead he made a damn prequel.
I remember how the information on that front before the movie came out kept getting worse: first there was a rumor that the movie would be half in the past of the show and half in the future ( after season 2 ), then they said the last half-hour would be the future stuff, then the film came out and it was just one insubstantial scene.
Old August 25 2013, 01:52 AM   #33
Aldo
Admiral

What intrigues me about the movie (and this is dangerous territory, as I'd hate to spoil myself on it), is that it seems that about half of the cast of the show was in it at one point, but their scenes got deleted.

I'm curious if perhaps a handful of them were just incidental cameos that Lynch felt were not necessary to the overall flow of the film?
Old August 25 2013, 05:36 AM   #34
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
What intrigues me about the movie (and this is dangerous territory, as I'd hate to spoil myself on it), is that it seems that about half of the cast of the show was in it at one point, but their scenes got deleted.

I'm curious if perhaps a handful of them were just incidental cameos that Lynch felt were not necessary to the overall flow of the film?
The shooting script is out there and here is a great piece looking at all the missing scenes and dialogue.

Obviously serious spoilers for the series and film on this page. check it out though if interested once you finish.

http://dugpa.com/features/twin-peaks...eleted-scenes/

I haven't read this through in awhile, but I remember a lot of the deleted character stuff was, as you said, mostly cameo type roles. A lot of the scenes were more lighthearted and Lynch likely thought it would have felt disjointed (the film is much darker than the show).
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 03:41 PM   #35
Aldo
Admiral

Thanks for that! I'll definitely give it a look after I wrap up the series and watch the film
Old August 25 2013, 04:24 PM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

the G-man wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Laura Palmer story was made up as it went along too, it's not really a big deal.
But the Laura story didn't seem that way. The Earle one did.

Look, bottom line here is that the second story never even finished. We can all try to delude ourselves that there was some meaning in that final scene but, ultimately, it was the set up for a third season that never occurred and nothing more. And to make matters worse, when Lynch had the chance to finish it with the movie, instead he made a damn prequel.

It's as if George Lucas got bored after ESB and jumped right to the Phantom Menace instead of RotJ.

I can't, in good conscience, tell someone to start on another story is the series when the creator didn't bother to finish it and especially given that it wasn't as good as the first one.
Different strokes for different folks. I think the finale is one of the best things ever televised. It's the most Lynch-ian episode of the series.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:24 PM   #37
Aldo
Admiral

^^^I like the sound of that. As I continue to watch the show I make special notes of the episodes that Lynch either wrote and directed...and I find I enjoy those episodes a lot more. There is a certain quirkiness to the way Lynch sees life that I respond greatly to.

In fact I'm really interested in seeing 'Blue Velvet' now.
Old August 25 2013, 06:27 PM   #38
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Blue Velvet is a classic. My favourite Lynch film is Lost Highway, it completely gets under my skin. The Twin Peaks movie gets hate from some circles, but it's a masterpiece and deeply moving. While also being terrifying as all shit.
Old August 25 2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Aldo
Admiral

Unfortunately 'Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me" is currently unavailable in my region on bluray, so I went ahead and ordered the DVD for cheap.

I should get it around the time I finish out the series, so I can watch it while the series is still fresh in my mind I'm actually really excited about tackling the movie, I can't wait.
Old August 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #40
Kirkman1987
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Blue Velvet is a classic. My favourite Lynch film is Lost Highway, it completely gets under my skin. The Twin Peaks movie gets hate from some circles, but it's a masterpiece and deeply moving. While also being terrifying as all shit.
This.

My favorite Lynch film is either Blue Velvet or Eraserhead. Blue Velvet is essential if you like Twin Peaks because it has Kyle and explores some of the same themes as the show. It's actually playing Near me next Saturday....I can't wait.

I hated the Twin Peaks movie the first time I saw it because I didn't know what to expect. Seeing it a few more times, I've come to like it a lot. It's disturbing and beautiful, everything you would want from a Lynch movie.

Edit

Have I mentioned that I'm a huge Lynch fan? :-)

Old August 25 2013, 10:34 PM   #41
Aldo
Admiral

I'm definitely interested in seeking out more Lynch films after the wonderful Twin Peaks and (hopefully) wonderful prequel film.

Anyways, I was looking up the (over the top maybe?) reactions to "Fire Walk with Me" and came across this gem from Tarantino giving his reaction to said film:

David Lynch has disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to watch another David Lynch film until I hear something different.
Now I haven't seen the film, so of course I can't comment one way or another on it's quality, but this quote is rather comical, coming from him. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Tarantino's films, but the man does come across like he believes his own hype.
Old August 25 2013, 11:51 PM   #42
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Critical opinion of the movie has pretty much reversed since the movie's initial release. It's widely regarded by Lynch fans as a great movie. Wonder what Tarantino would say now.

The movie lacks the light-hearted feel of the series, but it still contains that sense of beauty and wonder. It's just harder to make the audience laugh I guess when your film focuses on incestual sexual abuse and demonic powers.
Old August 26 2013, 12:33 AM   #43
Aldo
Admiral

It's not so much Tarantino's opinion that bothered me, it's the asinine way he expressed it. Especially since he makes self indulgent films himself, one could say the exact same thing about him, that he's so far up his own ass lately...etc.
Old August 26 2013, 12:45 AM   #44
Kirkman1987
Commodore

The film not entirely humorless. The opening prologue section is pretty light and contains some of the funnier bits of any Lynch film. Every time I watch the film I wish Lynch would have made a entire film with those characters.
Old August 26 2013, 01:11 AM   #45
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
It's not so much Tarantino's opinion that bothered me, it's the asinine way he expressed it. Especially since he makes self indulgent films himself, one could say the exact same thing about him, that he's so far up his own ass lately...etc.
I... like self-indulgence in art. I love paintings that were made just to satisfy the painter, films that were made without thought of the mass audience, and rock albums that contain 45 minute long songs about mental illness.

The less self-indulgent something is for me, the less pure it seems. Some of my absolute favourite modern films, such as Southland Tales and Sucker Punch are totally self-indulgent. I'm working on a novel right now whilst giving zero thought to my target audience or how to fully satisfy them. I feel no shame in this.

The more people a piece of work tries to please, the more diluted it has to become, and the more compromises it has to make.

My two pence.