Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 18 2013, 05:38 PM   #31
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Favourite Bridge

scotpens wrote: View Post
Way too "designed" for my taste. Looks too much like a set.
That is the way I feel about the Enterprise E bridge.
Old August 18 2013, 08:27 PM   #32
Mage
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Sulu must be taking the picture.
The reason the helmsman's chair remained empty was to honour Sulu, who wasn't on the E anymore (duh! ). So, instead of putting any other helmsmen there, they decided to keep the chair empty as a salute.
Old August 18 2013, 08:37 PM   #33
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I realized it must be the Enterprise-A bridge from ST6, though the comment in the picture post wasn't specific (the bridge sort of changed with every film), and it was my feeble attempt at a joke.
Old August 18 2013, 10:10 PM   #34
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Enterprise-A bridge (Star Trek V).
I'll second this one.

TFF often gets overlooked in many areas, and I think production design is one. There are some places where Shatner was forced, for budgetary reasons, to use some of the standing TNG sets, and those look horrible in the TFF context. But everywhere they were able to do original work, I think Herman Zimmerman and his team did a fantastic job.

In particular, I think the bridge from TFF is the best melding of the simple, functional layout from TOS and the warm, inviting look of TNG. It seems a logical intermediary step between the two as well. I go against the majority and dislike what Nick Meyer did with it in TUC. He made it too cold and military for my taste. I much prefer the TFF variant. Shame it only made one appearance.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:29 PM   #35
Gojira
Commodore

Yes the bridge from TFF is a design I live better than Trek VI. That bridge is TFF had some comfort and warmth to it while the bridge in Trek VI is too cold and sterile for my tastes.
Old August 18 2013, 11:41 PM   #36
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Are the STV and VI bridges the same set? I ask because it looks so much smaller and more cramped in VI. Perhaps just the magic of lighting?
Old August 19 2013, 12:12 AM   #37
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

CoveTom wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Enterprise-A bridge (Star Trek V).
I'll second this one.

TFF often gets overlooked in many areas, and I think production design is one. There are some places where Shatner was forced, for budgetary reasons, to use some of the standing TNG sets, and those look horrible in the TFF context. But everywhere they were able to do original work, I think Herman Zimmerman and his team did a fantastic job.

In particular, I think the bridge from TFF is the best melding of the simple, functional layout from TOS and the warm, inviting look of TNG. It seems a logical intermediary step between the two as well. I go against the majority and dislike what Nick Meyer did with it in TUC. He made it too cold and military for my taste. I much prefer the TFF variant. Shame it only made one appearance.
True.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 12:21 AM   #38
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Are the STV and VI bridges the same set? I ask because it looks so much smaller and more cramped in VI. Perhaps just the magic of lighting?

The turbolifts are in different positions.
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ns/Page_22.jpg
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ns/Page_23.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...alfrontier.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...e-a-bridge.jpg

Was a new set built for TUC?
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 02:34 AM   #39
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

No, it's the same set. But it was rather extensively redressed at Nick Meyer's request and the lighting was very different. Each section of the bridge was built as a "pie wedge" that could easily be removed and repositioned. Hence how the same set could be the Enterprise and the Reliant in TWOK and the same set could be the Enterprise and the Excelsior in TUC.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 02:49 AM   #40
Push The Button
Captain

The original series Enterprise bridge is my favorite, though I have always liked the spartan yet functional bridge on the Romulan Bird of Prey in "Balance of Terror"...plaster ceiling and all.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 03:23 AM   #41
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

The original series bridge and the one in the Abrams movies.
Old August 19 2013, 08:21 AM   #42
Captain Rob
Commodore

I really like the bridge from STVI, but it's not my favorite. Did the designers just suddenly forget where on the ship the bridge is supposed to be? What was the rationale behind putting the turbolifts on opposite sides of the bridge?
Old August 19 2013, 08:46 AM   #43
TheSubCommander
Captain

Alternate timeline Enterprise-D in Yesterday's Enterprise

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/me..._alternate.jpg

Otherwise, Enterprise-A in TUC.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 05:32 PM   #44
Lance
Commodore

For asthetic reasons I've always had a fondness for the bridge of "The Cage". It's basically the TOS bridge, but with a cool battleship-gray mystique. It wasn't sterile like some of the movie TOS bridges, but it had a great sense of realism that the standard (brightly colored) TOS bridge sometimes lacks.

A lot of the later bridges felt too stylized for my liking. Less like realistic command centers, more like elaborate science fiction TV show stage sets. They all felt cluttered, like they were full of consoles that are just there to look cool rather than because it was a logical design. Especially flawed in this regard are the 1701-E and the Voyager bridges, neither of which I really took to. I do like the Defiant though. That one was the best for capturing the essence of the TOS bridge. It felt like the production designer had put a lot of thought into it, like they'd sat at their desk and said "If Starfleet existed in the real world, what would one of their starship bridges actually look like?". The Defiant felt real to me, and the only other bridges that came close to that feeling for me were the ones used in "The Cage" and the first three TOS movies.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:38 PM   #45
Cardassian3279
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cardassian3279 Send a message via Yahoo to Cardassian3279

I think it is difficult to choose which the best bridge of starships in space....I would choose Enterprise E because it's very nice design, agree with me? and Enterprise C because I like the curve when Worf work the tactical and weapon station, that what I like this.

Prometheus, I like it and very bright bridge lol,

As Cardassian starship favourite, Cardassian bridge is alright with me.

Klingon bridge is cool cos dark and weird.

I wonder what gonna happen to Enterprise G's bridge though, Any thought?

Thank you,

Martyn
Cardassian3279 is offline   Reply With Quote