Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Star Trek Director?
Robert Wise (The Motion Picture) 9 12.33%
Nicholas Meyer (The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country) 33 45.21%
Leonard Nimoy (The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home) 7 9.59%
William Shatner (The Final Frontier) 3 4.11%
David Carson (Generations) 1 1.37%
Jonathan Frakes (First Contact, Insurrection) 6 8.22%
Stuart Baird (Nemesis) 0 0%
J.J. Abrams (Star Trek [2009], Into Darkness) 14 19.18%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18 2013, 10:35 AM   #16
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Favorite Star Trek film director?

Meyer, for Spock's death scene in "Wrath of Khan" more than anything else.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Mage
Commodore

Difficult.

Robert Wise gave us TMP, which I really love! But Meyer did both TWOK and TUC, which I can rewatch almost all the time.

Frakes really understood TNG and the characters, so both of his TNG outings worked great for me, even though I prefer INS over FC.

And I love what JJ did with nuTrek.

But I'll think I'll go for Meyer. His work on both TWOK and TUC was fantastic, both character-wise and the feel of both of his films in general.
Old August 18 2013, 08:48 PM   #18
dub
Fleet Captain

Meyer. It would have been interesting to see a TNG film directed by him...
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Abrams. Because, love or hate the scripts or lens flares he works with, he's got a great sense of pacing and how to use the camera to dramatic effect. For all his talent and experience Wise was out of his element on TMP. The rest aren't career directors and all suffer from deficiencies in their overall direction even if they excel in one aspect or another.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 03:56 PM   #20
suarezguy
Commodore

Meyer by far, albeit somewhat by default. Wise did pretty well for the most part but the length of the special effects felt excessive (in part due to the actors' non-reaction), Abrams is too bombastic and the rest are too non-ambitious (First Contact was great but given Insurrection I have to give most of the credit to the writers, Stewart and production design).
Old August 19 2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Abrams. Because, love or hate the scripts or lens flares he works with, he's got a great sense of pacing and how to use the camera to dramatic effect.
This. And as an aspiring filmmaker myself, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the moment in Into Darkness near the beginning, when Kirk's face fills the screen, asking, "What would he do?" Slow, slight pan and change of focus, as McCoy (closer to the camera) now fills the screen, saying, "He'd let you die." Slight pan and change of focus back to Kirk, as he takes in Bones's words....

It's so understated, and yet so powerful--and it perfectly captures the emotions of the moment--and watching that, I thought, "I don't care what anyone else says...THAT is the work of a great director!"

JJ gets my vote. And personally...I don't have a problem with the lens flares.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Nicholas Meyer. TWOK and TUC are among the best films in the bunch. Listening to the commentaries and interviews it's clear hat Meyer understood and respected the characters. Although Gene disapproved, I loved his more naval bent to the series (It was always there, but Meyer greatly expanded those parallels).

as a quick note, and this doesn't factor into my ranking, I loved his Sherlock Holmes books.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:10 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Nicholas Meyer. TWOK and TUC are among the best films in the bunch. Listening to the commentaries and interviews it's clear hat Meyer understood and respected the characters. Although Gene disapproved, I loved his more naval bent to the series (It was always there, but Meyer greatly expanded those parallels).

as a quick note, and this doesn't factor into my ranking, I loved his Sherlock Holmes books.
And don't forget Time After Time.
Old August 20 2013, 05:16 PM   #24
J.T.B.
Commodore

Wise was the best director and TMP the best-directed. But he came from a generation where directors weren't "stars" and didn't call attention to themselves, and people didn't go to movies to say "Look at that directing!" What he does is straightforward, deceptively simple, effective and great storytelling.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

That's not really true. Wise was an editor for Orson Welles' and Welles was a rockstar amongst directors before there was such a thing as a rock star.
Admiral James Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:29 PM   #26
J.T.B.
Commodore

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
That's not really true. Wise was an editor for Orson Welles' and Welles was a rockstar amongst directors before there was such a thing as a rock star.
Well... yep, I've got to concede on Welles.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 10:10 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Well... yep, I've got to concede on Welles.
I'd throw in Hitchcock as an early superstar director as well.
Old August 20 2013, 10:57 PM   #28
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

^ there were a lot more if you go by the auteur theory lol
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:53 AM   #29
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

(Data voice): Indeed. I must also offer the examples of Howard Hawks, John Ford, Sam Fuller, Billy Wilder, Frank Capra, Cecile B. DeMille...
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 10:42 PM   #30
GNDN
Commodore

Had to go with Meyer. While I feel TUC itself is somewhat overrated, I do feel that Meyer overall gave us the best mix of character, intrigue, and action.

Wise gave us a fully formed future reality, though rather sterile and lacking in the very humanity the story tried to embrace. I place the blame more on Roddenberry's evolving image of the future he was trying to write about, but Wise was at the helm directing the actors. I adore the film, but not my favorite direction (editing did no favors here either)

TWOK came with a literal vengeance, retaking the pace, the fun, the humanity and the foibles of our beloved crew. Still my favorite film of the series, although far from the most technically advanced or deepest of story lines, this gave us a simultaneously vulnerable and pompous Kirk.

Nimoy's outings contributed great character, respect for the original series and a wonderful romp with TVH. Understated, proficient, and very impressive for a freshman director.

Shatner -- what can I say, boundless enthusiasm but never bought the story, the guest aliens or the Kirk/Spock dynamic here. This is a cartoon. Some moments of interest, but not a cohesive whole. The budget may be partially to blame, but it is also the director's job to work within the limits set by TPTB (see TWOK)

Carson did a good job with the script he was handed. The Ent-D never looked better and again there are some nice moments, but nothing to break free of the cookie-cutter script.

Frakes gave us all the enthusiasm Shatner had, but worked much more successfully within the scope of the productions he was given. Talented, assured, and very well-done, that is till he was handed the mess that INS became.

Baird can handle action schlock, but please stay far, far away from ST

Abrams has brought the series into the 21st century of big-budget, big-action movie making and does an impeccable job at it. Financially successful, well received by the larger audience, pays homage to the trappings of TOS, but, like Shatner, is making cartoons, just highly entertaining, incredibly polished, very fun cartoons